Sony- 65" Class BRAVIA XR A80J Series OLED 4K UHD Smart Google TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

They all have them, and in your estimation they are all exactly the same and a function of the panel only? Doesn't seem right to me.

Brett44 and marcb like this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

And your assumption is correct. It is not right.

marcb likes this.
  3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It was a similar situation with plasmas. Most of the big brands did not make their own and rebadged. It's not like this is an unprecedented or new development in electronics, regardless of video or audio. E.g., the Cambridge CA 650BD was basically a rebadged Oppo BD80 more than a decade ago. Yes there are minor differences that amount to cosmetic. It shouldn't be a semantic debate to be able to call it a rebadge, resulting in being attacked for basically calling it like it is.

Anyway, the Samsung/Sony news for '22 is a welcome development that will hopefull give LG some good competition. There is certainly room for improvement, particularly in handling of motion, which has to do with refresh rate capacity in the OLED technology I believe. But those new screens are not here yet.

4. audiomixer

Again, this Sony is not a rebadge. They have their own XR processor that provides a totally different picture experience compared to the LG.

Dave, Bill Mac, Alan G. and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Agreed. A lot of the way that HDR, Dolby Vision, and other enhanced or dynamic contrast and color modes operate (plus handling of frame and refresh rates, etc.) comes down to software and how it makes use of the panel's capabilities. I think this is evident even within the LG TV A1/C1/G1 lines with panels of the same size, let alone between different manufacturers.

Shawn, Bill Mac, marcb and 4 others like this.
  6. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

You might also want to read the comments section in this video:

7. audiomixer

...and your point is?
    If it's about security issues, you're posting this from a computer or a smart phone.
    That ship sailed a long, long time ago.
    If it's other issues, please post them.
    I'll be able to answer them.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Cambridge CA 650BD is not a rebadged Oppo 80 or 83. The DACS are different than those used in the Oppo 80 and 83.

A "rebadge" is when a company sells a component that's identical to another companies component. The differences are normally cosmetic with the same exact internal components. That is obviously not the case with CA 650BD. Anyone that is familiar Cambridge players know that the analog stages are different from Oppo players. Of course that doesn't apply to the Cambridge Audio CXUHD which did not have an analog stage or outputs.

9. Stereosound

That most people will be like you and not complain so they continue to get screwed over and annoyed. Granted they can’t completely secure it but they can do better and if you bothered to read the comments the about the ads I’m sure you’d agree most of us could do without them. If consumers don’t take the time to complain then it only gets worse. Some people don’t want others making money off of their data or may prefer more privacy about it at least.

10. audiomixer

FYI. I've never been "screwed over". But it sounds like you might have been at one point...

11. Stereosound

I’m usually annoyed at least. As for being screwed over some people may actually be in some form or another but it’s the bigger picture behind the scenes that you may not see or care about that is more of what I was getting at that other people may. I’m not trying to single you out. It’s big business getting away with too much is more of my point.

12. audiomixer

One doesn’t need to use the Google OS at all then. That’s an option.

13. Stereosound

Right but Sony does force it on you though if you want a Sony TV. At least on the A8H I saw being set up for the first time.

14. audiomixer

Sorry. You’re very wrong about
    this TV. One has a choice.

15. Stereosound

Yes to either use it or not. But you have to accept the terms of Google’s service before you can actually use the tv. They don’t give you a choice to opt out of that if you really want to go with the Sony over another manufacturer.

16. audiomixer

Again, not the case.

17. Stereosound

How so? The menu didn’t give the option.

18. audiomixer

It does. Do you actually own this TV?
    That’s a yes or no question.

19. Stereosound

I’m talking about the A8H are you talking about the A80J?

20. audiomixer

That’s what’s this thread is about, isn’t it?

21. Stereosound

Then we may both be correct. I haven’t seen the a80j.

22. audiomixer

I know I’m correct. I own it.

Alan G. likes this.
  23. Stereosound

So am I: 6:50 mark

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I stand corrected. The more I looked into the Oppo BDP-80 it does look very much like a rebadge or clone of the Cambridge CA 650BD. It appears that they both use the Cirrus Logic CS 4361 DAC. I should have looked closer at both players before posting. The internals and rear panel look pretty much the same.

25. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Maybe you should check this review out......https://hometheaterreview.com/cambridge-audio-azur-650bd-blu-rayuniversal-player-reviewed/

Here's an excerpt......

"I'm sure many of you are wondering if the Cambridge 650BD is simply a re-badged Oppo, which is the case for other manufacturers. I asked this question to Cambridge and was told straight up that it was not. In fact, I was told, "We (Cambridge) have zero, none, nada, zip relationship with Oppo." There are some common components however, as both use the Mediatec video processors as their cores; as does nearly every other Blu-ray player that offers SACD / DVD-Audio / Redbook CD. There are also differences such as higher quality casework, AC power supply implementation, different resistor and capacitor suppliers and a remote, which operates other Cambridge devices. Menu and rear panel configurations are identical; however as these are Mediatec elements. Hopefully this clears up any confusion on this somewhat confusing topic as the forum guys specifically make a big issue out of these topics."

Bill Mac likes this.