New movie "Licorice Pizza" by Paul Thomas Anderson, out now.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Denim Chicken, Sep 27, 2021.

1. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Exactly , how I felt. And Jackie Brown was good, because you actually cared about the characters. This film there was not a likeable character in the entire film

905 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’m not seeing the movie available to buy or rent anywhere. And no Blu-ray release date yet on Amazon

:confused:

Hyacinth House likes this.
  3. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Watched this film today and really liked the 70s look. Great performances too.

I was amazed by the energy of the main couple, always running around and I'm sure they had to go through multiple takes of each scene.

I don't know how big the city they lived in was supposed to be, but is it realistic that they were able to reach all those places just by running? The police station, the restaurant, the politician's headquarters, etc.

They seemed to own cars, so I saw no reason for them to keep running around instead of driving to places... unless the director just wanted to convey the excitement of youth and young love.

What about the guy that spent hours outside the politician's headquarters and the restaurant? He suddenly disappeared, was he trying to get proof that the politician was gay so that he could use it against him?

Aftermath and Greenalishi like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

1. Fantasy.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.

Loved the movie, I've watched our screener several times. My wife told me each take of the thing was done over and over and over and over. Took many extra weeks. Nothing was left to chance. Every frame of film was carefully crafted to give a spontaneous look and feel---But the shooting was not..

Many scenes were filmed but left out, I suppose for time.

5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Just to tell you how popular the LP soundtrack is I had an Amazon order cancelled on Taj Mahal's CD album "Happy Just To Be Like I Am" the movie ends with the title track off the CD Tomorrow May Not Be Your Day.

The reason for the cancel indicated in the Amazon email is the seller had the album priced "wrong" and I'm to try again at a later date. The only one left is from the UK $50.

It is a rare album that has a style of his music not on all the compilations or Greatest Hits...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BI4YK...ike+i+am+taj+mahal,popular,397&sr=1-1-catcorr

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for the heads up Tim...and link. ; )

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I hope a dvd release has those scenes as bonus content.

BILLONEEG likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I hope so too. Some are quite wonderful.

9. Great film.
    Charismatic leads, loved the cameos - Sean Penn, Tom Waits and Bradley Cooper.
    Fantastic period look and a cute story.

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Licorice Pizza is playing this week at our small mountain movie theater in the downtown village.

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. BradOlson

It came and went to our theater here.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

yesstiles likes this.
  14. BradOlson

Yes they do. They have songs in so many different styles and this type of song would be great for them.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    alexpop likes this.
  15. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I've seen it three times so far and really wouldn't see it another time or two before it leaves theaters. Easily my favorite film of the last year or so.

Lightworker and Greenalishi like this.
  16. BradOlson

You can watch it on Apple TV+ or Amazon Prime right now.

17. alexpop

Remind me of Spring ( American Spring ).

yesstiles likes this.
  18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I’m also looking forward till it reaches a streaming site (and not cost $19.99 like at AppleTV+). So far it’s still not in sight but apparently you will be able to rent it by March 15th.

19. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

the next 3 Award shows , will write the history of this movie. If it does not do well with awards, the film will be looked at as a "Miss". A few awards will go a long way , from this being forgotten in a few years (from ever happening). As BO was horrible. But I think it was always more of an Awards-Bait film

20. alexpop

Dvd should cost $10 bucks

21. BradOlson

Amazon Prime has it streaming for $19.99 as well.

22. TACOTACO

TACOTACO Forum Resident

How did you get a screener?

23. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I'm hoping for a "Director's Extended" version.

It's available on VUDU to purchase for $20.

yesstiles likes this.
  24. BradOlson

25. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

PTA has had final cut on every one of his movies except for his debut, Hard Eight, so the theatrical version of Licorice Pizza is his director's cut. Which isn't so to say that he couldn't do an alternate extended version at some point, but he's never done that before so I don't think it's very likely. However, he has in the past either dumped a whole bunch of deleted/extended scenes on DVD/Blu-ray to watch separately or even fashioned little short films out of unused footage -- the 12-minute "Blossoms & Blood" for Punch-Drunk Love and the 6-minute "Everything in This Dream" for Inherent Vice. I kind of hope he does something like that for LP.

BILLONEEG and yesstiles like this.