Sony- 65" Class BRAVIA XR A80J Series OLED 4K UHD Smart Google TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I did see that review... thanks. My thoughts were that in my earlier post I alluded to Cambridge Audio universal players having different DACs than those in Oppo players. That is true in later players but was not true for the Oppo 80 and CA 650BD. In my reading it seemed that many were comparing the Oppo 83 to the CA 650BD and not to the Oppo 80.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Linger63 likes this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

And that fool is a known dumb-ass troll at AVS Forum.
    His opinion is meaningless. Just like antivaxxers and Q-Anon believers and posters.
    Angry/Ignorant people love to lie and cause confusion & doubt.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Joshua Tree and Bill Mac like this.
  3. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

I know they don’t care for him on that site. But I haven’t seen why. Also looks like you were wrong about the A80J: 7:46 mark

4. audiomixer

I refuse to watch anything he posts.

5. audiomixer

I'll make sure to say 3 Hail Marys for penance. Possibly even self-flagellation. :biglaugh:

6. audiomixer

Anybody else buying this 2021 model or possibly the 2022 model?

7. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

I bought my 65 XR A80J in November, no need to get a new TV for the next five years.

8. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I got mine in Dec. Highly recommended! Only problem is I'm spending way too much time watching it!

IanL, Linger63, Bill Mac and 2 others like this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I bought the A80J 65. Nice set. It’s not calibrated but I’ve tried to dial it in with basic settings suggested in the AVSForum thread - and it looks really good, particularly with HDR/Dolby Vision content.

IanL and audiomixer like this.
  10. JimW

Are you using the service menu settings, warm temp with -3 g and -15 b, or what? I'm using the warm temp with the corrections and things look great, including DV, which has become a source of contention in the avs thread.

audiomixer likes this.
  11. audiomixer

I believe those settings refer to having a WBC panel, but don't need correction if you have a WBE panel. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this point.

12. JimW

I believe that's correct, but tbh I haven't paid much attention to the panel differences since there's no way to tell which I have on my 65. If you have a 77, you know you have the newer panel.

I tried the warm temp correction and it looks great, so I've stuck with that. So many variables: which panel; sony changing WP mid-production; custom pro 1&2 acting differently than custom; to use or not use DV...

Current recommendation is to just use expert 1 temp with everything else ootb and don't use DV, regardless of panel or factory WP. I like DV...

I think the differences are very subtle, possibly imperceptible. Like getting from a delta error of 2 down to .7. As long as known good content looks right, I'm fine. Some things- esp some DV, just aren't mastered well. But videophiles can be as picky and have as high expectations as audiophiles. I accept not everything will look like reference. But even less than ideal sources still look pretty damn good if I look at the whole and don't focus on the negatives.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    audiomixer likes this.
  13. audiomixer

I ended up going back to Expert 1 with MAX basic advanced color settings and I like it. I also like DV Bright with slight settings adjustments.

Alan G. and JimW like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My freaking LG OLED better last more than 5 years! It's the last of the 3D models - it'll hit its 5th anniversary this summer, and I can't easily replace it! :help:

15. audiomixer

I find that this television doesn't necessarily need a professional calibration. You can get it pretty close to where you want to be with the multitude of setting options.

16. audiomixer

Just curious why you can't easily replace it?

17. Oatsdad

Errr, because they've not made 3D/4K LG OLEDs since 2016?

18. audiomixer

...and probably never will.

19. Oatsdad

Correct.

Which is why I can't easily replace the one I got.

Which is also why I don't get why you seemed to question my assertion that I can't easily replace the TV. :confused:

20. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I bought a 75" x90j before christmas and at first it was so big, it replaced a 48". I thought I had made a mistake. Now that I am used to it I wish I had bought an 85". I find myself watching sports, especially basketball, standing in front of it. I have done nothing to tweak the factory settings. This makes my fourth Sony tv since 1983; a 25" tube, a 42" tube, a 48" led and now the 75". I use my son's old 42" Bravia for my computer monitor.I've never experienced a moments trouble with any of them, so I am a loyal Sony fanboy.

audiomixer and PH416156 like this.
  21. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

22. audiomixer

Well, someday you will have to replace it. And it will be easy. Despite that 3D is no longer considered “in fashion”.

23. Oatsdad

What we have here is failure to communicate. :sigh:

The (fairly obvious) point is that I can't easily replace my current LG OLED with a model that has the same capabilities.

They don't make 3D/4K OLEDs any more. Can't get one of those easily.

Of course I can get a new TV easily. But I can't find what I want easily.

Is this that difficult to comprehend? :help:

darkmass likes this.
  24. cvila

cvila Senior Member

I purchased this TV at Costco at the time of the thread’s inception as I was just about to start researching the best $2,000 to $2,500 TV for a new house we are moving into. Since I have turned into the guy who no longer keeps up with new technology, I just jumped at the $1,799 deal.

Through poor planning on my part, I had our contractor route (in-wall) three HDMI cables from behind the TV to where I plan to put my rack for a two-channel stereo system. I figured one HDMI for a cable box, one HDMI for a blu-ray player and one HDMI for audio.

1. I did not think to include an Optical Digital Audio Out cable for the streaming services I will get directly from the TV.
    2. I think I assumed it would be easy to get two channel analog audio from the third HDMI cable through some kind of convertor box.

Apparently, it’s not that easy?

Considering I never really had TV integrated into my audio system before, I am perfectly happy with watching the TV with just a stereo speaker array. But I want it to be good quality sound when we watch things like Get Back on Disney+.

So poking around a bit here, I think my best option is the TV’s HDMI port 3 [HDMI (eARC/ARC) (4K 120 Hz)] going into a Bluesound Node streamer and then either analog or optical out of the Bluesound Node into my pre-amp.

Do I have that right?

25. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I upgraded to an 8k/4k cable on my ten-year-old LG Plasma 50PA5500 -- because Apple TV was crapping out.

I'll hang on to it as long as i can.