Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I just pared down my dvd collection. I basically got rid of all my movies. Most of those I can stream and if not, I can at least rent from Apple or Amazon if I really want to watch it. I only kept my tv dvd sets and christmas movies/tv specials.

With tv shows, most of my favourites aren't streaming in canada. I just bought the complete series of Cheers and That 70s Show. Shockingly, both are not streaming in Canada at the moment. So, I'll continue to collect tv series.

I live in a small house, so between my cd collection and video game collection, something had to give!

jason88cubs likes this.
  2. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I actually bought an oop DVD. Stephen King’s forgotten broadcast television series Kingdom. Not available on Blu-ray not streaming.

It’s on after I wrap up the final season of American Gods courtesy of rye Montgomery County Interlibrary Loan System.

3. Nope. I have a few for movies that are truly precious to me, but movies are something that except for a just a few, I do not tend to go back to I very much enjoy, but once is normally enough. Also, it was easy to make the jump to streaming or iTunes downloads for movie rental (or watching on Netflix). I don't feel that way about music, where streaming rights can be pulled at pretty much any time (as we've seen this month), and streaming services simply DO NOT distribute enough of the earnings to the creators.

4. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

If anyone wants to sell dvd's blu rays , please PM ME!

Silver Surfer likes this.
  5. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

Just popped this in last night, yo....

[​IMG]

Gus Tomato and jason88cubs like this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Both "Custer" and "The Monroes" were released by Shout! Factory, so neither really had anything in the way of remastering.

That said, I would say that the picture quality of "Custer" is probably 25% better than "The Monroes". But that's just my opinion-I'm usually satisfied with most any picture quality that is better than I would have received in the olden days of over the air/antenna TV :)

Silver Surfer and Manapua like this.
  7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

THE MONROES is probably among the worst TV series, as far as mastering, goes. It looks mostly like bad VHS. It's doubly disappointing because we don't get to see the gorgeous Grand Teton scenery that the show could offer. All we get is a sort of brown mush.

[​IMG]
    ...and that's with some Photoshop work!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  8. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I looked through my DVD collection last night. All are concert DVDs. Last time I checked none I have were available on Blu or to buy digitally.

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Thanks. It has generally okay reviews. Amazon has it for around 10 bucks so I'll check Gruv and Deep Discount to see if it's any cheaper or the same since I'd rather give them my money than Bezos.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Thanks. That seems to be the consensus on the review pages. Pity but not too surprising for a relatively obscure show like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.