Senses Working Overtime: XTC and Dukes of Stratosphear Song-by-song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It may not be a masterpiece for the ages, but I've always thought that "Traffic Light Rock" was a fun little song, a zesty throwaway. I don't blame them for leaving it off the album, although it's no less consequential than "Do What You Do". It's interesting to read about their obsession with starting some kind of retro dance craze back in the old days.

3/5

2. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Traffic Light Rock. It's pleasant enough but for me very unexceptional, like it was a write-a-new-wave-song school assignment that Andy fulfilled with a perfunctory entry that nevertheless ticks all the boxes that the teacher outlined. It works though.

3. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Traffic Light Rock:

Another good track, which would have been good enough, but not essential, for the album imo.

4. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Traffic -- another inconsequential b-side. 2/5

5. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Big, dumb fun, but waaaay too much emphasis on the dumb. That said, I can absolutely see myself enjoying this quite a lot more than my rating reflects if I happen to be in the exact right mood for it.

2.5/5

6. hvgrace

hvgrace Senior Member

"Traffic Light Rock" is Dolls-by-numbers fun. I didn't remember this one at all. 2/5

7. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Traffic Light Rock - 2.5/5 - Fun while it's on, but I can never remember it after.

8. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"Traffic Light Rock" - another fun piece of fluff from Andy. 3/5.

I don't have the Guillotine compilation, but I did find this on a Various Artists 7" EP from Virgin. I can't be arsed to dig out my singles, but if I recall correctly it looks like it was a free promo (it has a blue label). ETA: Discogs tells me this was "Presented Free by Record Mirror".

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  9. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Traffic Light Rock

I feel like this track is almost there, but not quite. The music is great. It’s peppy and catchy, but unfortunately the vocals grate.

2.75/5

10. redmedicine

redmedicine Pop Punk Psych Prog

It's more concise and coherent than most of White Music, but ultimately it's them aping a style that really isn't theirs. 2/5

11. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Traffic Light Rock: I can see why this one was an outtake. 2/5

12. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

Traffic Light Rock:
    Definitely a retro feel throwback. 50’s-early 60’s nostalgia filtered through late 70’s Swindon. Crocodile Rock, Rocky Horror, there was a fair amount of this earlier in the decade. It’s a harmless little bauble, and charming. 3/5

13. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

What intv7 says saves me a few extra keystrokes. He nails it. Interestingly I had never heard "Traffic Light Rock". I'm not very familiar with New York Dolls other than what I
    heard back when on MTV. I did take a look at discogs. The record inner has amusing hype: "The pride of Swindon now worshiped nationwide, this combo is in the
    process of changing the shape of the universe
    ." -alrighty then. Played it a few times. Piano and guitar stand out on a nice rocker. Before you know it it's over. 2/5

Guess I could repeat this part: It's not what I'm coming to xtc for.

14. Will Harris

This one's worth repeating, as well. The Ramones were good at this "play it fast" rock but I am sure glad xtc got on a different track.

15. Will Harris

Singles - where did it all go wrong? Personally, I used to sit right in front of my turntable, so it wasn't a hassle to turn them over.
    Now I want a comfortable chair in the middle of the sweet spot on the other side of the room. Don't want to keep getting up after
    every song. Same with Cd singles. I own a lot of them that don't get played very often. When I had a carousel 5-disc changer it
    was easier but my Oppo is one disc at a time.

chrism1971 and Bob C like this.
  16. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

New York Dolls on MTV? Where was I?

17. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"Traffic Light Rock": Before I read Lance's info or any of your comments, my main takeaway from the song was "wow, this sounds a lot like the Dolls—only with the wrong attitude." Weak Dolls and weak XTC.

1.5/5

18. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

The highly influential but commercially ignored XTC do a send up of the highly influential but commercially ignored New York Dolls. I dig it! 4/5

19. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "Traffic Light Rock"

1-0
    2-7
    3-10
    4-2
    4-0
    Average: 2.5605

20. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Instant Tunes", written by Andy Partridge and produced by John Leckie.

XTC – Instant Tunes Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Line Up:
    Andy Partridge: vocals, guitars
    Barry Andrews: organ
    Colin Moulding: vocals, bass
    Terry Chambers: drums

Recording during the White Music sessions, this was released as a B-side to the late 1978 single Are You Receiving Me.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  21. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I get a Madness vibe from the verses! Unfortunately, the chorus is pretty forgettable. 2.5/5

22. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Instant Tunes"

* Written by Colin Moulding *

This is my favourite Colin B-side. I think it's his equivalent to "New Town Animal" - the undiscovered early gem. Like that one it's simple, direct and has a fantastic hook. I also love the descending guitar figure during the chorus - the role of the keyboards seems somewhat diminished in this one. Perhaps by the time it was released they had remixed it to reflect that Barry was on the outs? It's always felt to me more like a "coming out of Go2" track than a White Music track. 4/5.

23. Lance LaSalle

I stand corrected; thank you! It is Andy singing lead, though, isn't it? Sounds like it.

pocketcalculator and brownie61 like this.
  24. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

It's Colin doing his best Andy impersonation - I can hear his distinctive burr in several places. Thankfully they diverge vocally after the next album!

25. Lance LaSalle

It's OK; another solid hook by Colin; another song that could have replace anything on the album and not affected it at all. Better than Watchtower and X Wires.

2.9/5