Help me pick a pair of speakers in the 3-4k range

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bananas&blow, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Exactly my thoughts on the Fives - Fun speakers. I intend to include these speakers for my set-it and forget-it system in the near future. I have the KLH Model Thirty Two in the bedroom paired with Marantz 1060, and we love the classic colored sound of that vintage setup.

I've enjoyed reading about your journey here. Keep on sharing!

jonwoody, CoryG85 and Bananas&blow like this.
  2. Helom

Helom Forum member

Ive seen some of those groups at various venues: Sublime w/ Rome, Iya Terra, Ries Brothers, Iration, Hirie, and Dirty Heads. Every show was a great time.

Ballyhoo is missing from that lineup surprisingly.

A friend's local band is highly inspired by that genre and amazing performers live:
    https://tidal.com/album/162532668

Bananas&blow likes this.
  3. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Ive seen Black Uhuru as well a few times. Reggae groups would usually play the extremely bassy/boomy Ventura Theater, good times. And been to a few Reggae Festivals at the Ramona Bowl as well. My fave reggae group to see? Burning Spear. One of my top 3 recordings is Burning Spear at the Galaxy Theater, Santa Ana 8-18-96. Just Radio Shack #33-3007 (their TOTL mid 90s mic, made by Shure, $99.95, powered by AA into a measly Sony TCD-D7 DAT)

Ramona Bowl Amphitheatre

Vintage Ramona Bowl Reggae Fest T Shirt 1996 Vtg XL Single Stitch | eBay

Now you have me missing Cali and all the music. All I pretty much did from 95-01 was tape concerts.

First song here is Ben Harper, UCSB 5-17-97, same Rat Shack setup as Burning Spear (my Oktava MC-012 were with some Brown EE grad student I met on dat-heads digest who drew up a circuit diagram and told me what resistor to swap out to do a bass mod, though I upgraded those to Schoeps CMXY-4V).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    jonwoody likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Dude you're a man of fine taste. Hella band. Can't get enough of them I did attend a Black Uhuru Concert at a theater in Miami in '97, close to Collins Av. What a blast. I started appreciating reggae even before metal and punk. Paradxically the first reggae artist to wash up on our shores was........Eddy Grant of all people ! Not exactly Jamaican, but was such a success on TV, the local TV station's record Label put out 2 of his most iconic Lps, which I still own and listen to regularly. The rest is history as they say. Weird, but one starts where one can, and that was my first exposure. Third World would follow, then Marley, Tosh; the obvious. Dancehall was my second reggae love, and I stop here for fear of boring the hell outta you. AND, I know, not the Music Corner.

5. Ilusndweller

Love Burning Spear! Best place to see a reggae show? The former (fairly small) Emerald City in Santa Barbara, which also where I first saw Cool Water Canyon. And Santa Barbara Bowl is a great place to see any concert.

Bootleg Collection - Best of CWC Live Vol. 1

So many great groups from Cali...

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. The Pinhead

A truly iconic place in the dreamiest state of the USA.

Ilusndweller likes this.
  7. Ilusndweller

Sorry for the thread hijack B&b. :D Have fun at the festie! (now back to speakers in the 3-4k range:uhhuh:). :goodie:

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Understood and I get it. For me though whenever I hear flaws in the sound it instantly becomes a distraction. Even at a concert. I saw Al Dimeola in concert a few months ago and both the sound and performance were unbelievable! It was so clean and clear, loud and dynamic. I just can't help but notice. Peace.

9. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I remember back in the 70's getting a "Nice Price" pressing of Elegant Gypsy, I wore that thing out.

Well, I found one in pristine condition at Goodwill the other day, played it after reading your post and rocking out (or maybe fusioning out) again. :)

jonwoody, bever70 and avanti1960 like this.
  10. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway Thread Starter

No worries. We've been off what speakers to buy for a good 6 pages now :winkgrin:.

11. Bananas&blow

Great bands. I haven't gotten into dancehall yet. Any albums you would recommend as a starting place? I've been digging Scratch Perry lately. Open the Gate is a fun dive off the deep end.

12. Bananas&blow

Interesting that you mention the "colored" sound of that Marantz 1060. Has it ever been recapped? I ask because I purchased a 2245 a few years ago and it definitely had a warm sound. But the bass was soft to say the least. I had it fully recapped and some other updates and when I got it back it was about as neutral as it could ever be. Wasn't warm at all. And I sold it because my Yamaha A-s801 sounded better, particularly on the bass response.

[​IMG]

13. Bananas&blow

Yeah it's why I love the listening threads the most. Music is the starting point, but it turns into a journey. What you are spinning right now tells a story. Your mood. Your interests.

timind, The Pinhead and SHU like this.
  14. SHU

SHU Forum Resident

True. And it provides inspiration for listening as well. Burning Spear now playing on my TT is because of this thread.

By the way, have you tried the Cary with your 803s? Maybe not the best pairing on paper, but who knows?

jonwoody, timind, GyroSE and 2 others like this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the glory days of fusion for sure. his recent concerts and music do not really fit into a specific genre. not fusion for certain and not really jazz or rock either- more like acoustic melodic improvisational interpretative. the Beatles titles were the hit of the show- A long amazing version of Norwegian Wood done on spanish electric guitar heavy on the fast lick improvisation with a mix of bongo and other percussion (two acoustic percussion players were also on stage) interspersed with the occasional melodic refrain- just incredible.

Gi54, jonwoody, Bananas&blow and 2 others like this.
  16. Bananas&blow

I'm impressed you have Burning Spear on vinyl. Tough find in San Diego. I have been tempted to hook up the 803's even though on paper its a ridiculous pairing. I'm just worried about over-working the amp and damaging either the amp or the speaker. Can you damage a tube amp by putting too difficult a speaker on it?

Ilusndweller likes this.
  17. Ilusndweller

San Diego - so you've probably seen Psydecar, Wise Monkey Orchestra, and Karl Densons Tiny Universe.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  18. Helom

Helom Forum member

No. It's the same as with SS, the risk is burning out the tweeter, followed by a woofer voice coil.

If the sound becomes compressed or strained, turn down the volume.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  19. Bananas&blow

I think I'm gaining a grasp on the Triangle Magellan Duettos. I've never had a component that was so polarizing. One recording I melt into the music in a blissful trance. The next recording I hate how forward and brash they are. If I was blindfolded I wouldn't believe you if you told me they were the same speaker. Last night I hated them. Today I put on the Chris Bellman cut of Tom Petty's "Highway Companion" and it sounded spectacular. Wonderfully balanced. Incredible vocals. Wonderful deep satisfying bass. They sounded better than my 803s (and I don't say that about speakers). You get every emotional nuance from the vocals. Not bright at all (took the grilles off in fact). I think if most people on this board heard them today they would be very impressed with the sound quality. They are true audiophile speakers.

The only con is if you play a poor recording on them it sounds terrible. You want to turn off your system and go do something else. This explains why their reviews are so glowing. Reviewers mostly use audiophile recordings. But anything bright or rough sounding it exaggerates this effect. If you want to hear how excellent your audiophile recordings can truly sound, get these speakers. They particularly excel on The Jazz. But they are too bougie to play the stooges. The are a true French snob of a speaker. But feed them the finest and you get the finest.

jonwoody, avanti1960 and CoryG85 like this.
  20. Bananas&blow

I have not but moved here 3 years ago from Phoenix and 2 of those were covid life.

21. Ilusndweller

Seems like they are still around and jamming, check them out sometime. Id see them when they played L.A., which was fairly frequently.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  22. Bananas&blow

Ok thank you. I have heard the amp get a little congested a couple of times when I was powering the KEF R300's. Which makes sense as with 3 drivers they are the hardest to drive speaker that I have paired with the Cary. They were also the most dead sounding of the 3 speakers although it was still mostly enjoyable (they are more veiled with other amps too). Both the B&W bookshelf and the Duettos passed the "Telegraph Road" test. Did not sound congested or strained at all.

With my tinitus and living in an apartment I don't listen that loudly.

avanti1960 likes this.
  23. The Pinhead

Any early :

Yellowman
    Beenie Man
    Ninjaman
    Mad Cobra
    Bounty Killer
    Shaggy
    Sean Paul
    Buju Banton
    Shabba Ranks
    Sizzla
    Capleton

Bananas&blow likes this.
  24. Bananas&blow

That was great. And you inspired me to spin this...

[​IMG]

avanti1960 likes this.
  25. The Pinhead

Oh, and this one is a must-have :

[​IMG]

And it sounds ACE on vinyl, the only genre I think sounds consistently better on that format. Dunno why, maybe it's my system, but reggae benefits from a rounder, warmer sound (not saying vinyl is better than digital, mind you) and the built-in phono section in my vintage Pioneer receiver is SWEET.

Bananas&blow and Helom like this.