The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

No worries. There’s some fascinating insights.

Yeah, I noticed he labelled it Jack-A-Rogue! It’s interesting, because if you didn’t know, you could easily think that was the correct name.
    Jack Monroe (song) - Wikipedia

Same with Fennario, which goes by many other names. I wouldn’t think you were an idiot for labelling it that. It was named Fennario as a Bonus Track on Run For The Roses. Though I do prefer the title, Peggy-O.
    The Bonnie Lass o' Fyvie - Wikipedia

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I suppose I hold myself to a higher standard. :nyah:

Actually, I didn't realize (I can spell that with a z and you won't get confused, right :evil:) that Fennario is an alternate name. Talk about me being prescient of the past. Of course, Dylan recorded a version for his his first LP that was titled "Pretty Peggy-O." I loves me some Dylan but that version is rather annoying, frankly. And Dylan also recorded a version of Jack-A-Roe on World Gone Wrong that I haven't listened to in nearly 30 years, but that's about to change. "Stack A Lee" is on there also and you wouldn't know it has anything to do w/ Stagger Lee from "our boys."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

“Samson & Delilah” might or might not be the original title as well.

US Blues, trd, SJR and 1 other person like this.
  4. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Thanks for that info, definitely going to look into those resources. Maybe one of these days I'll find myself overseas again - who knows when that might be though!

US Blues, Paperback Writer and SJR like this.
  5. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

5/28/77 was on that Road Trips?

US Blues, Paperback Writer and SJR like this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

5/26/73 perhaps

mgb70, US Blues, trd and 2 others like this.
  7. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I knew that Dylan Peggy-O long before I ever heard the Dead do it, and could never wrap my head around how their version would sound because I was assuming a similar tempo and melody. Silly, silly me.

8. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Not sure you can be a Deadhead if you haven't had the "What the hell is a fennario?" conversation at least once. :D

9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha! Thought that might stir up some controversy. Hartford, 28/05/77 is definitely up there.

10. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

ARK, uzn007, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Then I just read Fennario is a fictional town.

I once told my friend it was a stand of fens. He said, wait for it, "What the hell is a fennario?" We were at Peach Fest in PA. We were standing in front of a green area, although not a wetland, and I pointed to it and said "That! That's the fennario." It's just one of those Dead words that you like but don't quite get. I'm sure there are others.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  12. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

I think that exact conversation happens after Peggy-O in a version of I believe 6/29/76 that I've heard. Can't remember exactly, but you hear a guy start to go, "Fennario. It's a...."

13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Like Quadlibet? (Probably a take on quodlibet.)

14. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

I listened to Dick's Picks, Volume 19 (10/19/73, Oklahoma City) tonight. Those of you who have talked this show up here and over on the archival releases thread weren't kidding around. I'm still fairly early on, so I suppose it doesn't mean so much (I tried to tally it up and I think this is only around the 40th show or live release I have heard) but this has to have been one of the two or three most consistently enjoyable shows I have heard so far. Or maybe I am in a good mood and I am overblowing it, but it just seemed like a real solid 1st set, capped off with a nice but relatively concise (18 minute) PITB... followed by killer 2nd set that includes China/Rider, a beautiful Half-Step and the Dark Star/MLB Jam into Dew. And if I am remembering right, EOTW is the start of a 3 song encore... how often did they do that?

Couple more random bits...
    I really don't ever get tired of Don't Ease Me In.
    This one sounded really good. Is the way the vocals sound just a little weird...is that the "vocal sibilance" that I keep hearing so much about? It was noticeable but not really distracting or disturbing on this one.

15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

You’re not over blowing it. That is one killer Pick (I’m sure @Day_Tripper2019 would agree ;)), with a particularly majestic 2nd set. Though, as incomprehensible as it may sound, they get even better over the coming weeks.

I’m not too sure there’s many more shows with a 3-song encore. Winterland, NYE ‘78 is one that springs to mind.

16. lol, back in the day, I got a bootleg cassette of a Dead Concert that featured - (according to the typewritten print):

“Scarlet Beginnings “ and “Playing In the Bank”. ;)

ARK, Crispy Rob, KCWhistle and 6 others like this.
  17. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

1973 was such an amazing peak year for the Dead, you’d be hard pressed to find one show that year you wouldn’t of had your mind blown in. Just sayin

Zafu

18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:laugh:

19. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Without looking it up, pretty sure there are a couple of late 80's NYE shows with 3-song encores.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and SJR like this.
  20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'm sure I'll find that this has been addressed...and I don't disagree with you...but that looks a lot like our national football team's jersey...not our national Aussie Rules team's jersey...if there is even a national Aussie Rules team. There is sometimes a "best of" team picked to play against Ireland in a hybrid Aussie Rules/Gaelic Football match. Then there's the All Australian Aussie Rules team which is only a team on paper...

:agree:

It's very understandable that some of the stuff is hit and miss - not just because they were getting back into the swing of things but also because, as you say, they weren't even relying on the format they had used before beyond first set/fewer jams, second set/more jams. They keep trying to come up with combinations. Some are spectacular. Some are a bit lame. Some are good but not great. It may be their experience in '76 that, in part, informed the setlist rigidity that came later. For all the fans' desire at the time for them to change it up, perhaps Jerry (since I understand he was especially against changing things up too much in later years) didn't see the point in deliberately messing with their approach when he knew they'd done it once before and it took them some time to iron out the creases.

True but they have nearly exhausted their supplies from the late October/early November '77 tour.

Proper straight drive that. Good follow through. Good footwork. Head up.

As I once heard in a cricket documentary, if you hit the ball on the ground, you can't get out. Incidentally today I had lunch looking at Bradman Oval in Bowral.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Of course. It just found it remarkable because before now I'd never questioned the inclusion of a show in a boxset after hearing it - even the lesser shows. I think the May '77 box is a good example of a mixed box. All the playing is at a high level but I think that 12 and 17 May are the best two shows in the box and that I could live without the others. However not one of the shows in there seems unworthy of being there because they all tell a story and all are good at the very least. What surprised me with June '76 was that there were those two long stretches - most of 11 June '76 and the second set of 15 June after Saint Stephen - where I thought, "No, this wasn't worth releasing." Not because they weren't great, but because I thought they weren't good enough. It surprised me.

All that said, I'm not unhappy about them being released. It was simply a new experience for me in a Dead box set.

22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Jerry used to call it Fennario

23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

24. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Finally getting back into the St. Louis box set. Jumping in to what seems like arguably the best show of the whole set (correct me if I'm wrong :p)

1972/10/18 St. Louis, MO (Listen To The River: St. Louis '71 '72 '73)
    [​IMG]

25. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Just listened to that one for the first time the other day. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to revisit. Dark Star on that one is exquisite.
    I definitely need to explore more '73 and '74, but I keep getting "stuck" on '71 and especially '72. Too much to listen to.