Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2021-2022 47th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Sep 9, 2021.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

According to the NME article, it was indeed Jack's father Rick.

2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I didn't think the second Bleachers song sounded like Springsteen.

3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I enjoyed Bleachers. The rest of the show was a complete snooze fest.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Why does the Bleachers sound like Springsteen now? So odd.

Also this week's show was pretty weak. They had a host where they didn't need to write specifically for so they had a month to figure out good sketches no matter who it was. A shame she didn't have any strong material to work with.

MikaelaArsenault and Shawn like this.
  5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

She certainly exudes confidence in front of the camera on LIVE television and she really SELLS the roles she's in. ANYONE who can make Pete Davidson look more than he actually is, is ACES in my book.

6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

To me, Bleachers’ two songs went beyond “sounding like” Springsteen or being influenced by Springsteen to being a carbon copy of the Clarence Clemons-era E Street Band. It was like watching an Elvis impersonator, except it was a Springsteen impersonator.

Having said that, for me the performance was at least somewhat redeemed by the bass player. Holy cow.

somnar, Shoes1916, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

How about you stop reading things into what posters say and don't say. I don't need someone to tell me what I should comment on in a thread on entertainment. Your reaction to one freakin' band is way over the top as if you take it personal that someone doesn't like what you like.

There is such a thing as a new band being derivative, but changing it in a way to make it their own. I just didn't hear anything from Bleachers that made it their own that made me take note. So drop the attitude. Everyone has an opinion that is valid including your own so act accordingly.

8. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Put Springsteen and Donnie Iris in a blender, skim off 95% of the talent and ladies & gentlemen, BLEACHERS!!!!!

It reminded me of seeing Springsteen cover bands on Long Island dropping an “original” into their set, then the floor would clear & everyone went to get another drink at the bar while they played it.

Otherwise I thought the show was not too bad last night.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  9. Tim Lookingbill

That's right! I forgot about that. What a beautiful looking bass player. That's all I was looking at. Bleachers appeared to be a collection of unrelated band members sitting in like they were a family to help support the band.

10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Not even a particularly huge fan, chum. I'm just pointing out that the reason that this song "sounds like Springsteen" is that it was meant to, down to having Bruce himself sing on the album version. Weird that you cut that part of of your tetchy response, but do you. You have a nice evening, now.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. Tim Lookingbill

How the hell am I suppose to know that it was intentional for that one SNL performance for Bleachers to sound like Springsteen? And of course you skipped over your snide comment about what I meant by boomer rock derivative music.

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I thought that was the weakest episode in recent memory. And they had a talented, charismatic host to work with and wasted her.

Honestly, they have two dozen cast members, each with their own writing entourage, and that's all they can come up with?

13. Tim Lookingbill

The 2012 SNL rerun episode at 9PM Central with Daniel Radcliffe as host I laughed and enjoyed more. A skit interviewing Youtube media influencers who act and come across totally clueless on any particular subject they claim to be experts on was so funny and prophetic.

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If you live long enough, everything old is new again. This is the kind of poor man’s Springsteen clone that Bleachers’ performance most strongly reminded me of:

15. Listening to only their two SNL songs (and not their albums etc.) I def heard the Springsteen influence but felt there was some Talking Heads in there too. Didn’t bother me any but not my cup of tea.

16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Exactly, it's funny to see people act like he's some random novice that Lorne saw in a bar and snatched up, when he's arguably the biggest pop producer of the past 5 years and has been all over the last 4 or 5 Swift records amongst others.

17. trickness

Being able to produce hugely successful records for others does not automatically qualify you as a great artist yourself, quite the contrary. Have you heard George Martin’s rap album?

18. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Before he started being a huge collaborator when he and Taylor started collaborating around 2013, Jack was already a successful performer in the group Fun, you may have heard of their big hit from ten years ago. Nate Ruess was the lead singer but Jack was pretty much the creative brains and main musician here, long before Bleachers and his work with Swift, Lana, St Vincent, Lorde, Dixie Chicks, etc... I'm sure you've heard this song in passing at least, it was a huge #1 hit and one of the biggest hits of that era... and this was Jack too.

He's been popular in the alternative world for a long time, that first Bleachers record (after the breakup of Fun, which had too much ego between him and Nate Reuss) was everything in summer 2014

19. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Blu DeTiger, and that is not a stage name.

Drummer is her brother Rex.

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Or side two of Yellow Submarine.

21. trickness

I’m aware of his work and success. Which is why the Springsteen light thing he did on SNL, nothing original, retro rock bar band by the numbers thing was such a drag. With all that cash and all that experience and all the people he could possibly get up on stage with, and all the songs he could write, it was just…..derivative and flaccid.

MikaelaArsenault and Shoes1916 like this.
  22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That’s where rock is. Either clone some icon from the past, or play with glitchy Pro Tools beats like Thom Yorke as if that’s new and exciting. I feel sorry for people like Antonoff born too late to participate in a living genre of music.

23. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Happy to see vintage drums. I believe they are Slingerland yellow satin swirl.

[​IMG]

Shoes1916 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. trickness

I don’t agree. There is always good and bad music being made. There is TONS of great music being made today. Don’t blame mediocrity on a decade. That set he played on SNL would be skim milk just as much in the 70’s as it was this week. Probably more so.

25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter