David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

2. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

I certainly hope so!

croquetlawns likes this.
  3. falldog

falldog Calmer Man

I hear you. To be fair, a lot of substance has also been released - ignoring remixes which are contentious (and ignoring irritating release tactics/formats), we have had a bunch of early demos (some of which were unknown), some really good live stuff (WTTB, CA, IOD, the BLAs) and some one-offs (IIAW, CNB).

If the price of the substance is the existence of the tat (which I can happily ignore), then kudos to the tat (*).
    The tat reminds be of the huge amount of Elvis stuff that you still see being hawked even to this day, and I guess the Bowie stuff is just going to get as bad as that over time.

Although I have no desire for any of that "random stuff with 'Bowie' written on it", I really think the Bowie estate have missed a trick on the "onesie" front - a set of printed onesies depicting his famous looks would surely be more of a draw than a black T-shirt with "Bowie" stamped on it.
    The "Old Grey Whistle Test"/Ziggy cover jump-suit, a Yamamoto Ziggy outfit or two, The Thin White Duke, TJ Newton, Scary Monsters's Pierrot costume - I'd happily sit watching TV in any of those, and I'm fairly confident that with the hood up I wouldn't even be able to hear my wife telling me how sad I was :)

(*) Two album titles right there - "The Price Of The Substance" and "Kudos To The Tat" :D

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

There's one in Berlin as well! :uhhuh:

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I wonder if Tony will pop in and sign some brickwalling?

6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Does he sign "Rotten Tony" ? :winkgrin:

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  7. NightGoatToCairo

What would you have Tony do? Even with the hood down, TV's bass booster would probably be enough to mute the missus. Maybe you could erect a pole for Tony; he could dance around that to the "Heroes" album until he has to pause for a loss of energy.

Runicen likes this.
  8. NightGoatToCairo

"Rotten Tony [David's voice on Earth]"

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

When people stop buying.

10. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

I must have bought 30 copies of Low just to get a quiet version the 2nd side , I bought 15 each of the Orange label and of Green International labels, I must say I found more quiet versions of this green label, I have now 5 quiet versions as I sold the others !

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  11. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

If you were after a quiet side 2 and you now have 5, why did you carry on buying after you got your 1st good one? :laugh:

I must've got lucky with my week-of-release copy, lifted to order for me from Boots The Chemist by my dearly beloved 1st music buddy, now sadly deceased :cry:

12. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Not the ideal thread to post this but at least partially the time frame fits in this one:

CAMERA WORK Virtual Gallery - CAMERA WORK
    (scroll down a little below the Muhammad Ali part)

A virtual online gallery in Berlin with two floors of photographs of Bowie, many known, some not, all of them for sale as prints.

Love the one of Bowie and Iman dancing (second floor)!

croquetlawns likes this.
  13. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

That’ll be for the 50th. The 45th anniversary’s have been coloured vinyl for awhile.

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That's Kate Moss

scobb and Neonbeam like this.
  15. falldog

falldog Calmer Man

It depends which photo you're looking at ... ;)

footprintsinthesand and surfling like this.
  16. sillyboyblue

sillyboyblue Forum Resident

There’s definitely one with Iman.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  17. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

It would have to be an unfeasibly flattering pic of Moss for anyone to confuse her with Iman.

Cat People likes this.
  18. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

yeah, he is dancing with Iman, and posing with Kate in the same gallery room :shh:

19. falldog

falldog Calmer Man

OR ... is he posing with Iman and dancing with Kate? That's the problem with photographs (*) - you can't tell if they were moving at the time ...

(*) I was once asked by a group of "youngsters" if I would please kindly take a selfie of them. I replied that unfortunately, by definition, I could not. I did, however, take a photograph :laugh:

20. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

What is the sound quality like on the orange vinyl Low? Identical to the earlier reissue or degraded due to colour vinyl?

21. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Who has the earlier boot/files of Toy and which tracklisting do you prefer?

The new tracklisting, or the unauthorised one which goes like this in comparison?

1 uncle floyd, 2 afraid, 3 baby loves, 4 dig, 5 conv piece, 6 let me sleep, 7 toy
    8 hole ground, 9 shadow, 10 heat morning, 11 habit leaving 12 silly boy, 13 Liza Jane, 14 London boys?

22. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

It's probably just me, but I am not finding that I am that bothered about what the tracklisting is for Toy. It feels like one of those albums that you could play in any order and it would sound fine.

Having said that, I did have the leaked version and tended to skip Uncle Floyd and Afraid. I thought the intro to Uncle Floyd works well on the Reality tour dvd, but the studio version tended to grate after a couple of listens. Happy with the Heathen versions of both songs and am not upset that they were excluded from the new version (but completely understand why others would have liked them to be included).

23. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Really could do without Hole in the Ground
    Wish it found its way on Heathen too.
    What does it have to do with the other tracks ?

Leaving out Liza Jane of the official Toy is beyond my understanding, unless it was planned then for a single release.

I still have to come up with my own Toy, but Liza Jane would be a very good opener considering its history

Cat People likes this.
  24. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

love Afraid, fully happy it ended up on Heathen

Bink and aphexj like this.
  25. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Unless originally there would have been a single release from Toy in 2001 and Liza Jane would have been a b-side?

pobbard likes this.