“Station Eleven” – HBO Max Miniseries

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bmoregnr, Jan 14, 2022.

1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident Thread Starter

I was a little surprised but then maybe not so surprised at not seeing a Station Eleven thread here. Now that this show concluded last night as such a big hit in our household, I’d point out I think many around these parts would really enjoy it. Based on the 2014 novel of the same name, there is a pandemic setting which can feel a little jarring at first, all things considered; but there is an incredible amount of heart and care and much more within it than ever trying to be any kind of science fiction story.

Anyway, if anyone wants to chat about it let's do so here.

2. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I was going to check it out at some point. I was waiting to exhaust another free trial service first. But might move on to this soon. I heard from a few people that it was worth watching.

3. bmoregnr

Damon Lindelof meets Hamlet would probably be my logline.

ubiknik likes this.
  4. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I enjoyed it, but I have to say that I enjoyed it less as it went on. Excellent acting. For a disaster movie, it's set on a surprisingly small scale. It's a character study more than anything else.

bmoregnr likes this.
  5. bmoregnr

It’s definitely a character study. It’s a read between the lines, arty, allegorical, non-linear story telling vehicle so yeah I’d understand anyone saying not for me thanks. The acting, music, costuming and art direction do get special nods in my book.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Paul Mazz and GregorSamsa like this.
  6. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

I read the book a few years ago - Emily St. John Mandel is one of my favourite authors - and was anticipating this series with a great deal of optimism. I was not disappointed. I’m looking forward to watching it again, but first I want to reread the novel.

I hope the series gets a Blu-ray release. Highly recommended!

rainspainplain, lbangs and bmoregnr like this.
  7. bmoregnr

Wow. Third time watching the finale, probably fifth time this particular scene:
    Mind blown a bit. First time noticing Doctor Eleven is standing behind the stairs behind Kirsten as she watches Elizabeth as Gertrude’s final line. How did I not see that before? Sly stuff. The music in this whole scene but especially Laertes onward is so phenomenally pitch perfect.

Also it’s great how you get the “Hamlet” money shot in such a sly and subverted way when backstage Alex asks Tyler, in Hamlet costume pondering over a skull, “how do you feel, right now?”… “like I don’t know what I’m going to do”. That feeling is perfect for the scene indeed. Scores of details and connections like that throughout.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  8. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

This was an excellent series. Thought the flipping time lines were very effective.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  9. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

"I remember damage"

With the one line takeaway/tagline, the miniseries accomplishes far more in 10 episodes than other major productions have done in multiple seasons.

As a study in both leaving and togetherness, I found Station 11 to be one of the most enjoyable series in years.

Two thumbs up for me.

10. rogsherwood

rogsherwood Forum Resident

Beautiful, thoughtful and different. Really hoping it gains more exposure over time. The source material was great to start with but huge credit to the show runners - they adapted this in the right way for TV. Serious The Leftovers vibes - production, script, tone but not a copy-cat or pastiche.

I cried during the last episode and it’s been a while since a show has done that to me.

Scotian, Blue Gecko, JohnG and 2 others like this.
  11. bmoregnr

This show made me join Reddit as there are good discussions there. I just noticed the spinning wheel/hourglass of Reddit looks exactly like Tyler's gaming device as he lit the torch. That multi-wheel shows up again when Miranda is on Station Eleven, one of the machines has the rotating wheels/dots. Probably not a coincidence.

Very good interview with the show creator that highlights their approach and its layers. Station Eleven’s Creator Explains Why He Changed the Book’s Ending

GregorSamsa likes this.
  12. ed carter

ed carter Forum Resident

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I thought it was awful. Completely unbelievable and unrealistic, both pre-pandemic and post. I know few people would watch it, but a post apocalyptic world would be a hellscape, even 20 years later, not some (semi) bucolic soap opera. It lost me halfway through episode one.

Scott222C likes this.
  13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Whatever floats your boat. I was so turned off by the time-flopping
    that I bailed early in episode 2. My loss.

14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Somewhere three days ago I heard about Station Eleven, and have watched the complete series since then. Thanks for starting this thread. Believe it or not I was going to start one of my own but decided to do a search one more time. I’m glad I did! I think it was a very thought provoking story and perhaps the equal of Watchmen from a couple of years back. Looking forward to hearing from others.

15. bmoregnr

I waited a good bit before starting this thread. I do feel it’ll always be the minority that will ever like this show. It rung my soul like a deep bell, and I can think of no other similar experience closer than Watchmen.

It’s a wonderful experience that when this good takes me weeks to fully shed; and even when I finally do, it all still echoes for me months and years later.

Pushing the form towards full art often means missing marks and or never being universally accepted. Luckily matters of little concern to me.

Paul Mazz and EddieMann like this.
  16. EddieMann

This is a beautifully written post. But don’t forget us guys that fell asleep in high school during Macbeth. ;)

rogertheshrubber and bmoregnr like this.
  17. bmoregnr

:biglaugh:

18. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Absolutely loved it. I thought the acting was A+ and the pacing was spot on. Soundtrack and score were also great.

Unlike disaster/post-apocalyptic movies/series of yore, this one seriously got in my head in a "would I survive, could I manage" sort of way.

bmoregnr likes this.
  19. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I enjoyed the book, but the show hasn’t really grabbed me.

20. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

You probably should skip "The Tragedy Of Macbeth".

EddieMann likes this.
  21. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I watched the whole thing and found it a bit mawkish. "Here's an emotional crescendo and another and, ooh, another followed by a heartfelt moment."

It really dragged on after awhile.

22. EddieMann

Station Eleven showrunner Patrick Somerville wrote for the great series the Leftovers. Makes sense.

23. bmoregnr

24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Just started it tonight, very good so far.

25. bmoregnr

I’ve come to find this is a show where if you want to dislike it there is plenty there to support you; and conversely, if you want to like it you can look at the other side of the coin and root away the rest. This dilemma is probably compounded for those who read the novel.

I think this piece gets into some of those aspects very well: What Made Station Eleven So Rewarding .

Jim Pattison likes this.