The Brady Bunch Blog

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Unedited, not “uncensored.” The government has never felt the need to censor the Bradys :)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I think in general parlance, censorship does not only apply to government control when it comes to the arts. It's pretty common to see "uncensored" used to describe releases of movies and TV shows that contain profanity when other versions exist that have the profanity removed or substituted. I generally think of the word "unedited" as meaning the full length version of something that was previously edited for time reasons, usually so more commercial airtime was available. In the case of The Brady Bunch Movie, my understanding is that the "censor" involved was Sherwood Schwartz.

3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

SandAndGlass and Hep Alien like this.
  4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

MikeInFla likes this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

6. MikaelaArsenault

7. MikaelaArsenault

Happy 63rd birthday today to Eve Plumb!

[​IMG]

8. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Still smitten with her after nearly fifty years.

Happy Birthday Eve!

9. MikaelaArsenault

I was going to post this in the Post any photograph here, within SH Forum guidelines, of course. Show us what cha got. thread, but I thought that it would be more fitting in here instead.

10. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I was looking into The Brady Bunch Movie a while back and got some new appreciation for what SNL did to revive the brand in the '90s. There was actually a stage show called The Real Live Brady Bunch that became a Rocky Horror-like camp hit with college kids in the late '80s or early '90s. Melanie Hutsell, who later became known for playing Jan on SNL, also played Jan in that show. Apparently all the stage show was, was the actors acting out Brady Bunch TV episodes without modification. But this was apparently enough for people to find hilarious at that time, just from the nostalgia of looking back on the show you watched as a kid as its own self-parody.

Melanie truly popularized the phrase "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" on SNL. That was her catchphrase as Jan. And even Eve Plumb has said no one quoted the phrase to her until after it started being used on SNL. Melanie has said she was somewhat disappointed to not get to play Jan in the movie, but I think she understood why they went with the other actress.

Melanie had done Jan on a Weekend Update spot, but then they had an upcoming episode with Susan Dey appearing, and she was told she should come up with some kind of Brady sketch to use her in. That was the genesis of the Brady Bunch vs. Partridge Family sketch, which IMO is one of the all-time greatest SNL sketches. It's not one of the ones NBC has seen fit to release online, but can be viewed on this Reddit page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiveFromNewYork/comments/iqeaqw/brady_bunch_vs_partridge_family/

This list shows what episodes "Jan" appeared on (she was probably also in the 'Recurring Characters for Unity' skit):

Recurring Saturday Night Live characters and sketches introduced 1991–92 - Wikipedia

YouTube has one of her Weekend Update bits:

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

100% sure it's because of the music copyrights.....most likely the same reason the fantastic "Tarantino's WELCOME BACK, KOTTER" isn't posted either.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  12. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Yeah, but a big network like NBC still getting hung up on music rights even when they are now trying to monetize these old programs on Peacock is beyond ridiculous. They paid for the rights to get the first five seasons on DVD. They should have gotten all that cleared up for the rest of the seasons before launching Peacock. Peacock appears to have nothing but the same clips they used to have segmented on NBC.com strung into incomplete shows. You can still click on them on NBC.com, except now they say unavailable. And on Peacock, you have to watch the full, incomplete episode, without being able to even see what sketches it includes, which means Peacock is a downgrade from NBC.com when you could preview and watch each sketch individually.

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yeah the music rights in that Brady vs Partridge bit would probably cost more than SNL's annual budget to legally stream online.

I liked Melanie's Jan character, but it's too bad she could never make it through a bit without stumbling over the script, sometimes painfully so.

dan c

swandown likes this.
  14. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Well I refuse to believe that music rights are so insurmountable. If the people holding the music rights are so unreasonable, then everyone else needs to start playing hardball and not dealing with them until they're forced to be realistic about how much value a brief bit of music like this actually adds to a product. Somehow SNL got everything cleared for DVD for the first 5 seasons, including all the Bill Murray lounge singer stuff.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

There's a big difference between having Bill Murray sing a song and using the actual master recordings, which both skits being discussed were based on.

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. MikaelaArsenault

18. MikaelaArsenault

19. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Benedict Arnold

20. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I was just watching "54-40 and Fight" and I realized that the trading stamp store guy was the same actor (Herb Vigran) who voiced Glum ("we'll never make it") in The Adventures of Gulliver

Jack Lord and MarkTheShark like this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

22. MikaelaArsenault

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. MikaelaArsenault

25. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

He also played Marcia’s driving instructor in the episode “The Driver’s Seat,” where he got to appear in his underwear.

MikaelaArsenault and Hall Cat like this.