Deal Or No Deal

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rigoberto, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone been watching these old shows on Amazon Prime? They are really good. Start with Season 3.

2. Rigoberto

Apparently not!

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Saw them all a couple of times now.

4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I occasionally watch reruns on GSN. They obviously screened contestants in order to get risk takers (the show would have been more boring if everyone played it safe), but I'm still somewhat surprised when I see how much people are willing to gamble on this show. I recently saw an episode where three cases were left -- $1,000,000 and two lower amounts. The contestant was being offered around $500,000 to leave. Instead they took the risk, revealed the $1,000,000, and ended up leaving with a very small amount of money. Would that person have gambled $500,000 outside of this show on a 1 in 3 chance that they would double their money? I don't know, but I think people would be more conservative if they were gambling money they had accumulated through working and investments over time. Somehow because the offer is still just "theoretical" money, not money they already have in hand, people will take significant risks hoping that their luck will make them rich. I've only ever seen one contestant not play the game this way, and it was so unusual that Howie actually commented how strange it was that the contestant was leaving with three large amounts still in play.

kevywevy likes this.
  5. I recall reading an interview with Howie Mandel back in the day where he said he was astounded that someone would be offered a huge amount of money for simply saying "I'll take it" but would turn it down for lousy odds at making more. He chocked it up to people being caught up in the excitement and ignoring their common sense.

6. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

There was no gamble in Mr. Mandel’s decision to be Host; it was a
    quantum leap from this:

“Howie Mandel: Take the C Train - Calgary Transit 1983.

7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Or the pals that would keep screaming “no deal” to their friend. So annoying.

Generally, if it gets up to $100,000 plus just take it. You’re almost always going to take a big dip and then struggle to get out of the pit if you’re even able.

8. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

My wife and I watched it for the first couple years then it got stale. Did anyone ever get to the end and win the $1 million?

9. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

I like the video game. I'll have to watch some on Amazon Prime.

10. Rigoberto

There were two winners in season 4. I haven't seen those shows yet since I'm still on season 3 on amazon prime.

JohnBeas likes this.
  11. Rigoberto

Just started on Season 5. This season was something like 10 years after Season 4. A new thing is you can do a counteroffer on the banker offer but only once per game. And I don't think you can switch cases at the end anymore.

12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The slow pace of the show was a turnoff.

lv70smusic likes this.
  13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I cannot imagine watching it in real time unless I was only half paying attention. With a DVR, however, it's easy to pick up the pace.

tonyc likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.