The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. macster

macster Forum Resident

The usual; check the display for burnt out segments, wind/rewind speeds should be close to spec. Ask him if he has a cover for the tape well ($50-$100.00 yup). FYI, the output "Line output is .775V" on these is lower than what most of my other decks. Which translates into you having to turn the volume up on your preamp.

Got a 440A gathering dust. :sigh:

M~

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  2. harby

harby Forum Resident

Interesting quote about the difference between this 1975 deck and the Tandberg TDC-300: "Added was an auto-adjustable input amp which maintains dynamic range and keeps noise low whatever the source recorded : line, microphone or radio." Quiet because they added their own noise reduction/input boost?

Speed tolerance is +/- 1%, while wow is rated 0.2%. (a Sony TC-KA3ES? 0.04%; JVC TD-V662: 0.035%)
    3% distortion at 0dB. 40 - 14,000 Hz ±3 dB

It uses a capstan belt over a foot long which has a very convoluted path to the motor.

[​IMG]

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not recommended nor consistent. And from the railroad prone era. Older SA pre 1988 much better, or Maxell XL II.

4. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

$
    I think they want 15 for 1-SA not even sax.
    Oh by the way... The new NAC 799 type II (cobalt Dec. 2021) records very well.. But I haven't tried durability yet. Never the less it 40 bucks per 10-60mins...

5. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

$4.07 per high-bias cassette is not bad, considering you're talking in terms of the quickly shrinking 2022 US dollar - provided of course it's tape that rivals the old TDK SA. Unfortunately it's only C-60 length, not C-90.

6. Classic Car Guy

The c-60 can be a con in the deal . But the reality is, where are we gonna go? I'm all in to support these guys and it doesn't really take that much for NAC to start making a 90 minute tape if we get this wheel running...
    Nothing personal to anyone but I will rather give my money to the NAC than a one time deal flipper crusader.

OhHiMahk and macster like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Type II SD was good tape, as was Maxell UD II, as some nice alternatives.

jusbe likes this.
  8. Classic Car Guy

He responded about an hour and sounded mad. For I was on it the whole day. He said he's not gonna be dictated by a pencil neck like me.... :nauga:
    I'm gonna have to wait till Wednesday in his own time...:confused:

9. macster

macster Forum Resident

Sounds like the "pencil neck" needs to do a pass.

M~

10. Classic Car Guy

More likely 2 things are coming me. Its either a jack in the box or pandoras... Id say forget it.
    [​IMG]

11. harby

harby Forum Resident

Asking questions about how you can test the gear there - that you'll bring your own source and meter and checklist to ensure it's working right - is the best way to save yourself a trip when the scammer that knows it's broken calls it off.

macster likes this.
  12. macster

macster Forum Resident

Well at the least put it thru the paces for at least 10 minutes. Put a tape in and let her roll and do the precursory listening tests. If it moves, the display is good and it at least plays it is (IMHO) worth $600-$700. I purchased two for around $6oo and was blessed with various problems which Jack sorted for around $350 each not including shipping both ways at ~$120.00. ea. So I have roughly $2140, plus $50.00 each for 2 covers for roughly $2240.00 into those decks. Plus I changed out the display bulbs on one of them. But they were worth it as they are very neutral sounding decks. I'm going to put them in play rotation this week.

M~

13. macster

macster Forum Resident

Man I dunno, sounds like a guy to avoid being around at all costs.

M~

14. Classic Car Guy

That sounds great.. I never own one before but I saw the inside and a typical cassette deck that's a very easy to work on when it comes to resurrection. The sections are separates so that's a cool thing. plus you have a friend we can send it to. Ill keep and eye for another one. Thanks,,,

macster likes this.
  15. perryinva

perryinva Forum Resident

I didn’t think you were looking at a B215 as a possibility, based on your original criteria. I just sold one, fully 100% recapped, new pressure rollers (a MUST on the B215, as the original rubber falls apart) new bulbs, included cover, plus upgrade of the audio path opamps to NE5532 from the original 4558s, and replacement if all the original cmos switches (4051, 4052, and 4053) with new lower distortion & resistance HC versions. The 4066 stayed in until I finish working with a THer where we are putting in micro relays. He already has a set for the Dragon, works very nice. Of course total disassembly if the transport with lubrication and contact cleaning. The reel motors as Macster mentioned are key. Newer units have ball bearings vs the original sintered bronze bearing. There is an easy test for wear, but just as important, the original tabs on the motors are silver plated, so turn black with age and the oxide builds up considerably, and has to be cleaned off. Sold it to a TH customer for $1300.

jusbe likes this.
  16. Classic Car Guy

It was almost a deal till the tide changes. It would be nice thou. Ill keep an eye again... Thanks..Great to hear from you.
    By the way. There is someone that wants to get in touch with you.. a member her that needs to get his deck fixed.
    Nakamichi Dragon- Wow!

17. perryinva

perryinva Forum Resident

After you told me the 682 was a bust I figured we were back on a wait and see status.

18. macster

macster Forum Resident

Damn

That's a steal.

M~

19. Classic Car Guy

I know.. :faint:

Hey Perry. I'm still watching closely on the 682 or ZX7.. I posted an ad in my area. The very first nakamichi bx-300 I got was on only 2 blocks away from my house. So those kind of people lives here. With the my present aggressiveness of looking for this deck, who knows that it will show up anytime soon.
    PS. The last 682 deal that I had. didn't turn out right. I'll send you guys a PM about it...

I just got back the donation place to drop off some food. Now I gotta finish some of my home cooking and half day work so I can get back to recording again. I have a few reels that I wanna transfer to cassettes...see you guys.:wave:

20. Classic Car Guy

One of my decks that I need to play once in a while. I haven't run this close to a year..

[​IMG]

HiFi Guy and clhboa like this.
  21. Classic Car Guy

Hi John. How are yah? Your friend CCG....:-popcorn:

anorak2 likes this.
  22. macster

macster Forum Resident

Play it or lose it.
    You know how it goes. I have a routine, in that I play everything (not listen) once a week and put the CR7 manual azimuth adjustment through it's paces. Move all knobs and buttons on all decks once a month. It's a chore, but such is the cost of greed.

:agree:

M~

kevinsinnott and jusbe like this.
  23. Classic Car Guy

:laughup:
    Actually true.. the split-shaft record level potentiometer is semi frozen. I have to open, soak it with electronics cleaner. took 25 minutes to do just that job...

macster likes this.
  24. Classic Car Guy

25. macster

macster Forum Resident

I'm sitting here, beat as hell from scraping up all the carpet padding glue from the floor in my audio room and listening to the Tascam 122MKIII and seriously wondering why you would need anything more. I'm playing a tape made on a NAK 681ZX from 1986 and it's rocking something fierce.
    [​IMG]
    If anyone is considering removing carpet from your house you may be surprised at the amount of debris that is underneath it. I thought carpet cleaning sucked all of that stuff up.

What a pain.

M~