The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I'm the opposite - it hurts my ears and disturbs my sensibilities.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I grew up with Jimmy Barnes, Ray's a whisperer compared to Barnesy :)

3. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

I love Skating on Thin Ice, though. I don't remember the rest of the album, but this one song is among my favorite tunes by the band.

4. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

And I'm on the pro-shouty Ray team. Anti-warbliness is my thing.

5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I’m team warble. :D

6. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Dallas Good of the Sadies, one of my favorite current bands. One of my favorite bands, period… Then Gary Brooker… and now Mark Lanegan. I'm really, really sad. Music lost three precious voices this week.

I've posted this before on this thread, in honor of the song. Please allow me to post it again, in honor of the guy.

7. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Damn no! Lanegan was my biggest musical discovery of the past twenty years. I bought everything he released and saw him whenever he came to Australia. He had the best deep voice this side of Leonard Cohen. His autobiography last year was the grittiest, seediest most desperate music bio I’ve read. All his friends died of overdoses or suicide. Damn!

8. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Mr. Big Man is quite a one-sided account. @The late man brought up He's Evil as a comparison, and we might recall that it was the point of view of Mr. Black and his followers that was expressed in that song - political, anti-Flash rhetoric that an objective observer wouldn't take at face value. In a similar way, I tend to think the protagonist's point of view in Mr. Big Man is from a position of spite and jealousy, which blows everything out of proportion, and that Mr. Big Man probably has a quite a different perspective on their relationship. Actually Mr. Big Man probably doesn't think of the protagonist at all, which makes him even angrier as he turns the screws on himself over his perceived slight. Also, Mr. Big Man is said to be a star, so presumably an artist. A very successful artist may become powerful to some extent, but "foes stacked in rows, eliminated" sounds like quite the exaggeration, something that would apply more to a warlord or dictator, not a pop singer.

I like how the introduction section helps me to imagine that our protagonist is creeping up behind Mr. Big in order to drive a knife in his back. Ultimately the song kind of runs out of steam (I'll admit to getting a bit impatient for it to end), but it's fitting for the impotence of the rage expressed within it.

9. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of this guy. But sad to hear a light has been extinguished.

I must have missed this cover on the first go-round, but that's very intense and well done.

10. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Really heartfelt Fortuleo. Screaming Trees were a great band. Sweet Oblivion should have been a monster. Great, great album. His first solo album too, and work with QOSA. I didn't know he teamed up with Greg Dulli. I need to check that out. Loved the Af Whigs too!

R.I.P. Mark Lanegan

11. croquetlawns

I also grew up with Jimmy - other than a few years as a teenager I've always hated his voice!

12. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Mr. Big Man

Angry Ray is not a common sight. Love it when the Kinks turn up the decibels and rock it on out. This has album oriented rock radio written all over it. I'm surprised it didn't become a rock radio staple because it has all the elements. It's a song not that far removed from the Lola album nor that song on Preservation 2 (I forget the title) that came across as generic hard rock. Mr. Big Man is a bit generic hard 70s rock but only a bit. It's a winner. Personally, I think Ray may be in self loathing mode here and singing about himself like he does later on Attitude. Or maybe he's taking a swipe at his little brother. Speaking of, Dave does it tear it up nicely here.

13. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Or, it can "kill your spirit and destroy your mind." (Though that line wasn't shout-sung).

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Best rock singer ever

markelis and DISKOJOE like this.
  15. croquetlawns

= either Steve Marriott or Freddie Mercury. :D

DISKOJOE and markelis like this.
  16. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

It's page 777 and I'm reading this at 7:17 on 2-22-22. I feel like I should be betting on a horse.

17. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Actually, all three (intending to include Mr. Barnes) are on another level. ….but they are not the only ones. I’d be quick to throw Axl Rose and Robert Plant into that mix. …but then that seems like it should be a different thread.

18. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Going to have to go for Kurt Cobain and John Lennon. For harmonies, Keith/Mick, Ray/Dave, Phil/Don, John/Paul. Mark is amazing.

19. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

RIP Dallas, Mark and Gary. Rough week. In the nineties I saw Dallas around the hood all the time.

I like Mr. Big Man ok. Nice playing by Pyle and Dave. I like Ray’s vocal fine. A bit generic in chord progression and melody I guess. Not great, but not bad.

20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Either way they improved the lyrical theme contemporaneously with bags getting closer inspections & band members worried they will be detained by authorities!

21. croquetlawns

I certainly agree with Ray/Dave as great harmony singers. I often find Dave an average lead singer, but he usually elevates the material when he's on harmony.

Wondergirl, DISKOJOE, Zeki and 9 others like this.
  22. All Down The Line

Is it a kirke of fate or just bekoss?

DISKOJOE, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  23. All Down The Line

Are You sure?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  24. All Down The Line

If you give me a gallon of gas I'll take a tanker!

25. All Down The Line

Feel free.