What are your favorite Gordon Lightfoot albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 3Dman, Feb 15, 2022.

1. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins Thread Starter

Haven’t seen a poll like this for Gord, so here we are. Many consider “best album” and “favorite album” to be different, and so do I, so please just choose your (current) five favorite Gordon Lightfoot albums. It’s not the easiest task, as his catalog is very strong. As I was putting the albums in, I realized it’ll probably take me a while to choose my five myself, and they could easily change any given moment.

I went with studio albums, but put “other” as an option if you really like All Live or Gord’s Gold, etc.

2. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: To me, the four United Artists albums are must-owns.

gregorya, agundy, Lastomykind and 5 others like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there is not a Gord album I do not like... I am a fan of the man...

Fullbug, walrusz, Jarleboy and 13 others like this.
  4. 3Dman

Agreed. They’re all excellent.

walrusz and Jarleboy like this.
  5. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Went for the five in row....Summer Side of Life thru Cold On the Shoulder.....
    Album I like that's usually passed over is East of Midnight. Also really like A Painter Passing Through for later Gord.

Don't really have a favorite for the United Artist years....I guess I'd cherry pick songs off of each.

Gord's Gold II is a head scratcher. Not sure what he was thinking.

Saw Gord ALL BY HIMSELF in 1989 at the Heritage in Saginaw MI. Also went to the dedication in Orillia in 1999. Gord was unloading his gear and I almost stopped to ask if he wanted help...but he had a look of consternation on his face...so I gave him his space. (this was the early afternoon of the concert...my wife and I were driving around Oriliia).

Lightfoot and Jackson Browne are the only solo artists I've followed thruout their career.

6. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I can’t answer as I only have Sundown and If You Could Read My Mind.

I love both!

what would be the next three to get?

Thanks!

WMTC and 3Dman like this.
  7. SPF2001

SPF2001 a must to avoid

The man has never made a mis-step,but I remember when Endless Wire came out that it might be a letdown after Summertime Dream was such a big hit,but in fact I think I liked it more.

ky658, Humbuster and 3Dman like this.
  8. Bern

Bern JC4Me

My two favorites are Don Quixote and Cold On The Shoulder. Try one of those and then pick a United Artist one to see what you like!

unclefred, Paul Gase and 3Dman like this.
  9. DoTheKittyCat

DoTheKittyCat ~

The one with The Pony Man.

10. 3Dman

Yeah, I think any of the UA albums are a decent pick. I believe I got Lightfoot! first, that was a pretty solid intro for me.
    Those two WB-era are solid choices as well, can’t really go wrong with any from ‘70-‘80 as a starter.

superstar19 and Bern like this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

If you could read my mind, you'd know that this compilation would be my pick. It's the perfect amount of Gordon for me. Great song selection, great price, easily available and nice sound!

12. 3Dman

Yes, that’s very good selection of Gord’s material to that point. The only two qualms some have with Gord’s Gold are that it doesn’t have Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald (which came out a year later) and the re-recorded UA material.
    I might not like the redone material quite as much as the originals, but nevertheless Gord and band are fully in their prime and deliver the goods. I find them refreshing to hear after being more accustomed to the earlier versions, just like I enjoy both versions of “The Way I Feel”. Both are great, just different. Hard to go wrong with Gord.

13. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I started with Gord’s Gold when I was 15 soon after got Don Quixote and Summer Side.
    I collected all his albums throughout the last 45 years and have loved his music.
    I would say my my favourite period is everything up to Dream Street Rose.

Glenn coates, Bern and 3Dman like this.
  14. Key East

Key East Forum Resident

"Shadows". My childhood.

15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Summertime Dream

Because of The Wreck...

Fullbug, 3Dman and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Read my mind through summertime dream is a hell of a run of albums. The UA albums are certainly essential and possibly his strongest songwriting but it’s when he starts to perm his hair and bring much more production into the studio that he hit his peak. After summertime that production becomes the problem, still a couple great songs on every album but no great albums.

But who am I to sit in judgment of Gordon effin lighftfoot. I’m not worthy, I’m just a man building a railroad for a young and growing land. He’s writing songs to the future.

walrusz, TS582, sami and 6 others like this.
  17. 3Dman

They say you've been out wandrin'
    They say you've travelled far
    Sit down young stranger
    And tell us who you are

superstar19 and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I was going to say that.
    One day I may get around to checking out the earlier stuff, but Gord's Gold is a classic

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Let me reach out love and touch you, let me hold you for awhile

superstar19, WMTC and 3Dman like this.
  20. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

A vote for his live concert recorded March 1969, Massey Hall, Toronto.
    [​IMG]

sjaca, superstar19, LaBowe and 4 others like this.
  21. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

The Ballad Of The Yarmouth Castle is evergreen.

sjaca, 3Dman and Dennis0675 like this.
  22. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

That's not precisely true. He fell down the stairs at the Gill Coliseum in Oregon back in May 1971. "You better take care" - indeed, G.L.

Sorry you likely meant musically. I've only heard Gord's Gold; I look forward to hearing more of the original albums seeing how many different ones get love here.

SPF2001 and 3Dman like this.
  23. Bern

Bern JC4Me

The four CD set Songbook is a great comp. Missing a couple of songs IMO (Minstrel of the Dawn being one of them) but it's still great.

24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Whatever one I’m playing now. Final answer.

gord was very of his time no matter what decade and brings with it pop flavor of that day. You can go from 65, 75, 85 and get very different sounding albums. I hate to be a 75 guy because that’s the most played but that’s where it’s at. The jingly jangly folk guitar of 65 is compelling but you have to want to dig down deep to stay in 85.

25. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Whaaaat? No Minstrel? Sacrilege!

3Dman and Bern like this.