Is Manowar a serious band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tkl7, Dec 6, 2013.

1. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Are Hammerfall considered to be their contemporaries?
    If so I want nothing to do with them......:D

2. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I don't know whether Manowar were serious, but their contemporary "hail to my country" followers definitely are...

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, the 83-88 albums are much better IMHO. Though Battle Hymns is bloody good. The title track gives you a good hint of what was to follow.

sathvyre and ThunderDan like this.
  4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

They don't have 1 percent of Manowar's musical talent and appeared years later. Do you judge Tolkien by countless modern fantasy authors or Star Wars Original Trilogy by modern sci-fi films?

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Good lad.

I don't know how familiar you are with the band, but if you aren't, I'd encourage you to explore their next few albums. In my opinion, every album up to and including Kings Of Metal are worth checking out.

6. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

But Warlord is BY FAR the weakest track on Into Glory Ride! It sounds like a B-Side and sticks out like a sore finger on otherwise perfect album.

The Slipperman, sathvyre and obi like this.
  7. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

[​IMG]

MYQ1 and Man at C&A like this.
  8. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

no, more like imitators

Manowar paved trial for many 90s and 2000s "true metal" and Power Metal bands

MYQ1 likes this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I'm so glad that guitarist Ross The Boss has remained active in music and is part of the re-formed original lineup of The Dictators.

THE DICTATORS appreciation thread

sathvyre, porotikos and bzfgt like this.
  10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

My favorite is Sign of the Hammer, followed closely by Hail To England.

sathvyre, ThunderDan and Yam Graham like this.
  11. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

please watch this opera vocal coach become enraptured, and possibly spontaneously pregnant, when encountering their mighty majesty

Anthrax, Omnio, vonseux and 1 other person like this.
  12. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Needs to stop reviewing patchy live performances and stick to the studio versions; then she'd be delivering triplets, if not quads.

Anthrax likes this.
  13. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I suspect her husband alerted her ahead of time to avoid possible health issues and another mouth to feed.

Anthrax likes this.
  14. Trillmeister

Her impressions re Eric's final sustain during the ending of 'Black Wind, Fire and Steel' would have been good; in terms of selecting a number from the band's extensive catalogue of vocal pyrotechnics, this 2002 song is far too tame, don't you think?

Anthrax likes this.
  15. vonseux

she is sexy AF

Dudley Morris, lenny nero and bzfgt like this.
  16. vonseux

actually the job of this online vocal coachs is to analyse technique

studio recordings are not reliable for this purpose, because its so heavily controlled

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

+100!

bzfgt likes this.
  18. Trillmeister

They (live performances) often don't sound like the original experience upon which legacies are founded.

I prefer to think with studio conditions when it comes to the best Metal heroes, that very control affords the very best projection of individual skill sets.

Whilst some live effects can sound amazing, obviously, they're generally too variable to ensure consistent quality.

19. vonseux

but thats the whole point

and she is not picking a fan recording from a cell phone on a random concert, is an "official" live clip

anyway, Eric sounds impressive in this set and the video is and much more engaging than the studio recording

bzfgt likes this.
  20. Trillmeister

Whatever, in relative terms, it remains a fairly ordinary song that I'm surprised people suggested over so many other, truly extraordinary compositions.

21. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Mostly on the first two albums, for my money

22. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Manowar are, as they say, "serious as cancer." I find them to be utterly ridiculous in every way, especially the album covers and overall look in general, but I have to say, I know people who have been diehard fans for decades and absolutely swear by them. They also have a huge following overseas. So we may laugh at the album covers and overall ridiculousness, but there are actually people out there who consider them one of the greatest bands of all time.

Go figure.

bzfgt likes this.
  23. Trillmeister

Many people, especially muso centric types (players or critics) are instrinsically anti-Metal - I don't understand why but it's a sentiment that generally holds up in 'mainstream' or 'normie' circles.

Lots of other genres paint themselves in absurd scenarios and/or abstract contexts, coming out with huge vats of aesthetic, lyrical and instrumental awfulness yet somehow, these deficiencies evade the censoriousness of that very mainstream.

When Metal thrusts its ignoble tackle before such audiences, proudly and defiantly, no amount of artistic merit, technical prowess or musical wherewithal is going to be allowed to filter through.

Sure, like any popular act, it will attract a fair quotient of unholy dunderheads yet withal, that has precisely squat to do with the reality of soul cleansing, electric genius.

So whilst I'm laughing along with the swashbuckling lunacy of 'Dark Avenger,' I'm also on board for some of the genre's finest warp drive.

They certainly have their moments and these high peaks undoubtedly are 'great.' I suspect much of their detraction is based upon a lethal combo of literal ignorance and withering falseness.

:uhhuh:

Anthrax, Jmetamatic, obi and 2 others like this.
  24. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I agree with every word of this. Like I said, I don't like Manowar specifically but there's a ton of other metal stuff that I love that I guess some might call "cheesy." To me, the fact that those artists are putting themselves out there like that makes me respect them more. What they're doing is not "safe" and they stand a very good chance of being mercilessly mocked and scorned by the haters, but to me that's a sign of real art. I also think that's why a lot of these bands get the sort of ride-or-die, hardcore fans who stand by them no matter what. I might think it's silly that Manowar wear loincloths and say things like "real men play on 10" but at the same time I think stuff like that is why their fans love them so much.

Trillmeister and bzfgt like this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I don't know. I think that was true about critics vis a vis metal at one time, but not really any more so much. At least, a lot of music publications take it seriously these days....

Secondly, the over the topness of many non-metal acts has historically been excoriated by critics....prog, for instance.

The thing with Manowar is not just that they are over the top, but they have no sense of humor about themselves and take it deadly seriously...at least, Joey DeMaio does. I think the others may see a little humor in it all, at least privately. But silliness is sillier if the silly person takes it seriously. JD is kind of like Tommy Wiseau in this regard....except, unlike Wiseau, he is genuinely talented.

Their presentation does open them up for ridicule. But I think that DeMaio is, or at least was, a very talented songwriter. For me, this is mostly evidenced on the first two albums and parts of Hail to England, but perhaps I am biased and many others appreciate their later stuff, which I wouldn't care to argue about. Without putting anything else down, however, I would say that all the songs on Battle Hymns are pretty brilliant.

Trillmeister and The Slipperman like this.