The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Artificial Light

It's not mentioned anywhere on the Velvel CD as such, but this mix as released in 1998 is actually a Remix that was prepared for this release.

The original mix appeared on the B-Side of "Rock 'N' Roll Fantasy" (sic) but only in the UK and some other European countries, not the US. This original mix did see a CD release on an obscure 1993 European CD single of "Don't Forget To Dance" though it's faded a little earlier than the 7". The original mix remains unreleased in the US.

The original mix is a dry mix, whereas the remix has a lot of added reverb especially on the drums. There's also extra guitars and the stereo placement of the instruments is different. Overall it sounds more "processed" for lack of a better word. It's also longer with the middle instrumental section being repeated a second time and an even longer fade. Some here may call this overproduced, me included. The original mix is not on YouTube anywhere.

Most of the Velvel CD reissues have wrong credits concerning the bonus tracks and the Sleepwalker reissue is no exception. They also bungled the descriptions and release history for the two "On The Outside" mixes that are coming up as well, but we'll get to that. Something very "Kinksian" about all this since it occurs so often. Couldn't be any other way, could it?

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Well, it appears my playlist committee has been left in the dust!

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Good info
    Cheers mate

4. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

I intended to make this exact same point but got all caught up in writing about how this fits in with Ray's Crossdressing/Gay/bi-sexual culture stuff!

5. mark winstanley

Interesting perspective.
    The second half of the song does make it possible, but I hadn't really seen that in there.

6. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Nice!
    Perhaps you've noticed my avatar?

7. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

That 205 song playlist is when I want (basically) all Kinks on shuffle. Gimme it all, let's go!

I also have separate (more curated) lists of about 1 hour each covering these years for when I want to focus on certain periods!
    1964-1965
    1966-1971
    1972-1976
    1977- (in progress)

8. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Artificial Light: I haven’t read everyone’s comments but I agree with Fortuleo that, while a good song, sticking it at the end does throw off the balance of the record. I also agree with Croquetlawns that this would have been a good addition to the album, I personally would stick it in between Stormy Skies and Full Moon to add a little more rock To the otherwise mellow side BO the album. It is a bit insubstantial compared to the other songs on here, but I have no problem with that, What’s wrong with a little silly fun once in a while, the Kinks have plenty of other songs that are silly and fun, and we have all clapped and applauded them. …and yes I agree with our fearless leader that the topic immediately made me think of Underneath the Neon Lights from Soap Opera.

9. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I guess I am an ignoramus too. At least you have company in your ignoramisosity!

I think I speak for all of us ignoramuses (ignoramusi?) here when I say, keep up the good work.

10. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

I have ! I wanted to mention it, but forgot ! Great album too !

11. mark winstanley

That's me, ignunt mcnugget

12. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I have and like 19 out of 30 from Mark’s list and 9 of 13 from your list. definitely a great year for music for some of us.

13. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Headmaster, don’t make me take my trousers down. We was just having a laugh.

I come to you cap in hand, tugging my forelock. You weren’t really the quarry here. What popped into my head was how Tori Amos (and other artists) sometimes refer to their songs as their babies or children. Then that morphed into songs being students (some struggling). Others seemed to like the song more but you, as the headmaster, were vital to the analogy. I’m in agreement with you 90% of the time or thereabouts and of course there is no wrong or right.

Right about now I would like to commend you for the great service you provide for us with your thread maintenance. Your intricate song capsules make me, more often than not, gain new perspectives on songs I’ve been living with for decades. There is always song angle or nuance to be mulled over. That Johnny Rogan song-by-song book, about the size of a jewel case and kept with my Kinks cd collection, contains a paragraph or two on every song but can’t hold a candle to your body of work. Do you have a publisher? An editor? Do you want one? And of course, let’s not forget about the input of the other stalwarts . Even though I don’t post nearly as often as I’d like, this thread is something I always look forward to. Which, coming from someone with anhedonic tendencies, is noteworthy.

Well, in lieu of an apple, I will relate to you, unbidden, my two favorite Australian acts:
    Nick Cave & the Go Betweens. Any chance of your next thread being on one of those. I think most Kinks fans would take to the Go Betweens. If you lead, I will follow.

Headmaster, this is my confession: I also have a soft spot for another Davies...Iva and his band Icehouse. Man of Colours has some tasty pop confections within it, don’t you find?

Well, we now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  14. mark winstanley

It's all good.

I did a Nick Cave thread a couple of years ago... all four of us enjoyed it lol

15. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

This is what is so interesting about this thread is we can all have drastically different tastes, but have agreed on so much from The Kinks. This is why it is inevitable that more disagreements are in store for us as we continue on.

This is not a knock on you, but I don’t like any of these records. At least not enough to have in my collection and frequently listen to. It’s likely you would feel the same way about many albums from 1977 that I would post as favorites. Yet, because we both love The Kinks, and I’m sure other bands, I think we can still be friends :)

I feel like we are all friends here which makes this thread a joy to participate in for so long!

16. palisantrancho

Had I known about it I would have joined in. It’s funny that around that same time I was doing my own Nick Cave deep dive. I decided I needed to find out why people liked him so much. I never understood his appeal. He came off like a pompous poser to me when I was younger. I made the effort to listen to every album of his multiple times to form a better opinion. At the end of it, I was proven wrong and I now own several of his albums and most of his collection digitally. This deep dive paid off huge and I quit talking uninformed nonsense about his music. I’m a fan.

Have fun at the show! I would love to eventually see him live.

17. mark winstanley

Cheers mate

It's easy to misunderstand Cave, he comes off as a little odd. It's a great catalog.....
    Essential Cave for me would be

Birthday Party - Prayers On Fire

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Your Funeral My Trial
    The Good Son
    Henry's Dream
    No More Shall We Part
    Abattoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus
    Push The Sky Away
    Skeleton Tree

but there's nothing I dislike, it's a stunning catalog really over 43 years

18. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Artificial Light
    I liked this one the moment I heard it recently. I think it's a shame this wasn't included on Sleepwalker. It would have lightened up that album quite a bit. Remove Mr Big Man would be my suggestion. Or shorten up about 1/2 the songs and you could fit this on easily.:laugh:

it's funny, for me I feel like this song could be an older Kinks song (like I'm hearing that TRex kind of guitar and like the harmonica making an appearance) but I'm hearing strains of what is to come when they hit it big.

I don't need the lyrics to be heavy and meaningful. I think this is a lovely story of being human. How we put on different faces for the world and apparently this gal feels most comfortable and real under the disco lights. Maybe she's getting lost in the music and that lights her up from the inside as well.
    ----------------
    Sleepwalker (the album)
    So glad to take a close look at this album. I think the low point is Mr Big Man for me. I don't like vicious Ray with no humor. I remember sort of liking Sleepless Night, but I can't not remember the tune.

In recent days I have had several of the songs on the bouncing around in my head. That's a good sign. Today it was Full Moon.

I think that the album suffers from production choices. Where are Micks drums? I'm no expert in sound engineering, but I do believe that whatever was done or not done on this album sort of flattened out the sound (not a very technical description, sorry).

And though I enjoyed the backing vocals on several songs(a few times they were sublime)...I do miss Dave's voice backing up Ray. If he was there, he was not that clear to me. I think Dave's backing vocals add a certain edge. But I do think Dave gets a good opportunity to go crazy on his guitar which is a great thing.

If I was grading this album, I'd give it a B+.

19. mark winstanley

An added bonus for the Wilco fans. Jeff Tweedy is playing on Saturday Night, so we'll be staying Friday night after all. The Mrs wouldn't miss Jeff or Wilco lol

20. mark winstanley

If you can find it, watch the Distant Sky concert video

21. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Artificial Light: I thought I'd heard them all! Always great to unearth a new Kinks or Ray song, there are so many odd tracks lying around and they are always worth hearing. After only two listens: It's odd, it's weird, I like it. I had the same interpretation of the lyrics as @Martyj. The think the unexpected conglomeration of sounds and styles works in that respect. Streaming services have made it easy to be a Kinks completist, but there is still occasionally the odd song that you have to chase down the old fashioned way, which is fun.

22. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

What, no Boatman's Call?????!!!!! :)

23. mark winstanley

I prefer No More Shall we part... I had to cut somewhere, otherwise I'd list them all.
    More importantly for hardcore Cave fans, no Tender Prey or From Her To Eternity... not a bad album among them. Murder Ballads probably my least favourite, but still worth having.

24. palisantrancho

Tender Prey is among my favorites. Let Love In is another good one. Like you said, soon enough you would just be listing all of them.

25. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

In earlier days Lou wrote about nightclubs in the lovely After Hours... “If you close the door, the night could last forever… leave the sunshine out and say hello to never” and “people look well in the dark”.