Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I still see the CD version, but it's marked "temporarily out of stock", which I suppose means either they have enough pre-orders to cover their anticipated initial supply, or they're no longer sure when they'll be getting it (or even if they'll be getting it at all).

I put in a pre-order the last time it reappeared, and they haven't cancelled it. As usual with pre-orders, the order details say they don't have a shipping date yet.

trumpet sounds and MikeInFla like this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well, if Janie did sell to Sony, then Vic Anesini could be the mastering engineer and I’d have no complaints. :)

The only cd that I was pissed about is the reissue of In The West. Was quality control all gacked out, at the time?

3. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Well Vinyl sides usually don't go past about 22 min. So right there it isn't looking good for it to be fully complete. I know sometimes they extend beyond 22 so we will see.

ARK likes this.
  4. Experiencereunited

Whats wrong with the EH CD In The West? I was pretty much fine with it. Haven't listened to it for a while though.

5. pool_of_tears

There’s a major speed issue at the end of I Don’t Live Today, for starters. Not sure if it was at the mixing or mastering stage. It’s a glaring error

DTK, jhm and Experiencereunited like this.
  6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Wasn’t Red House from an inferior source compared to the other releases as welll?

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The Royal Albert Hall tracks from the original release were omitted on the EH reissue. Also, the San Diego recordings are oddly mixed. It was arguably a pointless release.

8. Experiencereunited

Thanks I may pull it out again soon.

9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Please stay on topic.

:D

10. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

The vinyl option has gone a d no more CD orders being taken. Looks like a delay in release to me! Maybe there are issues in manufacture!

11. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

From the Editorial Review on the off and on Amazon listing:

Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision is the latest in-depth project from Experience Hendrix, encompassing 5 LP / 1 Blu-Ray DVD of previously unreleased music Jimi Hendrix recorded at his newly created recording facility in 1970. The deluxe box set offers 39 tracks (38 previously unreleased) that were recorded by the new-look Experience (Billy Cox on bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums) at Electric Lady Studios between June and August of 1970, just before the legendary musician’s untimely death the following month. The project also includes 20 newly created 5.1 surround sound mixes of the entire First Rays Of The New Rising Sun album plus three bonus tracks [“Valleys Of Neptune,” “Pali Gap,” and “Lover Man”]. The Blu-ray includes the critically acclaimed, full-length documentary Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision. The film chronicles the creation of the studio, rising from the rubble of a bankrupt Manhattan nightclub to state-of-the-art recording facility inspired by Hendrix’s desire for a permanent studio. Directed by John McDermott and Produced by Janie Hendrix, George Scott and McDermott, the film features exclusive interviews with Steve Winwood [who joined Hendrix on the first night of recording at the new studio], Experience bassist Billy Cox, and original Electric Lady staff members who helped Hendrix realize his dream. The documentary includes never-before-seen footage and photos as well as track breakdowns of Hendrix classics such as “Freedom,” Angel” and “Dolly Dagger” by recording engineer Eddie Kramer. The 5LP’s were pressed on audiophile grade vinyl by Quality Record Pressings and the box set includes an extensive booklet filled with unpublished photos, Hendrix’s handwritten song drafts, and comprehensive liner notes.

12. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

It's the last track on CD10 of an 11CD 1970 studio torrent I grabbed from CT years ago. Although it's listed on the text doc, it's not listed on the cover & booklet notes, so it might have been added by the creator of the torrent, who describes it thusly:

117. Hey Baby. (s, Electric Lady) 7/1/70 G,P,J,S take 2
    with organ overdub by Gerry Guida (16)
    Source: Low Gen Trader Tape

Oh, and did I mention: it's truly awful! Same basic track ("Is the microphone on?"), with ruinous spooky-sounding organ. No idea when the organ was added, but way to ruin a beautiful song...here it hear:

Guida's explanation:
    https://b3gerard.wixsite.com/gerard-b3/j-hendrix

13. So 38 of the 39 unreleased.And a documentary on the Bluray.
    That should get a few people off the fence.

14. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

Truly bad and not in a good way. I'm glad I've lived this long without hearing it before. Reminds me of the time I recorded myself playing guitar along to CSN&Y's 4 Way Street version of Southern Man on a tape recorder and later told my brother it was Jimi Hendrix. He said it sounded terrible! (I told this story before one time!)

15. pool_of_tears

Umm, I’m not sure. I’ll have to check that.

16. pool_of_tears

Ooooof!

17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The photo with Jimi on that page is known to be doctored; it wasn't taken at Electric Lady and it originally pictured drummer Steve Angel with Jimi. Guida inserted a photo of his own face over Steve :laugh:.
    I think his story is to be taken with a big pinch of salt - there's no documentation of Guida being at the "Shokan" house and this Hey Baby sounds so bad it's hard to think it's a genuine attempt instigated by Jimi.

iggyd, gpalz, E_Braunn_Fan and 2 others like this.
  18. healter skealter

Concurred. And if it is something Guida put together after the fact to try to get some kind of twisted kudos, well, EPIC FAIL :laugh:

All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  19. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Digging deep into Jimi's infamous Chick Pea period? ;-)

20. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Good Lord, sounds like the soundtrack to Carnival of Souls.

21. healter skealter

At least it's not as bad as the KISS album of the same name (may Jimi strike me dead for mentioning KISS in one of His threads)

Christopher B and misteranderson like this.
  22. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Plus, the Guida writeup is the worst-written thing I've seen in a long time - spelling, grammar, punctuation, non-existent words... with the music, it's an embarrassment on EVERY level.

DTK and E_Braunn_Fan like this.
  23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Aha so that is why the photo looked so familiar!
    Despite this the photo looked 1968/'69 to me.
    Q. What's the story with the Levine interview?

DTK likes this.
  24. Experiencereunited

I have no issues with the lack of RAH track on the "new" In The West if they would have put out a proper RAH release. They haven't. However, we already have the "old" In The West with the RAH material so no issues from me. Plus we get new mixes for San Diego. All of which I like better than Douglas's except I Don't Live Today. (The Concerts version not Stages)

Basically with the "new" In the West you get all of the "old" In the West less RAH plus almost all of the San Diego Show with new mixes and a pointless Winterland Little Wing (pointless because it was released so many other places already). Except it is my favorite Little Wing of all so maybe not completely pointless. In Little Wing's case I also prefer Douglas's Concerts mix to Eddies.

Bottom line I like the "new" EH In The West.

25. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

The film is a bonus I didn't expect. I hope it runs long and has in-depth info on the history of the studio.
    They've added Pali Gap to FROTNRS that was a glaring omission for most I believe. The new surround sound mixes for the blu-ray; does that mean the CD tracks are remixed as well?

dee and Experiencereunited like this.