"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. EternalReturn

EternalReturn Forum Resident Thread Starter

New teaser of the Elvis biopic directed by Baz Luhrmann - due for release on June 24th 2022.
    The full trailer will be available on Thursday.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm in.

bpmd1962, RSteven, JediJones and 3 others like this.
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Yup. Even if he doesn't quite look the part, who ever could?

Now I'm wondering if you did one of those AI face merges with this new actor, Kurt Russell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Michael St. Gerard, Dale Midkiff, Bruce Campbell (okay maybe not :D) ... if you'd come out with something even remotely resembling Elvis.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The young man playing Elvis in this film also played Tex Watson of the Manson family in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

5. EternalReturn

Yep he's a great actor. The story goes that it was Denzel Washington that recommended Butler for the role of Elvis to Baz Luhrmann. That's one hell of an endorsement.

alexpop, enro99, Binni and 5 others like this.
  6. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Do we need another Elvis film?

jacchank, Jazzmonkie and rlp like this.
  7. A good one, yes.

8. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

??

Exactly how many Elvis biopics have there been? Made for TV movies sure but not many proper films.

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The last career spanning proper film about Elvis was the John Carpenter/Kurt Russell flick, I believe. On TV there was Elvis And Me and a couple miniseries. The couple of films about Elvis meeting Nixon don't really count as they're about one specific thing.

10. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Carpenter movie also made for TV. Aired on ABC.

11. EternalReturn

It might seem like there have been a lot of biopics about Elvis to date, but their quality has been questionable. We had the John Carpenter directed 1979 TV movie starring Kurt Russell as Elvis (released in cinemas outside the U.S) + then plenty of poorly produced TV movies & shows in the 80's/90's with small budgets. We had the 2005 TV series starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Then most recently we the independent film "Elvis & Nixon" starring Michael Shannon & Kevin Spacey.

Baz Luhrmann's film is the biggest Elvis film production to date. The budget is rumoured to be around $200 million, making it the most expensive music biopic so far (Bohemian Rhapsody had a budget of $55 million, Rocketman was $40 million).

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've often said they should do a 10-hour (big-budget) TV mini series on Elvis' life from 1954-1977, warts and all. That was one helluva story. Peter Guralnick's Last Train to Memphis is an eye-opening story: I thought I knew all the awful stories about Presley, but I didn't even know half of them. If you could balance the good with the bad over 10 hours, it'd be a good movie... but it'd cost hundreds of millions of dollars to get the rights and make it. I'd get an 18-year old to play young Elvis, somebody 25 to play early-1960s Elvis, and then somebody 45 to play Fat Vegas Elvis. I'm not sure if one guy who play the same character convincingly across 25 years.

rmath84, eileen, O Don Piano and 9 others like this.
  13. EternalReturn

There was a big budget TV series due to start production back in 2017 - but because it was being funded/produced by Harvey Weinstein, it was shelved. In 2013 director Kevin Macdonald (Last King Of Scotland) was going to adapt "Last Train To Memphis" for cinema release (produced by Mick Jagger) but that was also shelved. I agree that a big budget TV series with different actors covering different eras would be ideal. I'm hoping Luhrmann's film will be good though.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Unfortunately, I didn't wind up winning De Lotto, so it didn't happen. Still in the planning stages: my docodramas on the lives of Roy Orbison, Marvin Gaye, Phil Spector, and Morris Levy... all fascinating characters in rock & roll.

15. EternalReturn

Sounds interesting!

16. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Not when it's already been done to peak perfection:

alexpop likes this.
  17. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

A "Walk The Line" or "Ray"-type of Elvis biopic doesn't really excite me. I hope it is more of a Todd Haynes-style re-imagining of Elvis. Given that it is Baz Luhrman I think we are going to get a "Rocketman" musical type of film.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

So then there's never been a big screen big budget Elvis "biopic" until now, then. Interesting.

MRamble and RSteven like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    Max Florian, croquetlawns and RSteven like this.
  20. And the Carpenter one ends in 1970 so it’s not the complete story.

MRamble, RSteven and BeatleJWOL like this.
  21. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

We already got the last word on Elvis biopics with Bubba Ho-tep.

22. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

That just focused on his later, post 77 years.

23. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

That’s the only way to tell the story thoroughly, and (somewhat) accurately. A 2 hour film-even with a 200 mil budget-can’t do that. But if this film is truly about his music and, more importantly, those of his influences, then I’ll see it.

WhatDoIKnow, RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

From what I understand, the film is going to concentrate on the people who made him who he was. I haven't seen many of the films and TV shows referenced here, but what I have seen sort of assumes that he sprang into being, fully formed, like Athena from the forehead of Zeus.

I became excited about this when I learned that Yola, who I managed to see perform as part of Farm Aid 2019, is playing Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the woman who (as far as I'm concerned) invented rock and roll guitar.

smokeverbs, iggyd, woody and 2 others like this.
  25. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member