Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Because I haven’t bought any Hendrix bootlegs in years and years, theoretically the 38 “previously unreleased” tracks will be very interesting to me.

The question I have though is if they will actually be totally unreleased tracks commercially?

In other words, can EH get away with minor mixing tweaks of things already available and call them previously unreleased?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  2. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

I don’t think they will be pushing credibility to that extent. I do think there will be a number of Hendrix supervised mixes of material previously released but which were posthumous mixes. For some, these may fall within the category of unwanted ‘minor mixing tweaks’; for me, these are important recordings that I really want to hear and will be happy to have on the set. I think there has already been speculation on this thread that the material on disc 3 may be this type of thing, Hendrix’s own mixes, released takes with different overdubs etc. I say bring them on!

3. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

"Pushing their credibility" LOL. I think Songs For Groovy Children pushed their credibility over the edge for me. Previously I gave them the benefit of the doubt or chalked some of their verbiage up to overhyped marketing people.

After Songs For Groovy Children they have basically lost my trust in anything they tout. So 38 of 39 tracks unreleased will require listening verification on my end.

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Amen!
    BeaVe

dryjoy likes this.
  5. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

What was so wrong with Groovy Children?

If they (EH) had put as much into most other releases we would may well concider them in a better light.

As for pre release blurb, it's usually BS and inaccurate so I guess this is the same.

Ceabhairbunnáin, 905, Alan57 and 6 others like this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Tacking on 10 seconds of studio banter can make a mixed track we've had for decades "previously unreleased". Alt modern mixes of IOW tracks on Purple box were "unreleased" or recycled mail order only Dagger tracks for Target bonus tracks for VON or PHA were "commercially unavailable". Janie's spin doctors can be entreating to watch in themselves on those hype stickers(viewable on discogs) and press releases.

I'm just surprised we can't guess the track we had before.

Did EH leave any 1970 Hendrix mix "unprotected" copyright wise or were they all officially released at some point somewhere?

Sis+erRay likes this.
  7. Experiencereunited

The multiple blatantly inaccurate press releases was the problem. For me it was beyond just being inaccurate and was in fact blatant lies to paint a narrative for something it really wasn't.

As for the set itself really good just don't want to insistently be told it was something that it wasn't. Would I have liked it more complete of course but for me the more major issue was being told by EH it was complete, having journalists argue with me about it being complete (and then by the way cutting off any new comments about their piece as I proved them wrong) and having a major fan uproar about it. All the while existing boots in circulation confirmed a good chunk of what was missing and later another fan finding even more info from the Museum of Pop Culture about other inaccuracies. Reminds me of the Freedom of Information act. LOL.

As I said previously I gave EH the benefit of the doubt about their press releases in the past but not after SFOGC. That release eroded all trust for in what they say is on their releases.

Bottom line just outline what the release really is don't try to rewrite history and make it out as fact.

8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I don't get it. Of all the stuff EH has put out, Groovy Children is the one that pushed you over the edge?? You'd think it would be the Electric Ladyland 50th, which nobody seems to like at all.

Groovy Children is pretty fantastic. I couldn't care less about the handful of songs left off it.

I'm sure you know your subject, but the sentence in bold and italics doesn't make any sense. Could you clarify?

9. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Got ya!

It's the deliberate inaccurate pre release comment that rankles! They been at it for years.

They did comment how a mistake was made and they did take responsibility to a degree re Groovy Kids. Sort of a gloss over imo.

10. SoundAdvice

Tracks we all know from Isle of Wight get 2000 era new mixes from Kramer. That makes them "previously unreleased" on the purple box.

Dagger CDs are not considered "commercial" releases. When Janie grabs a couple of those tracks for the Target exclusive version of Valley of Neptune CD they are advertised as "commercially unavailable exclusive bonus tracks". Janie also recycled some Clark Dagger stuff for the Treasures Book bonus CD that got similar billing as the Target CD.

The point is that when EH say "previously unreleased" that can sometimes mean games of splitting hairs about mixes and edits.

Sis+erRay, E.Baba and misteranderson like this.
  11. Experiencereunited

To be clear I love the actual Songs For Groovy Children set. It was their press release that pushed me over the edge.

Sis+erRay and Doggiedogma like this.
  12. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Despite its flaws, I'll take Songs for Groovy Children over most comps and live releases especially Winterland any day of the week.

vegafleet likes this.
  13. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Thanks.

All of which means I'm not going to pre-order this upcoming set. I'll wait and see if it's worth it. I didn't buy the ELL 50th 'cos it was pilloried 'round here.

Ceabhairbunnáin likes this.
  14. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I just said this elsewhere, but the one thing in their favor regarding things being unreleased is there's not much from this era that they haven't released themselves in one form or another.

Cry of Love-reissued
    Rainbow Bridge-reissued
    War Heroes-all 1970 EL tracks reissued (Peter Gunn was their own edit but it's out)
    Loose Ends-the two 1970 EL Studio tracks were new mixes by John Jansen, EH released Jimi's mixes of those songs
    Crash Landing-the only things remotely from Electric Lady were the Aug 22 mixes of the BoG songs and possibly that one little clip in the front of Captain Coconut, but Jansen created that
    Midnight Lightning-The only thing from EL is the title track, the original version of that has definitely not been released
    Nine to the Universe-Nothing from EL
    Lifelines-Not sure when the Room Full of Mirrors alternate mix was done, so that may qualify as previously released if it's on the set. Drifters Escape turned out to be the Jimi mix, but they called it previously unreleased alternate mix on SSD
    :blues-Nothing from EL
    Voodoo Soup-alternate mixes of previously released songs but any new material (aka New Rising Sun) wasn't from EL

Looks like they're avoiding anything they've already released on either box set or a stand alone album. So in this case, they may be on solid ground saying 38 of these tracks have been unreleased (officially), but we'll have to wait and see exactly what's what.

15. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

Does anybody remember McDermott saying in the Ultimate Hendrix book that there was a run-through of “Hear My Train A Comin’” that was recorded later during Jimi’s sessions at Electric Lady? I have the book but it’s not accessible at the moment due to being stored on a high shelf without my having a ladder. Ha. But I coulda sworn such a thing was said to exist via McDermott. Maybe it’s not releasable? Considering some of the stuff that EH has released I feel like that is hard to believe.

If it is on tape it woulda been nice to hear a studio version with Hendrix, Mitchell and Cox. Seeing as we already have versions with Hendrix, Mitchell and Redding as well as a version with Hendrix, Mitchell and Miles, woulda been nice to have this one.

Hep Alien and All Down The Line like this.
  16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I'm sure there will be something to complain about. There always is in these here parts.
    Nod3erforamonth

17. SoundAdvice

I view ELL50 the same way as you but found a cd copy 2 years later for around USD$35. Outtakes/Surround/large booklet are worth that to me and I'm also complete on Dagger CD(minus the live pre fame one). Used ELL50 prices will jump closer to March as fans interest gets reignited.

misteranderson likes this.
  18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Thanks.
    I know one thing: A few years ago I sat down with my nerdist yellow pad, started listening to every release and I was going to try to make sense of the posthumous releases I have and make my personal “Best Of Posthumous Jimi Hendrix”.

There’s so much of … everything, and hard to sort out, I gave up. :D

What didn’t help was.. I’d listen to some jam track and a few minutes would be “standard Jimi” and as good as that would be, there might be a 30 second bit of otherworldly transcendent brilliance and I didn’t want to be hacking tracks up. :p

All Down The Line and Swansong like this.
  19. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

I’m just happy to get anything Jimi Hendrix recorded on vinyl pressings. I have all the studio bootleg CD box sets, and most of the live stuff as well. But anything Experience Hendrix wants to release is fine with me.

I wish that they weren’t so consistently inconsistent, but it’s their M. O. and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. I will say that since they’ve been using Quality Records Pressings the vinyl pressings are so much better than they were with MCA.

We shall all have to wait until this is released before we actually know what’s included, regardless of what is said on the official track listing.

20. Johnny Formica

Johnny Formica Forum Resident

Looking forward to this one.

905 and Timothy Fiacco like this.
  21. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

The Amazon link has disappeared again...

22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

It seems the do that several times a day.

905 and Mullin like this.
  23. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

I have already got mine on pre-order.... just letting the masses know...

905, Dartman and MikeInFla like this.
  24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I love these two box sets. Not sure I’ll like this new release.

DTK likes this.
  25. Once I am listening to a new release for the first time I completely disregard press releases and judge the music on its merits.To carry a grudge about something as great as Groovy Children because you find fault with a press release seems bizarre.

JeffreyB, dee, 905 and 12 others like this.