Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Esbjörn Svensson Trio Plays Monk

[​IMG]

Irish51, peter1, Robitjazz and 9 others like this.
  2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That band went through drummers almost like Spinal Tap -- Marc Edwards, Whit Dickey, Ibarra, Guillermo Brown.

For whatever reason I found I didn't keep up with Ware's music in that last decade or so of his life. So not only did I really miss the first quartet albums with Brown, but also the albums with the second quartet with Joe Morris, and the Planetary Unknown stuff. So there's a lot for me to catch up on. I've quite fallen in love with what I've heard of the stuff with Morris -- Shakti may be my favorite Ware album at the moment, and the Theatre Garonne live album recorded around that time that was recently release. But there's a lof

j4yheindeo, jay.dee, Ray Cole and 4 others like this.
  3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have but a few Charlie Parker releases in my library but I do enjoy them. Here is the start of this Saturday morning...

[​IMG]

The Quartet Of Charlie Parker* – Now's The Time
    Label: Verve Records – P2-25671
    Format:
    CD, Album, Club Edition, Reissue, Remastered
    Released: 1989
    Genre: Jazz
    Style: Bop

4. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

That's a good start to the morning!

Thanks. That's my plan. I still am hoping its just a severe cold, possibly due to the unwise choice of wearing less than ideal headgear (seen below) while walking the dogs on morning after the Steeler's win last week. What can I say?

[​IMG]

5. Berthold

Esbjörn Svensson Trio: Winter In Venice

[​IMG]

6. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Great stuff! I play these CDs quite a bit. If you are into vinyl, try to find the Analogue Productions LP of Vol. 1. It is an audiophile's dream cut. I have used it as a demo record a few times.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  7. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Have you considered getting the Savoy and Dial recordings. That’s some of the best music made. You can find them in various reissued.

8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Hope you feel better. Omicron is running rampant. Positivity rates around here peaked upwards of 20% but really, it got so rampant people wouldn't or couldn't get test or were just doing home tests so the number of positives I'm sure is vastly underreported. Sometimes I feel at this point like I'm the only person I know who HASN'T gotten it. A sore throat seems to be a major symptom of this variant (in fact, home testing kits with nasal swabs aren't picking it up often until the case is already pretty advanced and there's thinking ow that this variant is more likely to be found in the throat and that throat swabs and saliva tests might be more effective at picking it up). The good new is that it doesn't seem to be as likely to cause lung problems as prior variant, so while the cases can be very mild or pretty damn nasty, they don't seem to have the severe life threatening lung impacts that that made earlier variants so deadly for such a broad population.

9. bresna

bresna Senior Member

As others have noted, those tapes are likely the "LP masters", which are at least one generation down from the session reels. It's likely that the session reels for "Giant Steps" were lost in the Long Branch (NJ) warehouse fire in 1978, but if they were, it was one of a few that had a backup copy laying around because they've managed to issue several alternate takes from this session over the years. No one has ever published just exactly how these session tapes were found and Joel Dorn, who first released these alternates, died in 2007. Many years ago, I read a story which implied that these alternates are still around because someone illicitly copied the session masters for their own collection. Thank you for that theft? :)

10. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

frightwigwam, SJR, Fischman and 2 others like this.
  11. Hope you feel better soon!

Having slept on the Giant Steps decision, and not received any emails from ERC anyway (not a prior customer), I'm feeling more rational.
    Still on the look out for an early mono LP (the represses can still be found occasionally).

NP: Shelly Manne - Checkmate (Contemporary stereo repress from 70s)

Playing this again, mostly because it was in reach, and I enjoyed it so much a couple of weeks back.
    Breaking a long habit of 'play once and file'—certainly a good thing, though the shelves of as yet uncleaned LPs beckon.

[​IMG]

12. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

djost, Mike6565, Robitjazz and 7 others like this.
  13. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

NP: Randy Weston - Mosaic Select 4 (3CD, Mosaic, 2004)

On the one hand, I sometimes feel like this Select is a quite perfect introduction to the versatility of Weston's work. It has an enjoyable trio session, a couple of sessions with mid-sized groups with great musicians like Johnny Griffin, Coleman Hawkins and Kenny Dorham, and two great sessions with larger ensembles playing some of Weston's compositions influenced by African musical traditions.

On the other hand, I guess it would a bit odd to recommend an out of print Mosaic set as a starting point for anyone ...

Anyway, I am now listening to the trio session with Peck Morrison (b) and Connie Kay (d) on CD2 which was previously released as Piano A-la-mode on Jubiliee in 1957. I hope to be able re-listen the whole set this weekend.

[​IMG]

14. Berthold

Esbjörn Svensson Trio: From Gagarin's Point Of View

[​IMG]

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

He has played with Sam Yahel in the past and a live recording is available in his archive series as a d/l.

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP The Great Jazz Trio - Stella By Starlight (Eightyeights)
    W/John Patitucci and Omar Hakim with special guest Sadao Watanabe on a couple of tracks. Omar is a little too busy for my taste with Hank Jones but it’s still pretty good.

17. G L Tirebiter

Thanks, I did take an at-home test that was negative but the pharmacy about a mile away had a saliva based test that I thought more reliable. And I was there and done in less than 10 minutes. Also, I did get an email recently mentioning a "study" that purports marijuana alkaloids will prevent the Covid virus from entering human cells, so I may have to experiment with that in the future!! Better living through chemistry, as our friends at Dow Chemical used to say. Or was that Tim Leary?

18. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

NP:
    After the Stan Getz Captain Marvel LP (Columbia), it's Nadi Qamar and Mama Likembi; the latter is Qamar's creation based on modification of traditional African instruments which looks and sounds like an mbiri, but based on the notes, also includes strings somehow, and is intended to be played with 8 fingers (thumbs excluded) akin to a piano (Qamar, when known as Spaulding Givens, was an associate of Mingus and recorded some interesting sides for Debut).

Nadi Qamar – The Nuru Taa African Musical Idiom Played By Nadi Quamar On The Mama Likembi (1975, Vinyl)

https://mbira.org/what-is-mbira/mbira-music/the-mbira-instrument/

The Charles Mingus Duo & Trio* With Spaulding Givens & Max Roach - Debut Rarities ★ Volume 2

Time to flip the record over...

almost unison and Ray Cole like this.
  19. ILovethebassclarinet

In my look this morning, it seems that OOP set is still the only place that the Jubilee LP has been re-issued.

almost unison and Ray Cole like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

In the US I think not but it was reissued on SHM-CD in Japan in 2016.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Survival of alternate takes does not necessarily indicate that the original session tapes have also survived.

Completed, viable alternate takes, when saved at all, were often transferred (or dubbed) for retention, just as the takes that were selected for the final LP product were dubbed.

Session tapes were bulk erased and reused in many cases.

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

23. ILovethebassclarinet

I was going by what Discogs was showing - thanks for the tip!

24. G L Tirebiter

Lonson is a human Google (without the cookies)

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Interesting the comic artist used the ultra rare Led Zep 1 and Bridge Over Troubled Waters album covers. I especially like the boxing glove on BOTW.