The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

OK - my copy has 1 disc in a polylined bag with Made in England, British Patent No and "Plastic Bags Can Be Dangerous" text box (all on one side), but the other disc is in a plain white non-lined inner (possibly non-original) if that helps!

2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I think the entire first half of the song sounds like a newer recording and the second half is from 1975 with some embellishments. There is recent Dave all over it, so it's a stretch to call it a song from 1975. It has some nice moments, but overall it's not really to my taste. I don't care for the guitar sound on the first half. It has an Ovation quality with plenty of reverb on top. I know Ray has been known to play an Ovation from time to time and it kind of bothers me. His vocal is nice throughout and is a good mix of old and new. The second half has him sounding a bit like Peter Frampton.

3. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that pre-Kinks, Ray played some ska with the Dave Hunt Band. Where I read that, I don't recall.

4. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Since Preservation Act II was a long slog, I had to revisit it today to re-familiarize myself with all the songs. I came up with a "report card".
    The songs that received highest marks:
    Scum of the Earth
    Mirror of Love
    Flash's Confession
    Nothing Last Forever
    Artificial Man
    Scrapheap City

Songs that receive the lowest marks:
    Intro to a Solution
    Money Talks
    Nobody Gives
    Flash's Dream the Final Elbow

Surprisingly side 4 of this tale received the highest marks from me overall making it the winning side. :D

Even though I had trouble with the plot/story of this album, I think overall there's a lot of good/great songs on it. I think Ray bit off more than he could chew with this musical. It's too bad he rushed this out instead of being more methodical. But still give him major kudos for being so bold. Ray's got a set of balls on him and I respect that.

5. El_diabl0

El_diabl0 Forum Resident

I must say this exercise in Preservation 1 and 2 have given me a much more profound appreciation for both albums. Though I feel neither bests anything from the golden era of the Kinks, I now believe they belong right alongside the best in the same way GHS and IORR are worthwhile successors to the Stones golden era without being part of it. I didn't think that before this thread. I really appreciate OP and everyone who so thoughtfully contributes to this effort.

6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

As most have said, the first half of Web of Time is pretty good and has the potential to be great, but then we go to rocking, screeching Dave, and the song becomes much less enjoyable. But it's still probably the best of the Decade songs so far.

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Uh oh

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

lol ... there are some pretty good tracks, but we need to remember that these are essentially demo's.
    Dave was pretty quiet in the seventies, and I think a lot of the excitement this seemed to generate when it came out was based on the fact that Dave had done so few songs in the seventies after some very promising late sixties songs.

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Re: Preservation Act 2 UK Inner Bags

Thanks, i am guesstimating also that your theory is correct on what is original and what is not.

ARL, markelis, DISKOJOE and 1 other person like this.
  10. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

He must have been saving something up though, because starting in 1980, he dropped three solo albums in four years.

11. mark winstanley

Dave's journey is really unusual.

We have a sudden explosion of writing in the late sixties..... somewhat more forced than it needed to be. The possibility of a solo album, that put more pressure on him than he wanted.

We have a song here and there in the seventies (until the Decade demos were released) suggesting that the late sixties smashed his confidence.

Then when we hit the eighties it seems like he either got his confidence back.... from somewhere..... felt he really had something to say.... or just said f... it and started making his own stuff again.

It's quite a peculiar path in many ways.

12. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I believe I liked "If You Are Leaving" the most of the Dave Decade tracks we have covered so far. How many have we covered? What is the next one for tomorrow?

13. All Down The Line

Thanks to @mark winstanley & @ARL I took the plunge for $35!

[​IMG]

Mark you are costing me man, 15 more Kinks lps since this thread started!

14. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

If You Are Leaving: I love Dave. I love his guitar work, and I love his songs when he pops up a time or two per kink’s album. This song does nothing for me.

15. mark winstanley

My favourite so far.

I think there are about 5 more tracks? from 77, off the top of my head at least.

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

17. mark winstanley

It has been established, that I am a mean evil little man :)

18. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It's Mark 'Mr Black' Winstanley!

side3, markelis, The late man and 7 others like this.
  19. All Down The Line

But could you be described as Flash or is it a more Black & white issue?

20. mark winstanley

Nahhhh, just typical insecurities and self doubts, that manifest as a sharp tongue really. Nothing along the lines of sociopathic killer or narcissistic overlord or anything like that :)

21. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

22. All Down The Line

Preservation

Ok i am way behind and have just heard this.
    A bit more Wishing Well than Purple Haze but I won't argue over that either way.
    Not a bad song written to order and I do enjoy it when Dave is given his head and is "Free" on guitar!

23. All Down The Line

Well as far as the riff goes could we politely say that on Ray's part it was a preservation act?

24. All Down The Line

Seriously?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It's true. Damn shame it never happened (well, assuming the movie would have been good I guess: but even if not, it would have at least brought those songs to a wider audience that they deserve)

Kinks Movie For Bobcat Goldthwait