What is the sound of one speaker blasting?!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by guestuser, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guestuser

guestuser Chillin Thread Starter

I ordered some new speakers a few weeks ago and UPS decided they needed to be delivered on different days! One showed up today and the other is expected on Monday, which is a holiday here in the states so it’ll probably be Tuesday. Sigh… guess I might try some mono recordings and a mono speaker positioning project this weekend while I’m waiting.

2. I like the profile picture! Just got my second Scaled and Icy vinyl today!

guestuser likes this.
  3. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I feel your pain.
    Remember good Mono can still take you where you have an out of body experience.
    Shazaam!

guestuser likes this.
  4. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

5. guestuser

When you’re running one speaker with a 2 channel amp, is there any benefit in turning the balance control knob towards the channel being used?

6. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

If it is solid state it shouldn't really cause a problem either way but I would do it just to avoid sending much power to those terminals. With tube amps not having the speaker connected could be an issue, I would be patient instead.

guestuser likes this.
  7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

The only way I'd try this is if you have a separate solid state pre and amp. In that case you can disconnect the the IC from the channel you aren't using. Then the amp will have nothing to amplify.

If any of it is tubes that would be a hard no.

If you use an integrated i wouldn't try running one speaker because you can't mute the one channel before it gets to the amp.

Be patient. UPS delivers on MLK Day. Even if they didn't, a year from now will it be that big a deal if the 2nd speaker arrived on Tuesday?

cleandan and guestuser like this.
  8. guestuser

Thanks for the recommendations all. My integrated amp, PM8006, is IC but I’ll patiently refrain from firing up the new speaker until the other one shows up on Monday. Will post some pics and listening impressions when that happens. Gonna go fill out the warranty card in calligraphy while I wait. :p

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  9. I know the wait can be taxing...especially when you are excited to get the new stuff.
    Years ago I ordered a custom target rifle. The initial arrival time was a few months.
    The rifle arrived and something was wrong...sent back after 5 shots fired.
    In the end the custom shop had my rifle for over a year...a year, getting a few things fixed.

Waiting until Tuesday, or even for the next week, is not a big deal other than the excitement building in your mind.

One thing to consider is the winter temps, shipping, and potential condensation inside the speaker cabinet for a while.
    When the speakers arrive at your house they will be at ambient outside temp and humidity.....Cold and wet in your part of the country.

I strongly suggest you unbox the speakers and let them air out and stabilize temp and humidity wise to the inside of your house.
    They WILL have condensation inside and outside as they come up to temp so a bit of a wait (at least 24 hours) is in order even after they finally get to your house.
    If they have open ports you could run a fan to help circulate house air inside the cabinet better to speed up the process.
    I would guess everything will be up to temp within three hours, but the condensation will take longer to evaporate on its own.

guestuser likes this.
  10. guestuser

Fanatic points on condensation and temp from transit, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.