Remote Woes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by New2tubes, Jan 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New2tubes

New2tubes New Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a dilemma. I recently purchased a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP power amplifier (love it!) but the supplied remote is no good. Apparently, this is a discontinued model and no replacement remotes are available in the USA. Does anyone know of a universal remote that will change my PL amp from Ultra-liner to Triode mode? Without a working remote, the mode can not be changed.

Thanks,
    Bill.

2. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Where did you purchase the amp? PrimaLuna is generally handled by Upscale Audio in the U.S., so that would be the first point of contact. I doubt a universal remote is going to solve your problem since you have a remote that doesn't seem to be working and you need a functioning remote in order to program a universal. Maybe give Upscale Audio a call and see what they suggest.

jonwoody likes this.
  3. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

Do you know the remote is the culprit and not the IR receiver and associated circuitry on the amplifier? If you can get access to a camera that detects IR, you can see if the remote is actually putting out IR light or not. Also remotes are usually repairable depending upon their failure mode.

4. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Logitech Harmony makes great universal remotes with a huge database of programmable components. It may be worth your time to look them up.

Per an earlier post, you don’t need a functioning remote in order to program the Harmony. You simply connect it to a computer and download whatever components you want, as long as they are in the Logitech database.

They are pretty fantastic and well worth it, especially for those with more than 2 remotes as this allows a much simpler/elegant way of controlling everything.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  5. Brad2021hk

Brad2021hk Forum Resident

Just a note that Logitech has exited the universal remote business. Buy them while you can. Hope Logitech keeps adding device support.
    Announcement: Harmony Remote Manufacturing, Service and Support Update

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Did you buy the gear used or new?

Remotes often wear out, but seldom die in the box.

If it turns out to be a worn remote, try p1repair.com. I just purchased a "membrane keypad" that goes in between the rubber keypad and the internal contacts. I installed it in my old, half-dead remote for my Yamaha A/V receiver and it now works like a champ.

F1nut likes this.
  7. New2tubes

I did purchase the amp through Upscale Audio and they are working with me to solve my problem. Since the amp is a discontinued product, no spare remotes exist in the USA. The folks at Upscale Audio are checking to see if a replacement can be found in China or elsewhere.

8. New2tubes

I just purchased my PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP amplifier (open box). I have no way of knowing if the remote is bad or if it's the associated circuitry in the amp. It's a one button, one function remote. So no easy way for me to confirm it's a bad remote.

9. New2tubes

Don't many universal remotes come pre programed? In other words, when you enter a number (found in the manual), then the remote will control a Sony TV or a Yamaha CD player. etc. I just can't find a universal remote that controls the brand of PrimaLuna. I'm not looking for a programmable remote or learning remote. I'm looking for a remote that knows (has pre-programmed) codes for numerous brands. Hypothetically, maybe the mute code for an Onkyo amp is the same as the code to switch my PrimaLuna from Ultra-liner to Triode mode. I'm hoping someone knows this secret. Thanks, Bill.

10. New2tubes

It's a new (open box) remote, so it should work. But I' haven't been successful thus far. I measured the voltage in the supplied battery, a CR2032, at 3 volts. I also tried a spare fresh battery but no luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.