Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

I’ve been curious about that version for a while, it seems like this would’ve been the perfect place to release it too…

2. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Almost as much as the music itself, I'm really looking forward to the inevitable deluge of post-release carping, in-fighting, one-upmanship and OCD pettiness re: inaccuracies, sub-optimal choices of mixes or versions, and accusations of dishonesty when it's discovered that only 37.25 of the 39 tracks are genuinely previously unreleased. Then I'll just go back to listening to the thing, shake my head, and cackle maniacally at the madness of it all.

Regardless of the quality of the content, this release alone promises to fuel a thousand grudges for decades to come.

JeffreyB, No Blue Skies, dee and 10 others like this.
  3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Indeed, how awful of the customer to demand a bit of honesty and accuracy for a product they are buying.

Not least the demand that Jimi Hendrix's legacy be carefully and considered in its presentation. It seems the focus is simply making a living off of the back of the man anyway they can.

The fact that the selling, marketing of the product is more often inaccurate says much about those putting Hendrix releases together be the aim the manic fan or the casual listener.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Quite right ;).
    I'm really looking forward to it and I'm sure whatever aspects it is lacking in I will enjoy these discs for years and years.

dee, SG47, jhm and 6 others like this.
  5. Gordon Johnson

Was wondering if we will be getting any photos from the opening night of the studio.
    I suppose that will depend if they own any, from past experience, they are loath to pay for using shots.

All Down The Line, kees1954 and DTK like this.
  6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

And the crackle on Freedom, I think it was still streaming on Amazon at one point a few years back. It’s fixed now

jhm and All Down The Line like this.
  7. Gordon Johnson

This is such a great post I thought I'd return to it. Hope you don't mind!

Anyone putting their money into this can say what they like regard the release, as they find it.

"OCD pettiness re inaccuracies". Sure, I'm happy for anyone to be led down the garden path and be fuelled with inaccurate information which they can post endlessly on forums such as this.

As for "dishonesty", well I've yet to personally meet anyone who was happy to buy any item only to find out it wasn't quite what they were expecting and even more so not to comment on the fact.

Experience Hendrix have a duty to ensure they deliver what they claim as they have a duty to ensure they represent Jimi Hendrix in the best way as is possible.

Just saying of course. As with most here, looking forward to at the very least a solid selection set of audio though given how much I dislike how they presented Hendrix's idea of 1st Rays and it appears this is what is making up part of this upcoming set I personally may well be disappointed. As for the "critically acclaimed" video, well I'm expecting nothing more than a rehash of previously released material given a freshen up. Best not to get my expectation up, see I learnt my lessons a long while back being a regular customer of Experience Hendrix.

All Down The Line and Deek57 like this.
  8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

None of what you said is a pain. It only take minutes to do. It’s rather simple.

Paying a bootlegger? That’s a waste of money

phillyal1, jhm and DTK like this.
  9. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Fair enough. Lets just say different mixes than I had. New or vintage I like them better than Stages.

10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Personally, I don't get too hung up on absolute historical accuracy when it comes to hypothetical postumous projects like this. The fact is that Jimi's vision for First Rays--or whatever releases he might have made at that stage of his career--remains unrealized. As we were speculating in another thread, it's just as likely that he would have been forced to put out a single album in 1970 to appease the record company, saving a more expansive double album for later. We have no way of knowing exactly how the project(s) might have developed had he lived. As far as I'm concerned, the 1997 release of FROTNRS was a satisfactory compilation of material from the latter part of his career that was marred by poor mastering and crummy artwork. The addition of the new songs along with (hopefully) better mastering could make for a great listen, imo, particularly if they do a good job on the 5.1 mixes. For now, I will be cautiously optimistic. If they do include all of the original Hendrix mixes on discs 1-3, then fans will be able to roll their own historically accurate approximations.

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I thankfully never had either of those releases!

12. All Down The Line

I would wager that Mcdermott's favourite adjective to describe musical takes is "Spirited!"
    It is respectful whilst also being non descriptive and actually ultimately vague given his over use.

gpalz, SG47, jhm and 2 others like this.
  13. All Down The Line

And here i am thinking you like Janie.

14. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I just read in John M’s book Ultimate Hendrix about the June 24, 1970 almost 26 minute jam that began with Astro Man - and thanks for mentioning that earlier in the thread. Holy Cow! That will be repeat during the last week of March around here for sure. Reading about it reminds me of the 20+ minute Villanova Junction jam that surfaced earlier this century. What a blast. Can’t wait to hear this one. If that is the kind of stuff that will be on this new set, bring it on!

kees1954, David67 and DTK like this.
  15. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I’m glad this thread alerted me to this pre-release information. I don’t care as much about trivia as some but I do care that the previously unreleased tracks are worth hearing and that the surround mixes are well done. These are the strongest tracks of all his studio recordings IMO. The Electric Ladyland box had great potential but it was overall disappointing.

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  16. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

17. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of the mix of Stages or L.A. Forum (from Lifelines) either. They are seriously lacking bottom-end, and the weird decision to place guitar in the center, and bass and drums on the sides, makes everything sound a bit untogether and unfocused. Same goes for the Berkeley live version of Hear My Train a Comin' on Blues. The drums were recorded in stereo, so why would anybody want to put it on just one channel only?

I don't know why Douglas and Mark Linett decided to start mixing everything that way, as Jimi Plays Monterey, Johnny B. Goode mini-LP and Live at Winterland sounded pretty good.

Purple Jim and kees1954 like this.
  18. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Wish it would reappear and stay available to be able to order on Amazon. I want this set.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

McD's writing is very vanilla and repetitive.

Peter F and All Down The Line like this.
  20. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

It's a "catch me if you can" game. The link works several times a day but only for a short while. Then it disappears again. The last time I saw it, it did work but it said "out of stock" and did not have a price. For those that pre-ordered the CD's, at what price are they listing?

21. He's writing more for board members (directors of Experience Hendrix Llc, not SHF members!), not the fans. Its sterile, facile and about as far from the universe of Jimi's mind, vision and worldview as todays money can get.

Peter F, All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

I don't know the lady or have ever had dealing with her to make a call either way and if I did have a call to make I doubt it would be in the public domain :)

Any criticism I make is directed at either the board [it is a limited company btw] or toward those who make claim and thus earn from producers rights etc. That goes with the territory, you can't just take the plaudits and no brick bats! The secret is for them to not take adverse reviews personally but to take the positives and move on. Yes, they do struggle with that as a limited company!

Headfone and All Down The Line like this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

$49.98.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Here is a relatively comprehensive list of songs that Hendrix recorded in 1970 that have been released over the years, many songs that he was prioritizing. If one looks at the released Hendrix mixes, it can be inferred that those titles were very much of interest to him, and under consideration for a 1970 album release.

Clearly the '97 First Rays compilation includes a number of the titles that Hendrix was working on prior to his death, but it should be noted that the '97 collection contains many posthumous mixes (many which are arguably inferior to the Hendrix mixes), which clearly do not reflect a historically accurate view of where Hendrix's final work was at the time of his death. Additionally, the omission of Come Down Hard On Me and Drifter's Escape, two clear contenders for Hendrix's 1970 studio album, and the inclusion of a 1968 outtake of My Friend, does not help the legitimacy of the '97 track listing (granted, Hendrix allegedly asked Kramer to pull My Friend and Highway Chile from the tape library for review). Further, it is clear that Hendrix was considering Cherokee Mist as another serious contender. Valleys of Neptune is another title Hendrix was working on, albeit not in the same focused manner as the other recordings from the era -- no surviving recordings present a close to fully-realized version, hence the EH disjointed Frankenstein version released on the VoN release.

The legitimacy of the alleged incomplete Hendrix track-listings has been debated over the years, but if they are true, it provides another glimpse into what he was thinking with respect to release this material. That said, the priority of issuing posthumous mixes of the material in question doesn't help the validity of the '97 collection. The bottom line is that EH should not have definitively named this compilation First Rays of The New Rising Sun and essentially marketed it as Hendrix's final album -- it is a great title, but it is unclear if that would have been Hendrix's final choice, and the EH track listing does not accurately reflect the direction of his final session work. Again, the '97 collection was essentially a mop-up of Cry of Love, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes, a way to get those previously released 1970 era recordings back in print, not a serious attempt to present where Hendrix's final album was headed.

Outtakes (with Posthumous mixes):
    Burning Desire [1/16/70, Record Plant NYC] (WCSB)
    Astro Man [alternate take, 1/21/70, Record Plant NYC] (Purple Box)
    All God’s Children [6/16/70, Electric Lady Studios] (WCSB)
    Cherokee Mist [6/24/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Purple Box)
    Bolero/Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) [7/1/70, Electric Lady Studios] (WCSB)
    Lover Man [7/20/70, Electric Lady Studios] (purple box) (Purple Box)
    Slow Blues [incomplete jam, 8/20/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Purple Box)

Hendrix Mixes:
    Stepping Stone [single, 4/8/70] (original 1970 single release)
    Izabella [b-side, 4/8/70] (original 1970 single release)
    Ezy Ryder [alternate mix, 6/15/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Purple Box)
    In From The Storm [alternate mix, 8/20/70, Electric Lady Studios] (WCSB)
    Room Full of Mirrors [8/20/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Rainbow Bridge)
    Dolly Dagger [8/20/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Rainbow Bridge)
    Straight Ahead [8/20/70, Electric Lady Studios – Eddie Kramer only] (Cry of Love)
    Come Down Hard On Me [8/22/70, Electric Lady] (Purple Box)
    Astro Man [8/22/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Cry of Love)
    Drifter’s Escape [8/22/70, Electric Lady Studios] (South Saturn Delta)
    Earth Blues [alternate mix 8/22/70] (Purple Box)
    Power of Soul [8/22/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Both Sides)
    Message To Love [alternate mix, 8/22/70] (WCSB)
    Night Bird Flying [alternate mix, 8/22/70] (Purple Box)
    Ezy Ryder [8/22/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Cry of Love)
    Belly Button Window [8/24/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Cry of Love)
    Freedom [8/24/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Cry of Love)
    Night Bird Flying [8/24/70, Electric Lady Studios] (Cry of Love)

Posthumous Mixes:
    Stepping Stone [single, 4/8/70]* (Voodoo Child Collection)
    Izabella [b-side, 4/8/70]* (Voodoo Child Collection)
    Power of Soul [mix 7/16/97, final Hendrix overdubs 8/22/70] (South Saturn Delta)
    Beginnings [mix, 1/24/72] (War Heroes/First Rays)
    Bleeding Heart [mix 3/11/71] (War Heroes/South Saturn Delta)
    Pali Gap (“Slow Part”) [mix 5/12/71] (Rainbow Bridge/South Saturn Delta)
    In From The Storm [mix 11/29/70] (Cry of Love)
    Angel [mix 11/12/70, drum overdubs 10/19/70] (Cry of Love)
    Drifting [mix 12/2/70, vibes 11/20/70] (Cry of Love)
    Stepping Stone [mix, 12/3/70] (War Heroes/First Rays)
    Izabella [mix, 1/31/71] (War Heroes/First Rays)
    Hey Baby [mix 5/12/71] (Rainbow Bridge/First Rays)
    Midnight Lightning [7/10/97, 3/23/70 solo acoustic recording, Record Plant] (South Saturn Delta)

25. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Great research!
    Thank You!
    Beave