The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

In France, we have the café, which has several uses. I always viewed the café as a continuation of the sidewalk, where you can sit, and drink, and talk, or work. The silent rule seems to be, no one asks you why you're here. You don't need a reason. You can find both anonymity and company in a café. Still, it's a place where you would go with friends in the evening, but not necessarily go with friends right after works. Some people do it, but the rule would be more, time's up, everybody home. Even if you go out afterwards. Well, that's my experience.

Unfortunately cafés tend to disappear. I read somewhere that there used to be 500 000 of them in France, and they're down to 36 000 as of 2016. Many villages don't have a café anymore, sadly.

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

LOL. Look at the cover of "Muswell Hillbillies" and see if you can spot any women, children... or food!

3. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Actually, there's another place just across the bridge in Beverly called the Anchor Pub which also has a seperate bar & dining area and is also very popular w/the local crowd. I think it's more your speed, although it doesn't offer free popcorn like the 99 :D

mark winstanley and Wondergirl like this.
  4. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

:laugh: Point taken.

CheshireCat and mark winstanley like this.
  5. DISKOJOE

Or how about the scene in Hard Day's Night where Ringo holding the stale sandwich while the pub matron said it was fresh that morning!

mark winstanley and Wondergirl like this.
  6. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Which pub out of interest? Just out of interest in case I knew it.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Heraghty's, Southside.

DISKOJOE, mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  8. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Ah ok, I don’t know it. It was mainly city centre and west end places I frequented with I lived in the city. I barely know the south side at all, although I’ve heard over the last decade or so it’s become more gentrified and similar to the west end.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Depends whereabouts you are in the Southside.

DISKOJOE, ajsmith and mark winstanley like this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

It was an album by album song by song thread.
    I can't recall the exact title but the OP was (at) esoteric IIRC?

11. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

I've been following the Twitter page for the Archway Tavern, actually. It's definitely changed since the 70s.

12. DISKOJOE

I can imagine you & Avid Fortuleo sitting in one of those cafes, smoking Gitanes while in heated debate about the Kinks.

13. The late man

I don't smoke, I said I would start smoking when I'm 50, and I'm 50 now, but I chickened out.

14. The late man

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D:D

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

17. The late man

When you imagine us, do you actually see John Wayne and a sea cow drinking a glass of wine in a café ?

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The north Seattle suburb where I used to live is undergoing a big-time change. Some folks started a public house in a tiny commercial corner…and it’s exploded in popularity. No food in-house but a different food truck pulls up directly outside every day. It is +21 only, though. Dogs are allowed! Games galore on the shelves and frequented by the neighborhood.

We live four blocks from a brew pub now. Family friendly, so kids allowed. Has games, too (I was initially surprised by this board game revival and think it’s fantastic), and basic pizza type food.

There’s gotta be some place like that near you, I’d think.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Our Sunday thread-off-day and I’m listening my way through the 70s discography. Is it Arista that’s after RCA? Anyway, I’m being transported back to the FM radio days of yore and find myself reaching for my rolling papers. But, like @The late man , I don’t smoke (anymore)!

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

LOL yes I do! I'm not sure what else to visualise :)

21. mark winstanley

Well I still vape .... I have an undeniable nicotine addiction that have no understanding how to combat .... I used to roll my own though.... I must say tobacco isn't the first thing I thought of when rolling papers came up... not that I ever used those in that context ... ahh I miss those days. I am officially an old fart

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I wasn’t thinking of a Harry rag, either!

23. DISKOJOE

That's OK, it's a disgusting habit anyway. The person that I wonder about is Jacques Dutront. Almost every time I see a piccy of him, he has a cigar in his mouth. I'm surprised he doesn't have lung cancer by now.

24. DISKOJOE

No, I imagine two French intellectual types wearing berets w/a big bottle of wine & big opinions to argue about passionately.

25. mark winstanley

I used to like cigars, but it is really bad drawing on a cigar like a joint ... supposedly you aren't supposed to inhale ..... I don't know how it to that, it goes all the way down to my toes lol

DISKOJOE and Zeki like this.