Portable turntable... The "Sound Burger" by Audio-Technica

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dogpile, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner. Thread Starter

The "Sound Burger" AT-727. Call it the Walkman of turntables. Plays 33/45 rpm, belt driven, runs on 3 "C" batteries, plug & play, very neat toy!!

Does anybody here own one?? http://www.vimeo.com/132736

Attached Files:

2. cosmosis

cosmosis New Member

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Don't have one but I've wanted one for years.

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

They're not uncommon, but expect to pay $200+ for a nice example. Anyone know the original retail? I'm guessing around $60.

The unit was sold in the UK as the 'Mister Disc'.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Very cool. I have not seen one of these.

6. jon_s

jon_s New Member

What I want to know is, what Guided by Voices song is that?

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They used to have these in the 70s and 80s. Nice to see them back. They would be very cool for checking out records in used record stores.

8. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Oh yes, that and the Bone Fone, two things I thought were cool back then.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Cool song, too!

10. oblique_parallax

oblique_parallax Forum Resident

"Pantherz," a bonus studio track on the live 2LP bootleg Jellyfish Reflector. It does not appear on the CD version. The record shown being played on the soundburger in the video is Nightwalker's In Shop We Build Electric Chairs and the video makes it look like the song is being played from that record for some reason.

A demo version of "Pantherz" is on the first Suitcase boxset.

11. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

Didn't Sony make one kind of like that too?

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I don't think these are coming back. Vinyl is now a high end format that people don't want to ruin by playing outdoors with cheap equipment.

IIRC, the "Soundburger" was introduced in 1984 (after the Walkman had become very popular) but has remained a curiosity, and is now a collectible. It is much smaller than previous portable turntables from the 70's.

13. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I remember seeing them in '83. StereoStereo magazine reviewed them I think in May '83 over here. Just the thing for mining the vinyl at fairs and checking the mixes before buying!

14. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I have never seen one of those before! Of course, I was just a kid when they were out. But am I the only one who thinks that is one of the coolest things?!!! :D

15. B-Diddy

B-Diddy Member

I like the Vinyl Killer Van. It's like a slot car for records! www.vinylkiller.net I used to have the Mighty Tiny when I was three. (see my pic to the left). I've been searching for one, but they're impossible to find.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

The Sound Burger sold for about $200. It also has a Audio-Technica magnetic cartridge tracking between 1.0 and 1.8 grams. The cartridge is the baby brother to the AT 440 ML. Nice performer.

17. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

All this time I thought your avatar was some sort of comic, farce retro artwork.

- Sushimaster

18. I think this is part of why they're so expensive now - I understand they're very popular for this reason among crate-diving DJs looking for new sounds.

19. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

Didn't Sony or Mitsubishi have a variation on this that used linear tracking rather than a straight tonearm? I seem to remember seeing it and that it could actually play the record at almost any angle, you could literally carry it with you while it played a la the Walkman...

-Aaron

20. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Sony certainly made the PS-F5. This was much the same shape and size as the SoundBurger/Msiter Disc and tracked parallel - no external arms, and it played horizontally or vertically.

The soundburger is definitely a good quality item with a cartridge that doesn't chew up records. I'm not so confident about the latest Numark and A-T low end turntables; things have gotten more nasty now that 'p-mount' is no longer seen as a standard...

21. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

22. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Anyone remember the Sharp VZ-2500?

Attached Files:

23. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Oh yes I do. Very popular over here in the early 80's as it gave you CD like convenience from your vinyl. My brother had one but I more in love with tubed amplifiers at the time so I passed on it.

24. nin

nin Forum Resident

I just won a new old-stock :D

25. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner. Thread Starter

Congrats :righton: Let us know how it plays!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.