Elvis Costello & The Imposters new album: The Boy Named If

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Oct 27, 2021.

1. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Just sprung for the vinyl from Amazon

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  2. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Had to read this several times - Elvis did a tribute to you? Who are you? Then it came into focus...

C6H12O6, Bebstrel, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  3. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

4. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

First-play reaction: I love it. It doesn’t sound like what the reviewers described, however. Not to me. Except for the part about it being excellent. It’s not all fiery. It’s not really a “return to form.” Can’t wait to get the vinyl in my hands tomorrow. Well, later today.

5. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

The last time I saw him, this singing out of time completely ruined the concert for me. He did it on every song. Stop it, Elvis; it's not clever.

twicks and John Hatter like this.
  6. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Just streamed the whole album. It's rocking and melodic in equal measure, and the chap sounds energized and inspired throughout. Makes me appreciate his talent anew actually. Peak level Costello in my book.

7. dee

dee Senior Member

I doubt fwiw, its intentional. It may be more trying to strike a precarious balance between the kind of tempos the songs require in a Rock context and the kind of style of singing he is most capable of delivering? It may also be something physical i.e. not being a young man in age anymore plus health. Over the years he has also become more of a 'crooner' - he always had some form of natural vibrato to his singing, but it didn't really affect his timing all that much, but add in more formal voice training, pitch exercises, and unless you do all that at a Rock kind of tempo, your voice is likely going to get 'heavier' and 'thicker' and while your timbre or tone will be more musical, it can come at a price such as 'elasticity' and speed.

In some ways, its like 'bulking up' vs. 'trimming down'...

And if one is carrying any extra physical challenges plus some age, then it's going to be even more of a challenge to sing on time and sound good doing so.

8. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Not sure if any professional reviews are referring to this as a return to form, but if so that's pretty dumb. It's another strong EC album, but I've found all his records beginning with When I Was Cruel are interchangeable. You could take any song off any of them and stick them on a different album and it wouldn't make any difference. That's not a knock - I would give all his records including this new one 4 stars.

Dave513, Rockford & Roll and bob60 like this.
  9. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

This is a really strong album. Up there with When I Was Cruel and The Delivery Man among his output over the last 20 years.

C6H12O6 and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  10. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

The last 20 years have seen the biggest gap in terms of my enjoyment of his album output, from ones in my top 10 i.e When I Was Cruel, The Delivery Man & Look Now. To some that are right of the bottom for me like Wise Up Ghost.
    Mostly though they fall mid-way in my list of his albums. I've heard the 3 singles & liked them so i'm hoping the release is nearer or even in my top 10....I never thought any new release of his was gonna crack my top 10 & the along came Look Now which i love, so you never know !
    Waiting for the vinyl to drop to a sensible price....sick of paying £30 + then seeing it a few months later at half that price !

My ranking of his LP's since 2002 that i own: ( Haven't heard The Boy Named If yet ) 1 -3 are top 10, 4 -7 mid table & 8 -10 near the bottom for me.

1. When I Was Cruel
    2. Look Now
    3. The Delivery Man
    4. Momofuko
    5. National Ransom
    6. Hey Clockface
    7. River In Reverse
    8. Secret, Profane & Sugarcane
    9. North
    10. Wise Up Ghost

11. Thesmellofvinyl

I’m hearing little flashes of sounds that remind me of Get Happy!!, Imperial Bedroom, Trust, Spike, Brutal Youth and This Year’s Model. I’ll bet others will pop out, too.

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Really? "Button My Lip" could be on North? "That's Not the Part of Him You're Leaving" could be on Wise Up Ghost? "Broken Promise Land" could be on Secret, Profane & Sugarcane?

13. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Obviously North and Secret are genre productions, but if you take away those two, yes, even the songs on Wise Up Ghost sound interchangeable. Again, not a criticism, just the way I hear him.

14. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Wise Up Ghost is 10!? This confirms my belief that the album is severely underrated by EC fans. I listened to it the other day and it’s among his best of the last 20 years for sure.

georgwithoutane and Isitquiex like this.
  15. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

It is unequivocally his best collaboration album in the last 15 years.

16. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Just listened on Tidal and this album isn’t tired or meandering like so many older artists’ albums. There’s energy and great performances from both EC and the band, well done!

I’m excited to hear feedback about the vinyl sound quality.

17. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

I take all your points, but if he can sing rock numbers in time in the studio I don't see why he couldn't when playing live.

dee likes this.
  18. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

I was too depressed after seeing River in Reverse at 7 to make it to 10. Alas, to each their own.

19. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

I love River In Reverse.

20. Thesmellofvinyl

I need to play Wise Up Ghost a little more often. That show EC and The Roots played in NYC was great.

Davido and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I don't like it, but I don't really like the Roots. And I love funk, I just don't think they're a good funk band.

akmonday and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  22. Thesmellofvinyl

I may have misunderstood Alien Ache’s comment; so I changed mine—but not quickly enough.

23. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks.

It is usually easier to do a specific vocal for a specific song in a controlled environement. Hence why it is easier to accomplish in the studio. Even though he records quickly, he can still rehearse the song a number of times to get it just right imo.

24. dee

dee Senior Member

I like your top 5 list though I am fond of North. For me,

Cruel
    Momofuku
    Look Now
    North
    Ransom

25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

He's Lee Dorsey. Duh...