Zappa 71 Complete Fillmore Shows Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 13, 2022.

1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Surprised the Tears a-side is included, as I was led to believe (via the Ben Watson book) that it was identical to the album version. Was I led to believe wrong?

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So, the question is no longer "Do you like my new car", so much as...just how much do you like it...

3. vivalapsych

vivalapsych Forum Resident

And without the digital bass drum. If I recall correctly

Galeans likes this.
  4. SirQ

SirQ Forum Resident

The Tears single includes FZ's "The name of this song is Tears Began To Fall!" preamble during Aynsley's opening drum roll, removed from the LP version with a smooth edit containing a noticeable timbre jump in the form of his guitar feedback cutting out halfway through (at least once you notice it, you'll never un-notice it).

Weird to include such a preamble on a single over the LP, instead of the other way around, though this is FZ; Most of his singles were eclectic, uniquely edited versions picked with almost a foresight of how little a chance there was for any of them to get radio airplay if credited as The Mothers or FZ.

All except the Deseri/Jelly Roll single, that one was actually credited to Ruben & The Jets, with intact FZ produced credits. Reuben And The Jets – Deseri (1968, Vinyl)

And coincidentally a 1972 re-issue of Tears Began To Fall was credited to Junier Mintz produced by Billy Dexter, an FZ pseudonym. Junier Mintz – Tears Began To Fall (1972, Vinyl)

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Iirc that only applies the Chester Thompsons bass drum from Stage Vol. 2

Elmer McMuffin likes this.
  6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

You sure the Junier Mintz one didn't come out first? It has an earlier catalog # and a white label promo edition.

7. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

This is AWESOME. My roommates and I wore the grooves off this back in college, and I’ve been waiting to hear more all these years. There’s such a great groove and ambience on this record, partly the lovely Fillmore acoustics (sounding just a bit muddy here), and partly the band which is really hitting a stride after months on the road. Mark and Howard are glorious throughout, and Frank has a pretty nasty (great) guitar tone. A hell of a great rock record.

Anthrax, ODShowtime and Philip Gruber like this.
  8. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

This Jewish Pachuco Bar Mitzvah version from Dec 70 Paris has been popping up on my YouTube feed, quite a playful nature.

MrBitey likes this.
  9. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Appreciate the empathy. I don't scoot after Communion, but I'll gladly savor the meatballs & ravioli when I get home....

10. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Excited for this one too! What a time to be a Zappa fan!
    Bit disappointed it doesn't include a whole Sofa/Divan suite - hopefully there will be a future release with that.
    Perhaps a Record Store Day Special Edition 10" - I'd buy that! Come on Vaultmeister/Ahmet!!

Anyway, just pre-ordered from Resident Records in Brighton for £52.99. That's not a bad price if you ask me!

11. Bear

Bear Forum Resident

Can’t wait for this one! Fillmore East 1971 is my favorite Zappa album. I think Flo and Eddie bring out something special in Frank, and the band during this period was pure fire. I remember how excited I was when the Carnegie Hall concert was released, hard to believe it’s been ten years already!

12. marcal957

marcal957 Well-Known Member

I haven't browsed the forum for a couple of days, and first thing I find this morning is this new thread! Like many of you I'm thrilled about the news, even if I will be really excited only when a Wazoo/Jawaka box set will be announced (hope within this year). I immediately checked on Amazon (European sites as I'm based in Europe) and found out that amazon.de has the vinyls listed but not the cd box set, while amazon.fr has all three items available for pre-order. I pre-ordered here my copy of the cd set for the incredible price of 49.99 Euros (plus a small VAT adjustment and 4.99 shipping to Italy), doubting that it will turn up at a lower price on other sites.
    Also jpc.de has all the items listed (vinyls at 39.99 Euros, cd set at 86.99).

spiegelbeeld, UMO and marc with a c like this.
  13. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

As the Flo & Eddie era is my least favorite, I'd be fine if this is the last word on it. But it does look exciting! I always liked the music on the Fillmore East set, but it isn't something I return to often because of Flo & Eddie. I will be getting this one because the music/band was so good.

BoogieFish and kanakaris like this.
  14. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I used to feel this way but the last Mothers box really redeemed Flo & Eddie for me. That was a great set and I've returned to it a lot more than I expected to

izgoblin, jay.dee, Blue Note and 4 others like this.
  15. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I wish the Zappa Family Trust would package/price everything like this - clamshell box, decent booklet of notes etc, nice price point. 8 discs at £49? Pleasing! I'm not a big Flo & Eddie era fan but I wish they'd done Hot Rats like this and if they head into the next line-up (i.e. with George Duke and Ruth Underwood etc) with sets like this, I'll be in like a shot.

16. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

17. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

I'm not seeing it on Amazon UK yet

18. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

19. UMO

UMO Forum Resident

Thank you very much! I ordered too.

20. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Every new Zappa box is an autobuy for me, and I'm very excited to see the 50th anniversary of 73-74, whatever it will bring.:righton:
    Talking about packages, the recent Zappa boxes really make an awful mess visually. Hot Rats and 200 Motels are of one size, Mothers 1970 and 1971 are of another, ZINY and Orchestral are each on their own and then we have those horrible empty Halloween costume boxes... My inner OCD gets so confused...

Just look at the complete series of King Crimson boxes, they look so cool on the shelf!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    BoogieFish, jay.dee, ParloFax and 4 others like this.
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Once again...."UGLINESS!" rears its ugly head......

alakulju likes this.
  22. Christian Evans

Christian Evans Forum Resident

Nice. But 2022 also needs a 50th year anniversary of Waka Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo. Please Ahmet Please.

Uncle_Meat, fishyboots, gd0 and 4 others like this.
  23. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

24. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

I was 14, but my story is the same. So, despite the fact that my preferences in FZ's music have evolved somewhat, I will undoubtedly get this one.

25. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

surfling and Elmer McMuffin like this.