Peggy Lee On Record (1941-1995)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Dec 29, 2016.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

The sound on the LP release is not great. But not terrible.

2. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

Possibly. If I see it for a good price sometime I may pick it up.

3. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

What confuses me is how both "Deep Purple" and "Farewell To Arms" from the If You Go sessions were properly mixed with Peggy's vocal in the center for eventual release, and yet, to my knowledge, the original dozen album cuts have always featured Peggy left of center in the stereo mix? Why? Is it because If You Go has never received a proper CD release? (i.e. Capitol Jazz.) I know that P's & Q's was cancelled before its US release, but does anyone own a copy? Is there any way to determine whether or not If You Go was properly remixed for that cancelled release?

Basically what I'm saying is that the original stereo mix for the album is a real stinker, and that seems to be all that's been used for reissues since, as best I can tell. Hearing the mono mix for the first time really opened my eyes, ears and heart to this album.

I'm surprised that "My Guitar" still remains in the vault, especially since there's two different recordings of it.

Glad to learn more about the possible genesis of this album and the plausible rationale for its excess tracks, @Ridin'High. Thank you, it makes perfect sense to me now!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  4. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

As for my take on If You Go...I consider it a bit of a dark-horse favorite, not among the ones that come immediately to mind as favorites, but when I do put it on and pay attention, it's great for what it is. Seven of its songs made the cut when I copied my CD to my iTunes: "As Time Goes By", "If You Go", "I Wish I Didn't Love You So", "Maybe It's Because", "Gypsy Heart", "When I Was a Child" and "Here's that Rainy Day". I can't recall just what I was thinking when I made those particular choices, but checking in on the other songs now didn't make me want to change anything. I also have "Farewell to Arms", and actually like that one better than anything that did make the album. It's one of my favorites on the Rare Gems and Hidden Treasures collection, where for the most part I prefer the earlier songs. I remember listening to that the first time and becoming progressively less impressed as it went on...but then at the very end came "Farewell to Arms", which was love at first listen.

The biggest surprise to me by far was that I left off "I Get Along Without You Very Well". There aren't many genres where I can point to a single song that is my absolute favorite of that genre, but torch music is one and it's that song. How could Peggy's version of that possible fail to impress me? One listen and I remembered why: way too upbeat, the arrangement robs it of every bit of the poignancy that makes it so magnificent. Take Linda Ronstadt's version, for example - it sounds like her heart is falling out. Here, it just leaves me cold. Hey, no one gets it right every time.

5. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

6. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last Sunday (February 6, 2022), CBS aired the following feature as part of its CBS Sunday Morning Legends series. Showcasing Peggy Lee (of course!), the feature includes interview segments with her granddaughter. That interview was conducted at Peggy’s home way back in the mid-1930s, when she was in high school. One of her biographers is also interviewed.

7. .crystalised.

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions, it appears I can't watch the YouTube link in Canada :(

Ridin'High likes this.
  8. Ridin'High

Oh gee. That is annoying. I wonder if the version of the clip at Peggy Lee’s website is also restricted? ... Probably. But, even if it is, at least there is the option to just read the full text of the CBS segment (see link at bottom):

'CBS Sunday Morning' Explores Peggy Lee's 'Cool Power' and Her North Dakota Roots - Peggy Lee

bluemooze likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I didn't realize, but she performed more duets with Bing on his radio shows then anyone else besides Rosemary Clooney.

10. jazzyvocalfan

jazzyvocalfan Forum Resident

11. Ridin'High

[​IMG]

My bad -- poorly & hastily phrased. I meant that Mo Rocca’s 2021 interview of Peggy Lee’s granddaughter took place at what was Peggy’s home through her high school years (1935 to 1937).

[​IMG]

True; also in the running (and predating both Peggy and Rosie) is Connee Boswell, of Boswell Sisters fame.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Not to forget Jolie.

13. .crystalised.

I found a workaround by watching it directly on the CBS website at this link, posted here for any other international fans which may have issues viewing on YouTube.

marmalade166, Ridin'High and Patanoia like this.
  14. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Saw this thread and thought I would comment. Watched the interview last weekend with Peggy Lee's granddaughter on CBS and thought it was a sensational segment. I have been aware of Miss Lee and her work for decades but never did add anything to my collection, and now I really want to explore her recordings. I looked at the list of things available on Amazon and there did not seem to be very many comprehensive compilations in print at the moment. I like to buy new product whenever possible so the artist or their heirs get the royalties, so I am in the middle of searching around for titles to seek.

15. There is so much! A good place to start would be this:

[​IMG]

Excellent remastering by Robert Vosgien.

Ere, Ridin'High, Patanoia and 3 others like this.
  16. .crystalised.

Definitely the best place to start when it comes to an official, modern compilation.

Ridin'High and Armjim like this.
  17. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Thanks for the suggestion. The songs that I hurriedly scribbled down from watching the show are all contained on this set. Amazon has extended shipping dates for the vinyl, and no cds available. This seems like a good title to start with so I 'll hunt for it.

Ridin'High and .crystalised. like this.
  18. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

uDiscover shows it available for $27: Peggy Lee - Ultimate Peggy Lee 2LP – uDiscover Music

They're doing a Buy One, Get One 50% Off sale at the moment, so you could also nab the double Peggy Lee "Ultimate Christmas" set.

bluemooze, Ridin'High and CBackley like this.
  19. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

From the GRAMMY Museum in LA:

"100 Years of Peggy Lee" is now open at the GRAMMY Museum!

Open until Fall 2022, this new exhibit features artifacts from Miss Peggy Lee, including handwritten notes, drawings and paintings, jewelry and accessories, personal items like a letter from Frank Sinatra, rare photographs and more.

Tickets available now: https://grm.my/3n2L05F

Ere, .crystalised., bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  20. .crystalised.

Sweet! I might want to plan a trip.

21. Ridin'High

French Ala Lee:

You are listening to one of two numbers sung by Peggy during her 1950 guest appearance on the “yellow-stickered" program, which she frequently visited over the years. The first time was in 1948, when television was pretty much a new thing, and so was this show, back then in its earlier incarnation.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  22. .crystalised.

Wow, the magic spell Peggy casts...
    She reminds me of a Disney princess here. Animated and enamoured.
    Beautiful.

Ridin'High likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I just came across a 10 inch 78 in my collection that I had labeled "Rare Peggy Lee".

It has Peggy Lee on one side and Anita Boyer on the other.

Peggy sings "Johnny Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet" backed by Charles Wolcott & His Orchestra

Anita sings "Without You" with the same orchestra.

Both songs are from Walt Disney's 1946 animation feature "Make Mine Music", so I am guessing that this is also from 1946 (the culture was moving fast back then!).

If it is 1946 (very likely), it came not long after her solo career on records had started (there were only two single 78s in 1945).

But neither Peggy or Anita were in the Disney film or on any later Disney LP record of these tunes.

The record has no apparent label name (not Walt Disney either), but says "Supervised by Don Otis"

Was this song reissued on some later collector's item (I might even have it!), or does anyone have more information?

Patanoia and bluemooze like this.
  24. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Of all people to not post a photo of such a find, you @Tribute ? ;)
    Please?

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

no camera at this time.