Law and Order - Season 21

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Feb 24, 2022.

1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone watch the new season of Law and Order?

The season premier was on this evening. Sam Waterston and Anthony Anderson returned from prior seasons. Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice) is a new cast member as Detective Frank Cosgrove. The other new cast members may take a bit of getting used to and the backgrounds of each were not flushed out in the first episode.

Overall, The first episode had a pretty good storyline. So far no big story arc to carryover between episodes, but it may happen. I always liked the prior seasons of L&O, so I’ll definitely stick with this one to see where it goes.

Thursday night on NBC are all Law and Order….L&O, SVU, Organized Crime.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Just watched the trailer.

The good; same sets, Sam Waterston, Anthony Anderson in a serious role, the look doesn't seem to be too far off the old series. I'll have to hope they'll resist editing it with jumpcuts every 5 secs.

The bad; the color saturation seems really pushed, the actress who plays the police captain should play a different part as I don't "buy" her, I'm irritated at a model playing the assistant DA - enough with that. The actor who plays the DA seems OK but I really enjoyed the performance of Linus Roache who has a very Michael Douglas quality to his face and voice (nevermind his performance) that suited the character.

rockclassics likes this.
  3. rockclassics

I agree on the actress - Carmryn Mannheim - playing the police lieutenant. She didn’t impress me either. I’m trying to remember what I have seen her in previously.

For some reason, I was thinking that Jeffrey Donovan would be the Asst. DA in this season. I could see him playing that role. Oh well.

As I said before, hopefully the new actors in this season will grow on me as it continues.

4. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I thought it was meh at best. Camryn Manheim didn’t seem right for the role of the police captain but that could just be me still seeing her as the lawyer on The Practice. Jeffrey Donovan is not the greatest actor in the biz but he’ll be ok. The highs for me are seeing the return of Bernard and McCoy and I was pleasantly surprised by Hugh Dancy as the prosecutor. It was at least good enough to watch another episode.

Matthew Tate and rockclassics like this.
  5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I was a bit disappointed...it felt a little awkward and disjointed. It was cool to see Carey Lowell (ADA Ross) make an appearance. I agree with some of the above posters, Camryn Manheim should have been cast as a defense lawyer or perhaps the ME. I miss Anita Van Buren.

Comet01, tkl7, LilacTeardrop and 2 others like this.
  6. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

It was cool seeing Jamie on the show. Dick Wolf never disappoints when it comes to resurrecting characters.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

I was a bit disappointed in the show too. Didn't seem to have the same energetic, stylish writing that we've come to expect from L&O . Also was a bit too 'preachy' and I agree about Camryn being misfit in the role. The new actors didn't really stand out as notable characters to me, which has always been a strength of L&O - though I'll give the new faces a chance .
    I' ll keep watching for a while , and hope the ' reboot ' improves in time .

We could use more time with McCoy, or any actors who can command the screen . ( Didn't always like McCoy, btw but he was a well defined character, subtly dramatic in the role , and you knew who he was .) Any chance we could bring Munch in from retirement ?

8. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I was watching the interrogation of the suspect and my first thought was that they didn't read her her Miranda rights. That used to be grounds for a dismissal.

9. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Camryn Manheim made several appearances in different roles in the old Law & Order.

10. rockclassics

Still is.

11. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I watched an episode from season 12 after last night’s season 21 premier and the classic episode made the new one even more disappointing. In addition to the acting comments already posted, I felt the acting of the guest stars was lacking. I didn’t care for the acting of the women who played the defendant and the victim’s wife. During the original run they seem to always get quality work from the guests. But I’ll stick with it for now.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Very true. Luckily, we have 20 seasons of episodes to pool from. The only actor I thought was weak was the original DA, Michael Moriarty. Just slurring his lines away and only displayed wooden acting. When Sam Waterston came onto the scene, it was a breath of fresh air. Oh, look! Someone who can actually emote and clearly enunciate! :)

smilin ed and rockclassics like this.
  13. rockclassics

My daughter watched it today and we discussed it this evening. Her first question was …. Why wasn’t SVU called in to this case?

She was not impressed with the episode storyline or the new characters. She also noted that there was no mention of anything during the last 12 years since the last episode of L&O. Where did these new characters come from, what is their backgrounds and what happened to the prior characters?

She plans to watch a few more episodes to see if it gets better.

14. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

20:00 NBC Law and Order (P) 0.7 5.542

20:00 ABC Station 19 0.7 4.777

20:00 CBS Young Sheldon 0.6 6.756

solid start , and Young Sheldon is no slouch

3 good shows , it is going to be interesting

15. peteham

peteham Senior Member

It’s tough for a show like Law & Order, which occasionally veered toward the precious, to now be produced in a culture where everything has to be about saying something, often in a heavy handed, performative way. Hopefully, Wolf will let the legacy of the show do the talking.

Comet01, Strat-Mangler and Jim N. like this.
  16. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Though flawed, I think it’s vastly better than “Law and Order: Organized Crime.” But, that’s a mighty low bar to clear!

17. brucewayneofgotham

Organized Crime is the best L&O series , ever created...easily

Veltri and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'd like to see this, faults and all. The only Law Order I enjoy is the original - notably the Adam Schiff days, but overall, probably whole McCoy was the prosecutor. While I I thought the best police team was Logan and Briscoe, the only pairing I didn't like was the one with Farina in it.

19. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Mannheim and current Organized Crime baddie,Dylan McDermott, were both on The Practice.

LilacTeardrop and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

It’s only one episode, but disappointed so far. The story (writing), acting and filming all fell way short of the series I’ve been addicted to for decades.

One of the things I loved about the series was the actors, those that had recurring roles like judges, and those that reappeared in different guises.

The best episodes had great twists, and humor. This had none of that.

Hopefully what I watched the other night was set up for character development, but I doubt it,

I had my hopes up high, too high apparently.

If this is my reaction, I can only imagine that of Harry from Resident Alien.

rockclassics likes this.
  21. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You mean L&O Criminal Intent, of course.

22. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Sarcasm?

smilin ed likes this.
  23. brucewayneofgotham

No seriously , honestly this board , is the 1st time I am seeing people thinking otherwise.

24. brucewayneofgotham

Good , but doesn't measure up to the Top 3 1-OC , 2-SVU , 3-original

25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I enjoyed the initial episode. Donovan takes some getting used to - never been
    a big fan. Better than `Organized Crime', which I do not like at all.

Klavier likes this.