Type O Negative - None More Negative Box reissued by ROG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Krzych, Jun 21, 2019.

1. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Nice!

I got the orange voodoo pressing or whatever it was called and it’s absolutely perfect. This is a record I’ve wanted on vinyl for over 20 years and it’s magnificent to finally have it and have it done well.

Incidentally, I ordered direct from Run Out Groove and they packed it damn well.

Neonbeam likes this.
  2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I found this double 45 at the local shop yesterday. Great stuff!

c-eling and TongueDruid like this.
  3. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

So damn great... I'm hoping Avantgarde release more of the classic Lycia catalogue now. I'd be absolutely ecstatic to grab Stark Corner, Burning Circle, and/or Tripping Back on wax. Hell, gimme the Live album too while we're at it!!

Fruff76 likes this.
  4. serch_777

serch_777 Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to pick up Slow, Deep and Hard (latest reissue), but I already have the None More Negative boxset. Is there any difference on the latest reissue's master compared to the version in the box? Artwork seems to be identical (apart from the band and album's title on the cover).

5. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

I own the boxset and also got the orange voodoo pressing and both sound the same. Both are nice collectible pieces.

serch_777 likes this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

7. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

What an unusual box. Double copies of Bloody Kisses, no Origin of the Feces or Life is Killing Me.

TON on instagram did confirm yesterday that reissues of those two are coming in the next year or two as well as Dead Again…

8. TongueDruid

Thnx! I'll definitely get the book. I guess that's good it isn't released until June, prob be a pleasant surprise by that point :laugh:
    My wife is halfway thru Soul On Fire right now. Finally decided to read it and she loves it. I'll prob dive back into it m'self once she's done... (Fv¢× you) God it's been almost a decade since, already!

serch_777 and Neonbeam like this.
  9. serch_777

serch_777 Well-Known Member

I love the new box's leather box, but I think it's too pricey at 250 without Origin of Feces or Life is Killing Me. I do like the fact that the band's logo and album title are printed on the covers, which is something I wish the None More Negative boxset would have included.

TongueDruid likes this.
  10. TongueDruid

Totally agree that including the logo/album titles again is nice, and the leather box is definitely a cool touch, but yeah having 4 albums for $255 is absolutely a ripoff. Does it come w 2 copies of bloody kisses?!...
    So you're basically paying almost $70 each to be able to spin only 4 of their albums. Nice try Revolver

serch_777 likes this.
  11. TongueDruid

Did a Type O shootout this afternoon. From the big ROG box set - I ripped "Unsuccessfully Coping" from SD&H, "Christian Woman" from BK, and "Love You To Death" from OR. I sold off some of my older pressings to get the box a few years ago, but I did still keep the German Cargo vinyl of October Rust (cuz I had Johnny sign it when I met him years ago) and I also kept ROG's triple-LP RSD release of Bloody Kisses to have that 3rd disc (can't live without Suspended In Dusk!) So I ripped the songs from those pressings too. I also included those tracks from the original CDs to see how everything stacked up.
    It was pretty unanimous, the ROG box pressings definitely (surprisingly!) beat out the old Cargo OR, and even the triple-LP cut of BK! Both of the latter had a shelf lowering down the top end too much for my liking, losing a decent amount of detail and openness in the process. The reverbs/delays, air in the synths, and cymbals all became very recessed, and even Petuh's voice ended up being a bit too blanketed since the shelf extended too far down into the high-mids. The Cargo OR actually also had a wide bump up at about 350Hz, by almost 3dB, compared to everything else, which made it sound thicker/more growly, but also more cloudy, especially teamed with its subdued top. The ROG box pressings all sounded almost exactly like the CDs but did also have a high-shelf lowering the top end, but very tastefully so. Maybe only about 1 to 1.5 dB, and likely only from about 5kHz and upward, since the cymbals were some of the only things obviously affected. The ROG pressings still sounded great and Petuh's voice remained natural & rich (except on SD&H the shelf did extend down into Pete's voice a touch, but still not enough for complaint - The album sounded less thin, thankfully, as the old CD always had to me.) The CDs all had much more strident, crispy, louder cymbals than on the ROG box, which never really bothered me at all growing up, but they do sound a bit too much, even distracting, when directly A/Bed versus the box's cuts.
    Anywho, very glad that the box totally proved to be worth its weight in green! I didn't have time to seriously listen in detail for any compression differences, but there were none that were obvious at all right outta the gate.
    Another side note: I included the '94 digipak in the shootout too, and it was indeed identical to the original CD. Always wondered if they'd messed with the mastering on that one when they re-released it in that iteration. Nope!

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wow, cool thank you! So this is one of those releases that delegates the - pricey - originals to "collectors only" status? That's good to know.

kannibal and TongueDruid like this.
  13. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Interesting that you found the 2LP and 3LP of Bloody Kisses to have different mastering. I always assumed it was a straight reissue of the Bloody Kisses from the first NMN box but with a bonus LP added on…

TongueDruid likes this.
  14. TongueDruid

Unfortunately I don't have the original vinyl pressings to compare atm but I did have the original Euro SD&H and BK pressings and sold them when this box came out. I remember SD&H being very "thin" sounding like the CD, and BK sounded great/correct but I'd assumed it was just the CD master pressed onto wax. Although I could be wrong since i didnt have the capacity for doing shootouts correctly back then. BUT at any rate the '19 NMN box certainly proved a "justifiable EXISTENCE!"

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    Neonbeam likes this.
  15. TongueDruid

Yeah I noticed the differing matrices on the BK pressings right before I ripped 'em and got a lil' excited. Both were cut by Chris Muth. A year apart from eachother but he clearly treated them a bit differently. The original Roadrunner NMN box from '11 has different stampers so that one likely sounds a bit different as well! No clue who cut that one though as I don't have it & there's no credit info on discogs.

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

Ty! I have not opened my box since I first purchased. Had a big move and just couldn't bring myself to opening it, lol. Ended up buying all the subsequently released titles as they were reissued. I also have been spinning that BK RSD as well and have liked it very much. But this is great and most likely will finally open this bad boy up!

TongueDruid and Neonbeam like this.
  17. TongueDruid

Niiice open that bad Larry up! Should be a lil upgrade to any pressings previous to 2019, unless the original Euro 90's pressings of Origin/BK/OR are somehow markedly better. I did see that the post-2019 represses (like Oct Rust & WCD - also by ROG) indeed used the same stampers from the '19 box, so those will sound the same.

VinylMario likes this.
  18. TongueDruid

19. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

TongueDruid likes this.
  20. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

Do we have any info on the original 1993 BK vinyl, compared to later vinyl issues?

IIRC, BK was all analog, and the cd's DDD marking is a joke. Be interesting to find what was pressed in the wax in 1993

TongueDruid likes this.
  21. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

Photos of Peter's Butthole are now for sale at ROG.

cmarti likes this.
  22. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

Does his butthole looks better in this new reissue than it looks on my No More Black boxset?

TongueDruid likes this.
  23. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

I refuse to answer, lol.

c-eling and cmarti like this.
  24. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

I think the addition of a scratch n sniff sticker should put this over any previous releases!

TongueDruid and cmarti like this.
  25. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident