Supertramp Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Jan 14, 2022.

1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Surprised there wasn't one already. When I was 15, my family and I were in the car, getting ready to leave the park. In this van, there was a radio/tape player in the back seat that plugged into headphones. I put them on instantly and heard the song "Breakfast In America" and loved the song so much! Moments like these don't happen very much, but back then it wasn't so easy to find a band. But about three years later, I did discover it was Supertramp, and they've been in my Top 5 favorite bands throughout the last few decades.... Ken Scott did one hell of a job producing, too!

I think Supertramp is the most underrated band ever. Yeah, they had hits and sold a lot, but some of their great stuff was overlooked. I think a lot of it is because the band were faceless; no sex appeal... Never heard about serious problems, no drug problems, no smashing up hotels, pretty normal guys.

I don't care for the jann wenner non-rock and roll hall of fame, but for over a decade, I always thought, "If they ever get in, it might be the one time they finally play together" so I'm still waiting, since they're one band with all their members still alive.

I think that Roger played his best solos on Rick's songs, and vice-versa.. The guitar solo on "Crime of the Century", "Rudy", and "Waiting So Long" are my favorites of his, with the latest one sounding very Gilmour-esque, even the tone.. My favorite Rick's solos are on "School" and "Child of Vision".

I think Roger and Rick both wrote their very best stuff, although I think Rick had a few duds. I also find it kinda ironic that Rick's biggest hit was the song he sounds like Roger with "Goodbye Stranger".. This woman I've known for decades (who has been a fan even longer) even though it was Roger singing "Goodbye Stranger", although it's John who does the highest harmony. Speaking of Helliwell, he played on a Pink Floyd album after Roger left.. David plays the cool solo on "Brother Where You Bound?".

Speaking of Roger and Rick, Pink Floyd had theirs, too. Rick was the pianist, didn't get along with Roger. "Famous Last Words" and "The Final Cut" were also released around the same time. My favorite pianists' names all start with an "R" -- Rick Wright, Rick Davies, Ray Manzarek, and Rick Wakeman was great, especially his playing on David Bowie's "Lady Grinning Soul".

I somehow stumbled into their official YouTube page, and found an interview I never heard, including a song they did live (cover) that I never heard of.. We had an album-by-album thread last year, and will go album-by-album, and try to post things like interviews and things newly uploaded, or "rare" stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpS0hJ21amjA5eBApEOiIFw

"A - You're Adorable" is the song. Listening to "In Conversation" right now and enjoying it.

Supertramp
    -Words Unspoken
    -Surely
    -Shadow Song
    -Try Again
    -Maybe I'm A Beggar
    -Aubade / And I Am Not Like Other Birds of Prey
    -Home Again
    -It's A Long Road
    -Nothing To Show

I love the vocals, but I think the guitar is really underrated.. Love the hammer-ons, the style, not quite flamenco, but has a Spanish/Middle-Eastern feel on some songs.. My favorite guitar is on "Try Again" and "Words Unspoken" (even though it isn't so prevalent on this song).

Indelibly Stamped
    My least favorite album with Roger Hodgson... I'll rank em in order of favorites

1. Traveled
    2. Rosie Had Everything Planned
    3. Aries
    4. Potter
    5. Remember
    6. Forever
    7. Times Have Changed

I really don't like the other three songs at all... Actually, I only like the first two songs. "Aries" just goes on too long without many changes.

Actually, I think "Hooked On A Problem" is very much like "Ain't Nobody But Me"
    My least favorite album with Roger Hodgson... I'll rank em in order of favorites

1. Traveled
    2. Rosie Had Everything Planned
    3. Aries
    4. Potter
    5. Remember
    6. Forever
    7. Times Have Changed

I really don't like the other three songs at all... Actually, I only like the first two songs. "Aries" just goes on too long without many changes.

Actually, I think "Hooked On A Problem" is very much like "Ain't Nobody But Me"

Crime Of The Century

Does anyone know Roger's contribution when it came to the writing part on the song "Crime of the Century"? I think for "School", Rick did the "Don't do this, don't do that..." part. And what a piano solo - my favorite! It's interesting, because each guy seems to play their best solos on the other guys' song... Roger's best guitar solos are on "Crime of the Century", "Rudy", and "Waiting So Long", while Rick's is "School" and "Child of Vision".. I like that; instead of just withholding their best for their own song.

Now, time to rank them in order..
    -Crime of the Century
    -Rudy
    -School
    -Hide In Your Shell
    -If Everyone Was Listening
    -Asylum
    -Bloody Well Right
    -Dreamer

Crisis? What Crisis?

My 2nd favorite Supertramp album.. Maybe not the best sequencing, though. Personally, I like albums to start out with a kick.

Just a Normal Day
    A Soapbox Opera
    Another Man's Woman (this would have been a better starter)
    The Meaning (I love the Helliwell solo a lot)
    Sister Moonshine
    Two of Us
    Lady
    Ain't Nobody But Me
    Easy Does It
    Poor Boy

Even In The Quietest Moments
    -Babaji
    -From Now On
    -Fool's Overture
    -Give A Little Bit
    -Lover Boy
    -Even In The Quietest Moment
    -Downstream

I like this album, but I think the disparity in quality is wider than "Crime" to "Crisis?".... Luckily, they bounced back on their next album.

Breakfast In America
    1. Gone Hollywood
    Good starting song. I love the middle, when the drums go out, but my favorite is when the drums come in... "If we only had time"

2. Logical Song
    Always loved this song. The lyrics, especially. The singing is great. It's all great.

3. Goodbye Stranger
    A girlfriend of mine was a huge Supertramp fan, but thought this was Roger singing. It's funny that Rick's most well-known song sounds a bit like Roger, high-falsetto voice.

4. Breakfast In America
    10/10 - I'll never get sick of this song.

5. Oh, Darling
    Never liked this.

6. Take The Long Way Home
    I liked this song more in my youth.

7. Lord Is It Mine
    I like it.

8. Just Another Nervous Wreck
    Didn't care for this.

9. Casual Conversations
    It's alright.

10. Child Of Vision
    I like this song, especially how it starts with the aggressive Wurlitzer. I like the lyrics, and I think this is Rick's 2nd best piano solo after "School"

Famous Last Words --- probably their most underrated album. I love it.

1. "Crazy" Roger Hodgson 4:44
    -A great opener... Catchy, cool lyrics, but I would have cut short that long outro.
    2. "Put On Your Old Brown Shoes" Rick Davies 4:22
    -I couldn't stand this song as a teen, but I kinda like it now. Especially the "rap".

3. "It's Raining Again" Hodgson 4:24
    -Never liked this song, never will. There's about 20 seconds of it that is pretty good (when the drums cut out)

"Bonnie" Davies 5:37
    -Used to listen to this a lot on my drives to college.. The piano embellishments are beautiful.

5. "Know Who You Are" Hodgson 5:00
    -Beautiful song. Amazing chords.

"My Kind of Lady" Davies 5:15
    -Never liked this much, except the "Oh my honey..."

"C'est le bon" Hodgson 5:32
    -I like it, but 5:32 is a bit long for this song.

"Waiting So Long" Davies 6:35
    -One of my favorite Supertramp songs. Probably Roger's best guitar solo. Very Gilmour-esque

"Don't Leave Me Now"
    -Love this song. The drum beat helps it out. The vocals are great, very emotional and pleading. This also features one of Roger's best guitar solos.

After Roger's departure, I've only liked a few songs... The song, "Brother Where You Bound?", "Better Days" and "Slow Motion". It's too bad Rick felt they didn't have the harmony (after Roger wanted to play on the 40th anniversary), but it's good to see him still alive, and playing with G.E. Smith not too long ago in a small pub.

Have to give a thanks to Stanley "Sam" August Miesegaes, who financed them (well, Rick anyway) until they got "big" with "Crime of the Century", and I think they gave him a "Thanks, Sam" on the album.

If I get another trial of newspapers.com, I'll try to find some articles, interviews, something!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  2. MortSahlFan

"You're Adorable"

3. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

I love Supertramp. Their 1974-1982 catalog is really outstanding (including "Famous Last Words" in my opinion).I think "Brother Where You Bound" was better than "In The Eye Of The Storm". But "Open The Door" is better than "Slow Motion" in my view.
    A real pity that they never reformed. They worked on "You Win I Lose", but it never developed. Maybe they both would get along better without their wifes being involved ;-)

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

One of my favourite bands, but I’m Canadian, so that goes without saying.

There are just under 90 albums that have sold more than one million copies in Canada...they’re given Diamond status. Platinum is 100 000 copies up here. Supertramp has two albums that are Diamond...Crime and Breakfast. It’s the equivalent of selling 10 million copies of each album in the US.

Every tenth household in Canada has a copy of these records. We love Supertramp.

5. Pianoman99

Well you guys have good taste then :)

6. MortSahlFan

Roger Hodgson / Rick Davies Song List

Jointly Authored by Davies & Hodgson
    Just a Normal Day

"School" is another one, but I coulda swore the other song was "Crime of the Century"... It's good to finally correct myself.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  7. MortSahlFan

Does Roger do anything on the song that was released? I remember Roger saying "Brother Where You Bound" and "Free As A Bird" was around years before it was released.

I also agree 100% about Rick's wife working as his manager being a problem. Rick was the guy who got the money to start the band, and then adding his wife to the mix had to screw up the balance. But I know Roger mentioned lifestyle differences, and Rick infers (in this VHS I have) the musical differences. "You have a blank canvass. One guy wants it red, one guy wants it blue and the picture is never completed." (paraphrase)

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  8. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I recently found a seemingly japan only "BREAKFAST IN AMERICA" big super deluxe edition and while it wasn't cheap it was the best price I've ever seen.i love everything by them but "BREAKFAST" is my favorite studio album by them....."LIVE,PARIS" is such am amazing live album too!!

Nightfly68, negative1 and MortSahlFan like this.
  9. MortSahlFan

I'll also add one thing about artistic integrity... I really wish Roger would have never sold his songs (which he re-did on his own) to commercials here on TV in the US... For those outside of the US, do you ever hear his songs on commercials or other advertising mediums? I could see if you're really broke, but Roger doesn't seem to be the reckless type, and I just don't know why they'd do it... After the first 50 or 100 million, does another $500,000 make much of a difference? I think it does artistically, and I believe it costs more, especially in the hearts and minds of the fans who believed what they heard lyrically.

(from Roger's home page)

ROGER & RICK - THE SONGWRITERS AND THEIR AGREEMENT

Roger again emphasized that he is happy for Rick to be playing live again but the pair had an agreement that Rick would get the name Supertramp and Roger would get his songs. “I feel good about Rick going out,” he said. “What I don’t feel good about is about him breaking an agreement that we had. To tell you the truth Paul, I would never have handed over Supertramp, I am not that much of a fool, to just hand over something I had put 14 years of my life into to Rick for nothing. I really was the driving force in that band for 14 years. I remember very clearly the only thing I cared about when I gave Rick the name was that I would leave with my songs and my voice in tact. That would be my security. For him, his security would be the name, obviously”.

Unfortunately for Roger, that agreement was never in writing. “That was where I did not have a good attorney. No, it was not in writing,” he admits. “It was a handshake where we looked each other in the eye. I had been with Rick for 14 years. I thought that I could trust him. The first tour he did, the ‘Brother Where You Bound’ tour, he didn’t play my songs. He honored the agreement. Then 5 or 7 years later that is when he started to, for whatever reason, play my songs. I felt very betrayed. That is part of the reason Dougie Thompson left the band. He felt it was really wrong”.

ARTISTIC INTEGRITY

· I feel that I need to speak up, not only for myself but for every artist that’s had someone claim credit for their creation. Anyone who knows me knows I am a very easy going guy, but I feel that I need to be a voice for artistic integrity, for the rights of songwriters & creators, for integrity in the music business, for honesty in advertising and for all my fans and the public who I don’t want to see misinformed.

· Staying true to one’s heart is sometimes difficult to do in the music business. I always strived to be true to myself. I’ve always written all my own songs. I’m a lyricist, I compose all my own music, I perform and play all my own musical instruments. I believe in my songs and I sing them from a place deep inside me and that is what fans experience at my shows.

Roger has never performed any of Rick’s songs. In fact at the recent Melbourne show he even made a point of telling the audience that he would only be singing his own songs “so don’t request Bloody Well Right”. “I wouldn’t dream of playing Rick’s songs,” he says. “Even if I only had a couple of hits, it would be totally wrong. It would make me into a cover band. It just wouldn’t be right”.

EXCLUSIVE: Roger Hodgson Explains His Reaction To Supertramp Tour

by Paul Cashmere - April 25 2010

A FEW SPECIAL REUNION SHOWS

Hodgson is calling on Davies to reconsider the tour. “Roger thought he could join Supertramp for a few special concerts when he doesn’t have any scheduled shows, as a way to really give to the fans what they have been wanting for so long – to have him rejoin Supertramp,” the statement reads. “So, we suggested this to Rick and Sue Davies’ agent, but he told us adamantly that would “never happen,” that Rick and Sue didn’t want that and would refuse any such collaboration. He also said that Supertramp would have nothing to gain from Roger performing with them and that the only person that would benefit would be Roger. Of course, we disagree. We think both Supertramp and Roger would benefit, and of course who we would want to benefit the most would be the fans. In fact, the main reason Roger would want to do it is because he knows how much the fans would love to see him and Supertramp back together again. He wishes that Rick and Sue for the fans' sake would be cooperative for even a few special concerts”.

Source: Supertramp To Tour Without Asking Roger Hodgson Along

by Paul Cashmere - April 20 2010

“When I heard he was touring and I knew that even if he did ask me there was no way I could be on this tour because I have my own toured planned and I can’t go cancelling shows that are already on sale. I thought because so many fans were asking me “why aren’t you with Supertramp” for their sake I did reach out to Rick’s agent to say “the fans would love it if Roger joined Rick on stage, maybe in a few cities”. That would just make fans who wanted to see it for decades really happy. Unfortunately the reaction really stunned me because he said “that’s never going to happen. That would not benefit Supertramp, that would only benefit Roger Hodgson”. Basically, I was only doing it because the fans would love to see it and make it as last chance for the two of us to do something like this and make the fans happy. It is sad that two people can’t get it together. Music is supposed to bring people together”.

Source: EXCLUSIVE: Roger Hodgson Explains His Reaction To Supertramp Tour

· Last summer Rick and I talked about working together again, but it was never about a 40th anniversary tour - a true reunion with the complete band. And there were no talks that included the classic line up. As soon as I heard the Rick announce his 40th anniversary tour with the rest of the band, I wrote to him and asked if it was true, and I never received a reply, and still haven’t to this day. Rick & Sue might want to give the impression they really tried so all the requests for me will die down, since it seems impossible. But it is possible. I want the fans to know it is because of them I have offered, and the offer is still on the table. I enjoy the way I’m performing my music now more than ever, yet I know how much the fans have been wanting to see me on stage with Supertramp again. This will probably be the last chance it could happen, and I just feel the fans deserve it.

· A lot of you have been writing and asking – why doesn’t Roger rejoin Supertramp for the tour or at least for a few shows? We had that same idea. Roger thought he could join Supertramp for a few special concerts when he doesn’t have any scheduled shows, as a way to really give to the fans what they have been wanting for so long – to have him rejoin Supertramp. So, we suggested this to Rick and Sue Davies’ agent, but he told us adamantly that would “never happen,” that Rick and Sue didn’t want that and would refuse any such collaboration. He also said that Supertramp would have nothing to gain from Roger performing with them and that the only person that would benefit would be Roger. Of course, we disagree. We think both Supertramp and Roger would benefit, and of course who we would want to benefit the most would be the fans. In fact, the main reason Roger would want to do it is because he knows how much the fans would love to see him and Supertramp back together again. He wishes that Rick and Sue for the fans' sake would be cooperative for even a few special concerts.

SIMULTANEOUS ROGER HODGSON & SUPERTRAMP TOURS

· Since both Roger Hodgson and Supertramp are touring this year we want to help dispel any confusion and avoid misleading the public. Some people do not know that it is Roger’s distinctive voice they hear on most of the classic hits such as ‘The Logical Song’, ‘Breakfast in America’, ‘Dreamer’, ‘It’s Raining Again’ and ‘Give a Little Bit’. To hear those songs sung by their original singer song-writer they would need to come to a Roger Hodgson concert, not a Supertramp show. Quite a few fans have told us they heard it announced on the radio that Roger will be a part of the Supertramp tour, which is not true.

· For those who are familiar with the different sounds of Supertramp, Rick and Roger are two very different artists – two songwriters with two very distinctive styles of music. And the silver lining in all of this is this year you’ll have the opportunity to see both! If you want to hear the legendary voice and classical pop rock of songs like The Logical Song, Dreamer or Give a Little Bit you can come see Roger at one of his shows. And if you want the legendary voice and more jazzy blues sound of Rick’s songs like Bloody Well Right, Goodbye Stranger or Rudy you can have that, too.

SUPERTRAMP TOUR ADVERTISING

Roger’s main problem with the Rick Davies’ Supertramp tour is that Supertramp are advertising the tour using his songs and he says that he had an agreement with Rick that Supertramp would not perform those songs. In fact, Roger doesn't have an issue with Rick performing as Supertramp. He just has an issue with his songs being played. “To tell the truth if Rick was going out as Supertramp and just doing his music I’d be incredibly happy. I am a big fan of Rick’s… but it is the way it has come down and the way he is advertising the tour that is not right”.

“I stayed silent the last few times. Not silent to Rick. I definitely told Rick how I felt about it but I stayed silent to the public. Because of that I have had 6 or 7 or 8 years touring really trying to reclaim my songs as Roger Hodgson songs which really is what they are. That is why I am out on a world tour and now we will be playing in the same countries as they are and I can’t stay silent on this one. For Supertramp or Rick to advertise this tour as a Greatest Hits tour and advertise it with my songs … I’ve seen ads mentioning ‘Dreamer’, ‘Give A Little Bit’ Logical Song’, ‘Breakfast In America’ … it is outrageous”.

· Many fans have written to Roger over the years saying that when Supertramp toured in the past some radio stations would play his songs to promote Supertramp's concerts. Since everyone recognizes Roger’s trademark voice but most don’t know its Roger singing, fans went to the concerts thinking they would be hearing Roger's voice, and were disappointed to find Roger was not there. We are trying to support both artists and the public to delineate between Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson’s songs and distinctive voices, especially since the Supertramp tour is being billed as an “anniversary tour”, and the public might mistakenly think that Roger will be rejoining them.

ROGER’S SHOWS

I think a lot of the magic and spirit that people think they would see at a Supertramp reunion they are actually getting at my shows now. I feel the reunion I am having is with my audience and it feels really good”.

Roger Hodgson has just completed the most amazing solo tour of Australia with a set of nearly completely Supertramp. He performed the songs he wrote and sung. Supertramp without his voice is just not Supertramp.

Supertramp To Tour Without Asking Roger Hodgson Along

by Paul Cashmere - April 20 2010

I love the connection that I have with audiences in smaller venues like that. That is part of the magic of the show because I love people and I love having fun with them as well as playing my songs”.

If you were ever a fan of Supertramp then attending a Roger Hodgson concert these days is as good as it gets and it gets good. Hodgson was a founding member of the band but left in 1983. As the principal songwriter of Supertramp and lead singer of the songs he wrote Hodgson solo sounds exactly like Supertramp which is a good thing.

Roger’s solo career was infrequent so his choice of songs to perform live falls almost entirely on his Supertramp career. The one new and unreleased song he did perform in this set was ‘The Awakening’. Roger Hodgson is also a funny, likeable guy often recounting the stories behind the songs before he sang them.

Just don’t ask him to sing songs he didn’t write. “I’m telling you now I didn’t write ‘Bloody Well Right’ so don’t yell out for it,” he told the crowd early in the show.

It was hardly needed. The Roger Hodgson setlist reads like a history of music at a point of time starting with the ‘Breakfast In America’ track ‘Take The Song Way Home’ and ending with the pop hit ‘It’s Raining Again’.

Ryan Lux, Pianoman99 and SinnerSaint like this.
  10. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I love Crisis and Crime. The songcraft is impressive

11. Was thrilled by the release of "Crime of the Century" [had US non-laminated LP about '75-ish] & subsequently on ceedee. Getting to listen to the album all the way through w/o flipping wax was great. The AM+ is one of my all-time fave early ceedees; although have to admit the UD(I) MFSL gold disc does best it w/a more 'open' soothing sound [very dynamic IMO]. Have both, the AM+ was very cheap & the MFSL is worth it's weight in gold [pun intended/IMO]. CD-R of the MFSL makes for great travelin' tunes!

12. Pianoman99

I don't think Roger plays anything on it. I can imagine him doing a demo guide vocal that was erased. But I guess we'll never know for sure.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  13. MortSahlFan

Right, I agree.. I'm just wondering if he contributed a little before it was done in the studio. Roger did say the song was about 4 minutes shorter.

I also think it was considered on "Famous Last Words" but that it didn't fit.. Roger says in an interview that he didn't want "It's Raining Again" on the album, because it didn't fit.

Pianoman99 likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

riskylogic and Left Hand like this.
  15. MortSahlFan

That's just albums. I'd like EVERYTHING to be discussed. Personalities, interviews, live shows, latest news, discussions about dynamics in the band, whatever..

Spinone, Left Hand and Strat-Mangler like this.
  16. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

You might notice that the two songs you "never liked" on this album which you "love" are the only two songs on the album with titles in blue, meaning they have their own Wikipedia entries.
    If you think about that, that pretty much puts you in almost direct opposition to the, shall we say, "popular" perception of the album. Does this mean anything to you at all?
    "It's Raining Again" is one of my favorite songs by anybody, and the closing sax solo is my favorite sax solo of all time. So I somehow turned off to the whole thread with your "Never liked this song, never will". I was initially enthused by the thread, especially since I consider one of Supertramp's songs (not "Raining") to be the best song ever written, but I no longer feel any impetus to get involved or state my case. It's like we're matter and anti-matter, and trying to occupy the same space wouldn't be productive for anyone.
    I respect your opinion and your right to have one. This just isn't a place for me.

17. MortSahlFan

Wikipedia doesn't have an influence over what I like... I like what I like.

18. souldeep69

Wikipedia is not an influence. It's a reflection.
    But thanks for not just reinforcing my feeling that we shouldn't be occupying the same space, but plating it with gold.

19. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Having a Wikipedia article means notability. Usually, only songs that get released as singles and are somewhat successful get a separate entry. (The Beatles and Pink Floyd are exceptions to that rule.) It's not based in opinion or quality.

Just because something is popular and successful, doesn't automatically mean one has to like it. Would you talk to someone the same way who says "I don't like 'Barbie Girl' or 'Gangnam Style'"?

I agree with @MortSahlFan that those two songs that were singles are not among the band's best songs, as they feel pretty lightweight compared to earlier stuff as well as some other songs on the album. "It's Raining Again" almost single-handedly ruined the band's reputation among the prog community, so that many probably didn't even listen when both Roger and his ex-band came up with some strong, complex music on their respective first albums after the split.

20. souldeep69

:laughup::unhunh::biglaugh:

Svetonio and ihog like this.
  21. JulesRules

Well, it's nice that you're amused. Any arguments? It's an opinion I've read on several different prog sites. Checking out the reviews on progarchives.com, some like it, but then there are also reviews like this:
    It's definitely a divisive song. And you have to consider the context: Breakfast in America was seen by some as a sell-out (I know some on this very forum), but it contained some of the most sophisticated pop music since The Beatles - while "Gone Hollywood" and "Child of Vision" both underline that they were still capable of dynamic, dramatic prog. Then you have Paris, a bombastic live album that actually eschews "Goodbye Stranger" and "Give a Little Bit" for "Asylum" and "Fool's Overture".

Following this, two years later, Supertramp return with this single that, among other things, lacks all the rhythmic intricacies of all their earlier Hodgson songs... I can imagine the disappointment, even if the album released some months later turned out to be overall more in line with the band's previous works. When we did the album by album thread, I thought Roger should've kept the song for his first solo album, as it would've easily been his most successful solo single.

RickH and MortSahlFan like this.
  22. MortSahlFan

I love "Breakfast in America" the album, and the song (which was the first song I ever heard by them). I just never liked "Dreamer", "Bloody Well Right", or "It's Raining Again" and maybe two others. Still my 3rd favorite band ever.

JulesRules likes this.
  23. JulesRules

I take offense at "Bloody Well Right"! :waiting: That is (supposedly) Supertramp's most played song for a reason...

Floatupstream likes this.
  24. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I find it rather funny that anyone would consider Supertramp to be "Prog" in the first place. I love a lot of what is considered "progressive rock" but for prog fans to feel like they have some kind of ownership over any band (much less Supertramp) is laughable.
    Sure, maybe Crime and Crisis (and "fool's Overture") appealed to people into longer-form, more conceptual music, but...really...

I'm a massive fan of the 74-79 period, and I do like a lot of Famous Last Words as well....

CrawdaddySim1, Rojo, Spinone and 3 others like this.
  25. Br. Scott

Br. Scott Well-Known Member

Thank you for this thread, I will have to listen for that insight!

MortSahlFan and JulesRules like this.