Dexter: New Blood (2021) on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yeah, I predicted early on four possible finales:

1) Harrison dies sacrificing himself for Dexter
    2) Dexter dies sacrificing himself for Harrison
    3) they both die
    4) they both escape.

The one that makes the most logical and dramatic sense is #2. I thought #4 was extremely unlikely. The whole show was about death and morality, and it took death and this situation for Dexter to finally love somebody else and make that sacrifice. But I always thought, "nobody gets out of here alive."

Showrunner Clyde Phillips has said if he could have ended the original show the way he wanted to (and he had already departed after season 4), he would have had Dexter wake up in a Florida penitentiary lethal injection chamber, in a room surrounded by all the characters he had killed in the previous 50 episodes. Dexter realizes, "ah, I've just been daydreaming over everything I've done that led up to this moment," and he's ready to die and pay the price for his crimes. So it was always Phillips' intention (going back 10 years) that Dexter was going to die at the end. Even the original novelist's last book was titled Dexter Is Dead, and you can guess the plotline.

mrjinks and bumbletort like this.
  2. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I enjoyed the new season quite a bit. However, I don’t see how it was a good idea for Dexter to hide out within the continental United States, let alone somewhere within any proximity to New York City.

Also, the show does almost too good of a job of making Dexter likable, which makes his death more frustrating. Right until the end I thought that the “break the internet” ending would be Dexter killing Harrison, then going on the run again. The first part of the code was “don’t get caught”, and when Harrison decided Dexter had to turn himself in, I thought that was going to be the end of Harrison. Dexter would choose to not get caught. Then finally we see, or are convinced, that Dexter was always a “monster”, even though we were made to like him.

As it is, I think they needed a couple more episodes to see the conclusion through in a satisfying manner.

Timeline Man likes this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

One thing I thought was odd was that when Harrison yelled, "Look at what you've done," Dexter then imagined the faces of people whose death he either indirectly caused of was directly responsible for, but not sure why they showed Lundy. Lundy was killed by Christine, who shot him because he was getting too close to finding out who Arthur Mitchell was (and that was before Dexter knew who he was and buddied up to him), so Dexter cannot be blamed for the Lundy murder at all.

4. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Well...Dex killed his brother, Brian/Rudy, the Ice Truck Killer. It's fair to say Deb was killed indirectly because of Dexter, and then Harrison eventually has to kill Dexter.

5. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

It's logic?

[​IMG]
    S1, Ep9
    2 Jan. 2022
    The Family Business 9.6 (6,947)

[​IMG]
    S1, Ep10
    9 Jan. 2022
    Sins of the Father 4.4 (16,601)
    Biggest rating drop of all time?

6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It went from 6947 ratings one week to 16,601 the next, obviously comprised of people that never participated in any of the other weeks which kind of invalidates the comparison. Anyways I don’t take people that vote 1s out of petty spite seriously. They’re clearly not being even remotely rational. People that post “worst tv episode ever” probably post that comment every other day.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

4.4 or 4.5 does it matter?

Is it the biggest rating drop of all time?
    I guess so.

8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

No it doesn’t matter.

THESE are the only ratings that matter:

TV Ratings: 'Dexter: New Blood' Becomes Showtime's Most-Watched Series - Variety

8 million viewers averaged across the week and you’re focused upon the less than 10,000 angry trolls that are upset enough to take to imdb to trash it. Just saying.

9. misteranderson

I'm thinking the Weeds finale must have tanked pretty hard. Shameless too. I can't remember much about the latter, even though it was just last year, and all I can remember about all of Weeds' last season was that Nancy got shot, I think. That said, those two series didn't really lend themselves to blockbuster finales anyway.

New Blood's finale is going to be hard to forget, and I think the whole reboot ended up being very good, after the slow burn of the first few episodes.

D-rock and bumbletort like this.
  10. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Just because the last episode was not good, people still watched this episode, because of episodes 1-9.

I'm talking about the last episode.

[​IMG]

unclefred, mrjinks and ex_mixer like this.
  11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I wish that you would post a more coherent argument but I guess that isn’t in the cards. You keep answering my posts with comments that seem divorced from what you quoted from me. They’re not responses, they’re just word salad that say or mean nothing other than you didn’t like it. I guess? If you’re trying to say more it is lost on me.

Rufus McDufus and D-rock like this.
  12. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Did you read the comments to the article
    TV Ratings: 'Dexter: New Blood' Becomes Showtime's Most-Watched Series - Variety

The last one was funny

Brizlled
    January 13, 2022 at 11:23 am
    If you surprise everybody and bring back a trailer with an ambulance showing up saving Dexter after everything went black watch the numbers quadruple on season New blood 2 Dexter is alive

The others sound more like ...

Manny
    January 11, 2022 at 7:14 pm
    And what did Showtime do? Killed off Dexter, who is responsible for those dazzling numbers. Should have been prepared to continue the series, but if not, at least allowed Dexter to disappear again and leaving the possibility of continuation on the table. Bad move Showtime.

mrjinks likes this.
  13. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

This is surprising. (Sort by: Helpfulness)

[​IMG]
    Dexter: New Blood (2021–2022)
    User Reviews
    966 Reviews
    Sort by: Helpfulness
    Filter by Rating:
    1/10
    Ketamine ... are you serious???
    skiorcho 10 January 2022
    Warning: Spoilers
    55 out of 60 found this helpful.

1/10
    What a waste of an opportunity
    lidiabaric 11 January 2022
    I wish they hadn't bothered.

Was it just for the money they were paid?

No redemption from the first finale, they made it worse.

This show was most definitely NOT for the fans.
    32 out of 34 found this helpful.

1/10
    awful finale
    dvdandre 11 January 2022
    If they think i'm going to watch harrison in s.2 they have no idea. Pathetic ending, worse than the original ending in every way.

Will not bother with season two.
    43 out of 47 found this helpful.

mrjinks likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Let it go

Let's discuss the actual details of the show

Isaac K. and bumbletort like this.
  15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Seriously. What part of IMDB IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC POLL do people not get?

Stormrider77 and D-rock like this.
  16. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Good luck

17. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

skiorcho
    10 January 2022
    Hey, the writers, have you even watched what you are writing - Dexter used M99, not Ketamine. Absolute disaster is this final episode. There was no any proofs that Dexter is the butcher ... and what ... killing your own father will heal you? Dexter is way more smarter than that. And he would never kill the coach he would just put him to sleep and take the key. A disaster ...

Yes: Dexter would never kill the coach... he would just put him to sleep and take the key.

18. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Last night the last episode was aired on Dutch TV.
    I enjoyed the New Blood final chapter, a fitting end to a thoroughly enjoyable series.
    Felt a bit apocalyptic too.
    I thought the screenwriting was great, the acting too.
    The young actor who played Harrison, we will definitely see back in another movie.

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Totally agree

20. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

That's how the screenwriters decided to end Dexter's life: he deserved to die.

21. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

:) (My favorite Western)

22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. Season 1, 2 and 4 of the original series are still among the greatest seasons of TV drama ever, IMO, and while New Blood didn't touch the greatness of those seasons, it was enough of an upgrade over the last few of the original series to where it was worth it, not to mention getting a satisfying ending this time around.

Rufus McDufus, D-rock and Phil12 like this.
  23. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Question is: has Dexter run its course?
    After a pretty slow start in the first two episodes, the last couple of episodes felt like
    the story was speeding op towards an ending that was to be inevitable and definitive.
    Several characters did not get the attention they could (should?) have been given.

24. misteranderson

Why would Dex have to stick with M99? Maybe ketamine was an easy substitute, available from someone just down the road. Dex was not the blood spatter analyst for Miami Metro anymore.

25. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Or do Showtime regret ending Dexter New Blood after one season?