Help me pick a pair of speakers in the 3-4k range

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bananas&blow, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Helom

Helom Forum member

120s have more authority, more effortless, otherwise they're similar.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I envy you. Who's on the roster ?

Bananas&blow likes this.
  3. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway Thread Starter

jonwoody likes this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

jonwoody and Bananas&blow like this.
  5. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Looks like fun! Though I know only 3 of the groups, I have stories for all 3.

jonwoody, timind and Bananas&blow like this.
  6. Bananas&blow

Come on down brotha. Supposed to be about 70 degree highs.

jonwoody and timind like this.
  7. Bananas&blow

Can't wait for the thread police to ticket me for talking about music in a speaker thread.

jonwoody likes this.
  8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Hopefully, they learned their lesson last time.

My daughters flying to LA Monday. Wrong daughter for that music though.

jonwoody and Bananas&blow like this.
  9. Ilusndweller

:cop:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Bananas&blow and jonwoody like this.
  10. CoryG85

CoryG85 Forum Resident

These messages make me happy! I vote Forte IV all day long. Though both the HIV and FIV are gorgeous mid-century modern speakers. Heresy's need a sub, Forte's really don't IMO. Though any speaker can benefit from a well-integrated sub, a lesson I've learned with my CWIVs.

Though tube amps aren't known for their bass, so maybe a sub will be needed regardless. I dunno I'm not a tube guy. Klipsch and Cary do have a good relationship.

11. CoryG85

CoryG85 Forum Resident

I've not heard a bad thing about these either. Though the Fortes will have better bass. Can't go wrong with either.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  12. Bananas&blow

Yeah I don't think you buy the KLH for details. You buy it for fun! And I'm a rocker at heart. So I can dig it. I've realized I like rolling speakers so maybe if I have a couple of speakers around it will satisfy my craving to buy something new. Either way hope I get them. Love the look of those classic loudspeakers. Maybe have an audiophile pair of speakers and the KLH's when I just want to rock.

jonwoody, avanti1960 and Djohm like this.
  13. Bananas&blow

Well, which 3????

14. Bananas&blow

Trying an old trick I read about taming the highs on Klipsch. Taped a Kleenex on the inside of the Grille. Trying two ply on one speaker and 1 ply on the other.

[​IMG]

15. Ilusndweller

Long Beach Dub Allstars - Met John Phillips who signed Sublime (who became Long Beach Dub Allstars) at a Medeski, Martin, and Wood show at the El Rey Theatre around 97. He wanted a copy of the Medeski show I had recorded so invited me to an after show party where he cloned me a copy of Sublime at the Metro (Chicago) on 4-20-96 from his master to trade for the Medeski show which he also cloned. 04.20.1996 - Sublime Wiki . Saw them a few times as well. He also let me know about the group Ozomatli who I then saw (and the kind soundman let me patch my dat into the SBD) a number times at their Wed. weekly gigs at The Dragonfly (same bar Chili Peppers got their start at, met Adam Duritz at one of the shows).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=llykehDEuY0

Wu Tang Clan- Ran into a few of them (I was biking) in a parking lot at a beach in I think Santa Monica (might have been Venice), hung out for a few...(around 97 as well).

Marleys- saw a few of them and Rita at a reggae festival in Malibu(probably 97 or 98). I had fried plantains for the first time, they were really good. And I actually made them for the first time a few months ago. Wait until they are mostly brown/black before frying (and cut onto thin slices).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    jonwoody, timind and Bananas&blow like this.
  16. Ilusndweller

17. Ilusndweller

18. Ilusndweller

Went through the list again, missed a few.

Slightly Stoopid. Though I have never seen this group, I used to see Karl Densons Tiny Universe a bunch (and Robert Walters 20th Congress, who my friend was tour manager for a while, they were both in The Greyboy Allstars). Here is Slightly Stoopid with Karl (and Phil:cool:).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  19. Ilusndweller

Shwayze and Cisco

20. Ilusndweller

Shaggy

Sean Paul - heard of him and have one of his albums, but I could not name a song he does. (Sorry Sean :agree:).

21. SHU

SHU Forum Resident

I like threads like this, meandering in all directions, just like real life convo.

jonwoody, Bananas&blow, Djohm and 2 others like this.
  22. Ilusndweller

I like to get technical at times but I also like to listen to tooonz! :uhhuh:

From HORDE festie (#334)

23. Camelouge

Camelouge Member

Snell speakers or ATC speakers.

24. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Ilusndweller likes this.