The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Nope. If it ever was, I'm sure it was removed by the Kinks.

2. Wondergirl

eh?

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

A Marvin Gaye album about his divorce.

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  4. Wondergirl

Meant to post this during Preservation. From Billboard magazine:
    [​IMG]

5. Wondergirl

Thank you! :D

6. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

What happened is that when Marvin divorced his wife, who was Berry Gordy's sister incidentally, one of the stipulations in the settlement was that all the proceeds from Marvin's next album go to her. At first, Marvin just wanted to do a quickie, half a**ed job, but then decided to make the album based on their marriage/divorce. Here My Dear was the result.

7. Wondergirl

Some pics from live Soap Opera
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wondergirl

Interesting. Did it turn out to be any good?

9. DISKOJOE

It's a minor classic of Marvin's

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I just searched. Listen to first minute…and it’s literally a message to his ex-wife. A bit TMI for me!

11. All Down The Line

Yes you are correct and I think it sold better than he thought it would and given some years his ex wife could actually appreciate some of the work!

12. DISKOJOE

RCA was really playing up ye Old Englishness w/this ad. This was pre computer, so the lettering probably took some time. Also, "....with the animalism of the Boston Strangler at a lingerie counter....", seems a bit tasteless. Alas & alack, too bad these albums did not "ring thy registers of cash."

13. Wondergirl

Yeah, the copy is a bit strange, but I do like the look of it.

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

It’s good to see you here, and - thanks for letting us know all this!

Dave is easily accessible on Twitter, wonder if it’s worth our asking him politely about it…. But wouldn’t want to do so if you thought it a bad idea!

15. All Down The Line

Staples and Davis?

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. All Down The Line

What's going on in the 3rd picture?

17. Wondergirl

LOL. I think Ray was trying to be...suggestive! naughty boy.

18. gedgers

gedgers Forum Resident

So Dave isn't really the issue. Either were Sting, Paul Weller, etc... They all granted permission which didn't mean I got the licensing for free. It meant I then could negotiate to pay the licensing costs. Ray is really the only reason we could not put it out. I'm not sure it's worth bugging him. Again, I offered to put it up for streaming for free - no financial benefit for me - when Covid struck and there seemed to be no interest on his part. It's hard to know why he feels this way but it could be the same reason I started making that documentary in 2008. There was no Kinks doc and there should have been, in my mind, and so I originally wanted to make a traditional rock doc about a band I loved. It became something else as the story progressed.

19. gedgers

gedgers Forum Resident

It could be broadcast on the BBC or PBS anytime. The issue is that I don't think there's interest from either party at this point. You can certainly write your local stations and ask for the film. I would be fine letting it be broadcast and the same issues with permission would apply: Compulsory licensing would allow us to share it. OH, and feel free to write me at [email protected] I might have 312 posters still in my attic!

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yes

21. Wondergirl

Sometimes the Boston PBS stations plays some unexpected things, so maybe an email to them couldn't hurt.

But thanks for making the film. I just love that you followed your bliss. Most of us are too afraid to.

Will drop you an email soon.

22. DISKOJOE

I did see the recent documentary about WBCN on 'GBH's sub station World, so that could be a possibility.

23. DISKOJOE

Ray was getting ready for bed. Notice that he needed roadies despite wanting to be "like the Ordinary People". Probably that's the only way he could hang on the mic to sing & undress at the same time. I think that both Preservation & Soap Opera stage shows would have benefited from the improved technology we have these days.

24. DISKOJOE

You did fine, Geoff. I wished you asked me to sing a Kinks song. I would have done a killer version of "Hot Potatoes". Also, when you interviewed one of the Zane brothers, I noticed a picture of my friend Barrence in the background.

25. Wondergirl

Saw that doc as well (in fact it may still be on my DVR because we wanted to show it to someone)! Will have to investigate who to contact about requests. Not today though. :)