Just how good is Ed Sheeran?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cool Chemist, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Only in your dreams. :p

2. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Option 3
    Very talented and I really like some of his songs.
    Photograph and Thinking Out Loud are really good. Lately he started repeating himself though.
    The problem is that he doesn't seem very inspired ... it's just the usual love songs.
    And his "albums" are only collections of songs.
    He won't come up with the new Sgt. Pepper I'm afraid.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  3. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident Thread Starter

The responsibility for what anybody posts on here lies solely with them.

I find your post disappointing as it questions the integrity and good faith behind the question that I had raised. You can look at posts that I have liked, which includes the wide gamut of opinion to see that I am interested in this question, which is about a musical phenomenon called Ed Sheeran.

One could simply state poll options of marks out of 5, for example, but it rarely helps foster interesting discussion.

4. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Often people who find a thread silly, or 'click-bait", etc. are the ones most likely to post in it, often repeatedly.

Michael Macrone, ARK and Cool Chemist like this.
  5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

You can't miss what you've never had. I've never heard him. I'm not even curious. And I'm sure he couldn't care less.

Mr. Bewlay likes this.
  6. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some people can't seem to help themselves. I blame the rise of social media for some increasingly poor online manners, including personal attacks on character as opposed to polite and respectful debate, which can be rigorous!
    The host, himself, has got quite fed up with it too it seems.

Amnion likes this.
  7. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Gotta take a "water off a duck's back" approach. Gorts do a great job weeding out over the top stuff. Posts can vary from the so illuminating "It/he/she/they sucks" to a half page or more of over-analysis. All part of the fun, but getting personal is obviously not a good thing, and to me reflects more on the attacker than attackee. I have been guilty of responding from time to time though...:angel:

Jarleboy, Cool Chemist and Man at C&A like this.
  8. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Unbelievable what this dude rakes in monthly ...just looking at his YT stats...with 50 million subscribers,generating a million a month...to appeal to that amount of people:shrug:...the suits in the board meeting are all scrambling to find the next redheaded kid who can sing and play guitar.His music doesn't appeal to me,but who cares :magoo::magoo::biglaugh::agree:

Cool Chemist likes this.
  9. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

He makes Megan Thee Stallion
    look like Doja Cat.

Penny24 likes this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I am soooooooo out of touch.... :shrug:

Cool Chemist and Amnion like this.
  11. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Was only good when he released the debut album and went downhill since. Nowadays just like Godfather III - does not exist. In the words of the late, great George Harrison, “I find (him) rubbish.”

12. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

I wouldn't know him if he walked by me.

Chemically altered likes this.
  13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

My actual position on Ed is between options 3 and 4. He is a very competent songwriter of mainstream formulaic lyrics. But if you read them they are well constructed and flow. The same with the music - formulaic but it flows along. The problem is not with Ed but with the other musical acts and brickwalling producers who are creating music that appeals to someone listening on the mobile while doing something else or a narrow segment.

There are very few artists making generally enjoyable music of a good quality so Ed has the field to himself pretty much.

Jarleboy and Cool Chemist like this.
  14. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

We're not supposed to notice that Swift is good-looking?

Brickie, GowG and Eric_Generic like this.
  15. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

Yeah. Call me when Ed Sheeran writes something as brilliantly lacerating as Play It All Night Long...

16. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

Not everything he does is my cup of tea but he's still very good. I really liked his debut album and now just a few songs off every album since.

Shivers gets a lot of plays here...

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

I get him confused with Jamie Oliver...

Eric_Generic likes this.
  18. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

He started off sounding exactly like Nizlopi, who he used to roadie for before he got signed. Nothing remotely original about anything he's ever done.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  19. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

I agree with the bit in bold. The rest of your post is obviously absolute nonsense, but you know that already.

Bowland and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Taylor Swift is an attractive lady. There's nothing wrong with saying that. Before that she's an extremely talented musician and songwriter and a fine singer of course, but there's absolutely nothing sexist in acknowledging her beauty. Women comment on males looks too. There's nothing wrong with it either way. It's ultimately why we're all here.

In a Blondie thread, who I'm a big fan of, I mentioned that I thought Debbie Harry was at her sexiest in the early punk era. I've admit I'm surprised I didn't get flak for it, but looking at what she was wearing around that time, it's what she wanted people to think and it got her noticed. The records sold because of the great music though. Looks and sexuality has always been part of pop and rock music, from males and females. People shouldn't be admonished or insulted just for acknowledging that.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  21. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

[​IMG]

You get the idea...redhead

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Ed is a decent guitar player. Nothing too technical but he does play alternating bass lines pretty smoothly. Some of his chord inversions are cool. He pretty much stays with inside the key chords in his songs. That does not mean anything regarding his songwriting but he sounds a little too similar to me. He knows what his fans like.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

I have only listened. to him on tv appearances , so I haven't explored his catalogue. So if I looked further, maybe I might discover a song or two that would change my opinion; but as is, I find him boring. I don't get it tbh , I find him unremarkable as a musician , not a note he's sung engages me, and I guess the lack of discernible ' hook' ( nor the Boris Johnson look) manages to deter his fans.

Btw , you know, in general I don't like to disparage any artist , they've paid their dues and deserve respect for defying the odds of making it. But truth be told, I can't help but compare him to other singer songwriters, and feel like if I saw Ed at open mic night , it would be time for me to leave my seat and fetch a cup of coffee. And hope the coffee stand is in the next room.

As far as ( relatively ) newer artists of this genre ( at least those who broke in after the dawn of the 21st century lol) I would much rather listen to folks like the Avett Brothers, Mumford and Sons, Ingrid Michaelson and the Lumineers. And a newer guy to the scene, Alec Benjamin, really knocked my socks off with his song Older ( and even though I am definitely older than 30- it still resonates )

I just can't get into Ed, but I do give him a little credit for keeping this type of music alive - and hope his fans will further explore the singer songwriter genre and discover people like those previously named; along with talents like Mary Chapin Carpenter, Jackson Browne and of course .....Dylan.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't love him, but I think he's talented, and the kind of act I can understand being someone's favorite.

And I still think The A Team is great. Most acts don't even have one song I'd say that about.

I don't get where the animosity comes from. Maybe jealousy.

Jarleboy and JohnJ like this.
  25. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

On a scale from Stuart Sutcliffe to John Lennon, he is a solid Pete Best.