Just how good is Ed Sheeran?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cool Chemist, Jan 14, 2022.

1. The equivalent of solo McCartney artistically, with the success of the Beatles commercially.

2. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've still not seen that film. Resigned to the fact I probably never will now. Do you recommend it?

3. Slimpickens

Slimpickens Forum Resident

Well, I'm definitely in the minority here, but IMHO he is a spectacular artist with incredible talent. One of the greatest....

carlwm, MikeManaic61 and Cool Chemist like this.
  4. Cool Chemist

If he's achieved that now, where will he be at 50? The greatest of all time? The GOAT? High praise!

Slimpickens likes this.
  5. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

Its a great film, needed more Ed, less Beatles though

ARK likes this.
  6. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

lol

now i can't stopping singing "hey dude, don't make it bad...." in my head ....

7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Well..
    If you're a Beatles fan there's a chance you might like it. There are some good nods to the group and its history but they're mixed in with a sappy love story.

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

He started off quite original and then managed to dissolve into a slurry of blandness and every songs sounds the same.

Warren Peace and Jarleboy like this.
  9. Cool Chemist

Good to put your neck out. Ed clearly does have something and that may well be incredible talent. You cannot knock his success and it is a long standing success too, despite him still being a relatively young man.

Slimpickens and ARK like this.
  10. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I had not heard that song. I just listened to it. I can somewhat retain the melody of the chorus in my head.

"Werewolves of London" is about number 9,000 on the list of reasons Warren Zevon was cool. :shrug:

Michael Macrone likes this.
  11. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

I was curious and checked one of his latest "Bad Habits" on yt ...damn! it has over 200 million views!!...it has to be unbelievably great!...I was left underwhelmed...does it say more about me:shrug:anyway,crazy that this thread morphed into a Beatles thread so soon :cheers::thumbsup:

Twinge Crispy likes this.
  12. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

He seems like a decent, likable guy in interviews...

But I find his music shallow and empty...

"I'm in love with your body"? Oh, f--- you, Ed! You have a global platform that where you can say anything you want and that's the best you come up with?

LRP99 and Philip Gruber like this.
  13. That comes with sleepovers, chimps, and having your own train and station.

SunSon, Mr. Bewlay and The Trinity like this.
  14. Cool Chemist

I think Hey Jude has just been destroyed for all time.
    Like when a Hoffman member tells you about the bad splice in a track and all you ever hear is that splice forever.
    Ruined. :D

wrappedinsky and lpfreak1170 like this.
  15. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

No denying that werewolves do sport some fantastic hair though

16. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

I’ve been told I look like him, so there’s that. Never knew if I should take it as a positive or negative…

wrappedinsky and carlwm like this.
  17. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

He's the male Jewel.

18. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

The male Adele (Although uses symbols rather than numbers for album titles).

Talented, wrote a few good songs, doesn't look at all like a conventional pop star, and has a whiny voice which for some reason speaks to millions and could now write any old rubbish and get to number 1 off the back of his name.

I don't get it but millions love him.

Warren Peace and Jarleboy like this.
  19. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Women (that I know) seem to really dig him - but qualifying that they ‘don’t find him attractive’. I used to despise him, but now, not so much, and he’s not fit to pick out McCartney’s socks. Ed ranges from breathtakingly awful to quite listenable. I’ve only listened to two of his records, but they are a real rollercoaster. Of course, compared to the likes of Megan Thee Stallion, he’s Bowie.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  20. Rimshottbob

Rimshottbob Forum Resident

Personally, I wish him every success, long may his success continue - good for him! (Much as I feel about Adele).... but musically, my goodness, he's put out some dreadful stuff.... For me? very poor. Some of his lyrics are astonishingly bad.... and I can't stand his just lifeless, weightless, aimless music. Not for me, then.

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  21. Cool Chemist

I don't know how things are in Oregon but if you moved to Britain I guess you could be in for happy times. Milk it?!

22. DMGuy

DMGuy Forum Resident

I've never actually heard him on the radio, and I certainly can't name a song by him.

But, when my wife and I saw the Rolling Stones in Kansas City several years ago, Sheeran opened for them. I think it's safe to say that the crowd was not overly impressed. I certainly didn't enjoy it. My wife is much less firmly entrenched in the 60s and 70s than I am, and I just asked her what she had thought of him. Her answer was very succinct....."he sucked"

serj likes this.
  23. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I don't mind ol' mate Ed. A decent bloke with some passable songs. But there's a lot of decent blokes with passable songs out there, and I'm not sure what separates this bloke from all the other blokes.

I guess the punters have decided that there's room for just one decent bloke with passable songs, and Ed is it.

--Geoff

24. Cool Chemist

Is it the over use of autotune or....? What causes Sheeran-rage?

25. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

I blame this free publicity he got on The Simpsons:

[​IMG]