Will sanctions be the end of the tube resurgence?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BayouTiger, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

The very fact that it is being discussed here means there will be some panic buying and hoarding. That will mean temporary shortage and a price spike.

2. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Forum Resident

Panic buying tubes? That will do you no good when the electricity get shut off, or you can't afford to turn on your lights. Beans, tuna, water, canned anything you can eat. Do you think anything will be cheaper in 3 months?

hi_watt and Gizmo90 like this.
  3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm not sure there's been particularly a tube resurgence in the last couple of years. There's been pretty steady interest in tubes for a while, especially from the guitar market. New Sensor's Saratov factory in Russia is, I think, the biggest single operating tube factory, but of course there's lots of new tube production out of China and the Slovak Republic as well so I'm not sure we'll have no options for new production tubes if Russia goods in the US and Europe are cut off. But I like the best of the New Sensor tubes better than some of the other new production tubes I've heard, so yeah, I am worried about future availability of them. I have some power tubes in the hole but only one quad of them. I think probably it is a good idea to stock up on replacements now if you like New Sensor Russian-made tubes.

SandAndGlass, Big Blue and BayouTiger like this.
  4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think it's just a couple of years, but the tube demand seems to be a good bit larger than a decade ago or two ago. But it's possible that I was not looking. They certainly have moved into the more affordable end of the market, though I am sure they are still a tiny niche overall.

SandAndGlass and Lowrider75 like this.
  5. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

The invasion has started. You're gonna have much more to be concerned about than the availability and prices of vacuum tubes.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I love NOS tubes. This won't affect me in the slightest. :)

G E, SandAndGlass and Encore like this.
  7. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I thought I did not run any Russian tubes and then I remembered: My phono stage has two Sovtek 300b's that operate as rectifiers.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh, believe me! I closed on my vacation home last week with the idea that I could ramp down this year and retire. Now watching my retirement nest egg crater between the market and inflation. This thread was just a small distraction and actually was intended to be tongue in cheek in a "let them eat cake" kind of way.

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No, you are already into a severe shortage.

10. Strat-Mangler

The tubes I want are already rare and won't get rarer as a result of this. :D

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

But it might increase NOS tube shortages as the overall supply of many tube types decreases. However the balancing factor is that when people get scared, they tend to stop spending on non-necessities.

12. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Already seeing prices going up. Just ordered a quad of GL KT88s from a reseller that hasn't raised their prices yet.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

tube industry spending dozens of dollars on lobbying :laugh:

14. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

I cant wait until people get over tubes. They aren't good for the environment :hide:

15. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Just like toilet paper!

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

You never heard of black market tubes? ;)

17. sbo

sbo Well-Known Member

I have a swiss made Swissonor tube amp, using ECC81, ECC83, 6v6 and a GZ34. After having big quality issues with some russian tubes (tung sol) I bought 2 complete sets of NOS tubes (RCA, Philips Miniwatt, Telefunken). Good tubes last quite long, so I have a nice stock for many years :)

18. Strat-Mangler

Nothing is. People pollute, period. If you want people to stop polluting, they'll basically need to be wiped out completely. Nothing else will stop it.

Doctor Fine, Tullman and hi_watt like this.
  19. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

I buy all my tubes from Audio Research, and they are the kind of company that keep a lot of stock for their components on hand as they purchase and match them for that purpose.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  20. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

One more good reason to move to ss :)

hi_watt likes this.
  21. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

LKV Research solid state amplifiers are looking pretty good about now...:wiggle:

Crimson Witch and motorstereo like this.
  22. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

i agree a great as tubes and audio in general is, it is much more worrying where the Ukraine invasion may lead us to, i realise that to many it is a far off place but as the world is very much interconnected now, like with our music we are a global community that when 1 suffers we can all feel the impact, i for one had some super HPs from a small Ukrainian manufacturer and it makes me pause to think of him and his small company and hope they are all ok

WapatoWolf, tlowe, jonwoody and 5 others like this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Quite possibly, but that does not necessarily render more minor concerns no longer concerns.

24. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

I usually run them in winter when they help keep the house warm.

SandAndGlass, timind, SteevG and 2 others like this.
  25. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Actually the concern regarding vacuum tube shortages is old news: “There is a worldwide panic on availability of vacuum tubes”: EHX's Mike Matthews on the murky future of valve amps | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

In terms of what's unfolding on the world stage now, global markets are already reacting. You think gas and oil prices are high now, the longer this invasion lasts and the tougher the sanctions become, you, me and everybody else is gonna feel it their pocket book. Inflation was bad before the invasion. It's just gonna create more financial turmoil and no one knows where or when this is gonna end.

Personally, I'm not concerned about a tube shortage. It's a multi-billion dollar global industry. Somebody, somewhere is gonna step up to fill the void -- too much money to leave on the table. Besides, Russia's revenues aren't dependent on vacuum tube sales. As one analyst put it, Russia is a big gas station (oil & natural gas) - that's where the real money is and oil prices have surged above $100 per barrel, so Russia could care less if no one bought their vacuum tubes.

On the other hand, New Sensor Corporation might be looking at losing some revenue and or be facing some political pressure.

djost, hi_watt and Big Blue like this.