Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I've been filling in some gaps in the region 1 original series and I got new from the BBC, Planet Of Fire (2-disc), Silver Nemesis and Battlefield (2-disc) still sealed, nicely printed sleeve (albeit with the different DVD lettering) and DVD-Rs inside. It has been awhile since I ordered new, and two of these I know would've cost more second-hand, but these were not cheap either, $25/$35 per set.

I have a region 2 player, but I started on the region 1 Whos before then so have kept with those editions rather than mix them up (although I have the two '60s movies on a region 2 set). Before these new BBC purchases I'd only found the Warner Archives series to be DVD-Rs. I have had purple DVD-Rs eventually no longer play but hopefully these are not as likely to have that issue... still not totally thrilled to discover this is what you get now.

2. The Chase was one situation where the US being a few months behind hurt. It was fandom that raised the question of the ‘legality’ of including the Beatles clip and it was removed out of caution, not of any specific threat from Apple lawyers. If fandom had kept their mouth shut it would have been included.

I asked Steve Roberts if it would be possible to restore the Pertwee 1st gen NTSC tapes for the discs used in the US but he said the budget simply wasn’t there to do so. Arguably that version would have the best picture as the following PAL conversions from which they based the restorations were a generation down.

longdist01 and indigovic like this.
  3. beccabear67

There's quite a hidden feature on the BBC and PAL to NTSC (and vice-versa and back again) on disc 1 from the Claws Of Axos 2-disc set, goes into a lot of detail and history. Watching it again I was sort of excited where Doomwatch is mentioned as having been taken from 625/50 to 525/60 and sent to Canada and the U.S. as there are many Doomwatch episodes missing. Would be nice if tape boxes containing some would surface like they did for these Axos episodes.

longdist01 and Shawn like this.
  4. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Hopefully, they ask when they’re prepping the Blu-ray release… and when they do, remind them that particular Beatles clip has only survived because it was included in that Doctor Who episode! (At least, I think that’s true…)

I can’t blame them at all for that. The good news is that it matters a whole lot less for Blu-ray: all versions should be able to reproduce the best existing master with maximum fidelity.

longdist01, Shawn and Dillydipper like this.
  5. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Hard to say. If they can get Hendrix approved for Region 2, not all hope is lost. The scene from "Evil" was arguably not critical enough to get license approvals for, as it was just background music in a cafe. The scene from "The Chase" is a little more integral and takes up a good minute of screen time (including the dialogue both before and after the clip)... and is more historically interesting. We will have to wait and see.

I'm not throwing out my Chase DVD until I know for certain. (Well, I never throw anything away. :D)

6. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

That seems odd they can clear music rights for one region but not another, especially for a brief clip, but oh well.

Curveboy and longdist01 like this.
  7. beccabear67

Further to the Beeb recognizing fans; there was also a short featurette on those who audio taped Who off air on the Troughton 'The Invasion' set. I ran across it trying to find that Pebble Mill interview with Mr. Troughton (watched him last night in an episode of A Family At War in which he has been excellent in the three episodes he was in that I've seen so far).

Shawn and longdist01 like this.
  8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Yes, that's a nice little segment about fan taping. I'm sure it was members of the restoration team (who are fans) who pitched the idea of that featurette. The BBC probably had little input in it, other than trusting the team to know what fans wanted to see.

beccabear67 and longdist01 like this.
  9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

How can you call yourself the Trashman if you never throw anything away?

10. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Because he collects trash.

11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The latest rumor is that there are quite a few missing episodes located in the middle east. At least 2 of which are from Marco Polo. We shall see...

12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Can a gort put "Missing" back in the title of this thread?

13. indigovic

It’s absolute nonsense. The poster talks about serials going to countries they were never sold to, talks about digital files that would have to have been made by people who never had any reason to spend the time and money to do so… there’s hardly a single sentence in his claim that doesn’t have a gaping hole in it.

On the missing episodes forum, Paul Vanezis moved the discussion thread someone started about it to the moderators-only area, which I believe he only does for the most rubbishy of rubbishy rumors.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Shawn and longdist01 like this.
  14. beccabear67

Who wouldn't like to believe... I've read the joy of the big complete 'Tomb' discovery... but I'm thinking we're well into the age of a few extra seconds here and there scrounging at best. :sigh:

If people do want more William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton though... Hartnell was excellent in a pre-Who 'Ghost Squad' episode, while Troughton is superb in multiple episodes of 'A Family At War' just after Who, all on DVD (you also get multiple Roger Delgado appearances in 'Ghost Squad', and Anderson fans, you get bonus Wanda Ventham in 'A Family At War'). :cool:

Shawn, longdist01 and Andy Smith like this.
  15. citizensmurf

Hard to know. Possible that with the eventual passing of some collectors who refused to share, their estate will want to get these things out. As for copies in other countries, there is always hope.

longdist01, sunspot42 and beccabear67 like this.
  16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

While I agree the chances are remote, I wouldn't write it off as complete nonsense just yet.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. citizensmurf

One question I can't find the info for regarding film inserts. There are apparently several film segments of various Classic DW episodes which have ended up in the hands of collectors. Is there a list of what has yet to be scanned to HD by the BBC, and have some of the blu rays had these segments released with only having the old SD scans?

18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

If there's factual information about Missing episodes it will be announced at some point. Whether a few Collectors finally allow the film cans of their stash to be confirmed by proper parties who have followed the trail back and forth....it's a remote possibility something is out there and if for sure Middle East countries have not been looked over enough it may reveal some news. Or not?

19. indigovic

The best page I know of that covers that at all is Doctor Who in the BBC Archives, but that was from 1998.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    citizensmurf and longdist01 like this.
  20. beccabear67

Maybe it was all there when the Afghan Film Organization archive was burnt by Taliban in Kabul of the 1990s?

longdist01 and unclefred like this.
  21. I think it would be hilarious if some country like Iran had a couple missing episodes and broadcast them.

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. indigovic

The only known sale of any missing episodes to any Middle East country was “Marco Polo” to Aden in 1965, and those prints were almost certainly sent on to Africa in 1966.

23. citizensmurf

From what I've read, none of the episodes that were found were expected to be where they were, so who knows where the next find may be.

Simon A and longdist01 like this.
  24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It's a miracle we have recovered as much as we have.

longdist01, Andy Smith and Curveboy like this.
  25. citizensmurf

Meng, longdist01 and Curveboy like this.