Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

especially DVDs...

Cokelike- likes this.
  2. Michael

you got that right!

3. Michael

now that's a cool T-Shirt...where did you get it?

4. Michael

I'm enjoying the cheap 4K/BD blu-ray combo packs that are cheaper than the stand alone BD!

Jamey K likes this.
  5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

OT (but I found a 'first DVD' topic closed): The first DVD I bought was Lilo & Stitch. Hooked the new player up through the big stereo system and was really blown away by the sound and the video quality, which seemed as good as it could get. I still don't see DVDs as all that limited though I can tell Blu-ray picture can be superior, but do I even really want that for most old tv? First CD I ever heard was the Brothers In Arms album by Dire Straits when it was fairly new and that too blew me away, but the first ones I got myself were Cream Of Clapton, and a Best Of Lou Reed (together). When well made both DVDs and CDs can be great... unfortunately they aren't always well made.

jason88cubs likes this.
  6. Michael

I have so many sealed DVDs that I probably will never watch! my backlog is incredible...I can say we are doing fine in the BD dept...not too many backlogged.

clhboa and jason88cubs like this.
  7. Michael

well I grew up on antenna TV with piss poor reception and PQ, but the COLOR back in 1960's was brilliant!...I can honestly say I can enjoy a movie in any format...although clarity is most welcomed..

beccabear67 and jason88cubs like this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

+1 :righton:

Michael likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I also grew up with antenna TV/reception, and as long as the DVD looks better than what I would have picked up over the air back then, I'm pretty much fine with any of it...

I don't get the obsession some have with having the picture so clear/detailed or whatever that you can see the actors pores.

10. Michael

exactly how I feel....

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. Michael

it really is a pleasure...

12. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think I most appreciate HD/Blu-ray when it's a modern nature or fly-over show, but it's a bit like Imax... would I want to see everything that 'big' or detailed? If I can relate it to a mono '60s recording that is sometimes better than the stereo version, many small screen shows factored into their production the quality of reproduction they had at that time... sometimes they thought ahead, used film, made them in color, but none of them imagined the kind of sharpness we can have now. So now you can see the wobbly walls on sets or the strings on effects or puppets quite glaringly... and it's not long before they start tinkering with the old shows to either digitally erase those artifacts or to introduce all new supposedly better effects (like new overdubs) like on the first Star wars movie, the old Star Trek episodes and Doctor Who. It's a fine line. I guess I'm just a knee-jerk conservative (but not as in modern political meaning in that I stay to a middle, keeping the old stuff while allowing myself to dip a toe into what's new and sometimes appreciating it. No all eggs in one basket.

As I've replaced a few things on DVD with more deluxe editions with better quality and more extra features (see Rumble Fish original release versus the Criterion set or At Last the 1948 show), if I got a Blue-ray player I could see I might upgrade the odd thing like say Blade Runner. I wouldn't like to be forced as in there is only a Blu-ray edition or extra features only on it but have come close to feeling that.

Perhaps too people who have had more than one hard drive suddenly fail on them are a bit like people who lived through the depression stocking canned foods? :laugh:

13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

But you are clearly not a poreaphile.

14. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I love buying 4k discs, my problem is media I want to buy. I love original Star Wars, Indiana jones, ET, Last Star Fighter…. I love PG & PG-13 content… my issue is most everything now is R rated, or TV-Mature. I will not watch anything past the third “F” word. I don’t want gore, horror or Spiritism.. anymore that means there is nothing left worth watching.

jason88cubs likes this.
  15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It grinds my gears when I see DVDs in the used shops at ridiculously high prices. I just found a copy of a Japanese horror flick I've been wanting to see for years, but the store was charging $100 for it! Can you believe that? I don't care if the DVD is rare, obscure, or out-of-print... there's absolutely no excuse in 2022 for anybody to be charging that much for a single disc. :mad:

16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I know you like old tv series. You ever hear of a 1965 Western series called "The Loner"? Bought the one and only season cheap recently. Only watched 2 episodes so far. Seems really good. Stars Lloyd Bridges and was created by Rod Serling.

THE LONER: The Complete Series - HamiltonBook.com

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    Grand_Ennui and Michael like this.
  17. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

For me, DVDs are for things where the odds of BRs (or better) are so small that I figure it's either DVD or never (or where the DVD may be the last uncensored version.)

I have "Fawlty Towers" on the original DVD set as it is un-cut. Don't want the BRs.

I just got the DVD set of "Cop Rock: The Complete Series" NOS for very little, just for the fun of revisiting...

Also just received a tw0-DVD set of David Essex's films "That'll be the Day" and "Stardust" which I have wanted to see for some 40 years since I got the soundtrack album for the latter.

Neither "CR" nor the Essex films are likely candidates for re-issue, so I am glad to have them as they are.

C.

Silver Surfer likes this.
  18. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Destination Murder

and Gangsters Vol 2
    Bullets or Ballots
    City for Conquest
    Each Dawn I Die
    "G" Men
    San Quentin
    A Slight Case of Murder

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  19. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

I have many DVDs in my collection that simply never saw the light of day on another format (i.e. Blu or Ultra HD Blu-ray), and, like Claus, I'm happy to have them as they are. Some of these include Red Eye, The Ref, Surviving the Game, the House Party collection, Krush Groove and Skyjacked.

jason88cubs likes this.
  20. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Yes I can believe that. Supply & demand, & what the market will bear. You brought up why it was $100, since it's apparently rare, obscure & out of print. And, they don't need an excuse to charge what it's worth. Someone else will buy it if you don't.

21. jason88cubs

Love Red Eye

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  22. Kaskade10729

Me too; a highly underrated Wes Craven thriller that doesn't feel like one of his films, at all. Really flew under the radar...

Here's a strange story about this title: Because it's only available on DVD, we recently replaced our full screen version of the film (bought by accident because we didn't read the cover when we picked it up at a local Suncoast in used form) with the anamorphic widescreen version because our Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player doesn't allow for a way to automatically stretch 4:3 DVDs to fit the screen vertically (which I prefer, and which players like the Oppos, Cambridge Audio and now Reavons do) -- so we went from THIS:

[​IMG]

To THIS:

[​IMG]

In the age of ultra-high-definition....

Let that sink in a minute.....

23. jason88cubs

oh wow interesting.

Yes very good movie. I haven't seen it in years, I do own it though. Had me hooked from first time

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  24. Kaskade10729

Ironically, it actually plays and feels like a made-for-TV-film, which was so different for Craven.

jason88cubs likes this.
  25. Michael

yes, that was on a different label years back...good Western.

Grand_Ennui and clhboa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.