13th Floor Elevators' debut album - best version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr Sam, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more" Thread Starter

I've read that several versions are currently available, I'd like to know which one is the best deal (sound + bonus material)
    Thanks in advance :)

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It has been reported that none of them are that great. They are all dubbed from the rare original vinyl, but some people settle with the Collectables, others settle for the Fuel 2000, others settle for the Snapper UK issues, etc.

3. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more" Thread Starter

Thanks!

I guess the cheaper disc will do ;)

4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I bought my CD on Collectable's in 1993 along with other International Artists titles at that time and have never upgraded. Was this album supposed to sound this way (lo-fi) with all the dropouts and such? Anybody heard an I.A. original to compare with the various CD issues? Also I noticed when I ordered a copy of Bubble Puppy's album on CD for a customer back in 1997 it had a notation on the back insert that stated "digitally remastered". Mine is not remastered. Did Collectable's do this with other I.A. titles as well or any other older releases on their label? Thanks!

Anthony

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have a beat-up copy of the original IA album, and it doesn't sound that hot. Everything is bathed in spring reverb.

6. florette69

florette69 Forum Resident

The first two albums were issued in the UK on vinyl by Radar way back in the late '70s. I understand the same source tapes licensed from Lelan Rogers were used by Charly for their CD box set. No 13th Floor Elevators album will ever be a hifi experience, as the recordings are ultra-compressed with a shedload of reverb, so it's a waste of time and effort searching for some kind of sonic nirvana. However, the Charly set sounds as good as the Radar vinyl pressings, which is pretty good. The live stuff (even the official album) sounds horrid in every incarnation.

7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I wonder if the Mono mix sounds any better than that nasty Stereo mix....

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The only Thirteenth Floor Elevators track that sounds good to me is You're Gonna Miss Me on the Nuggets collection. I've had copies of the first album on Decal, and compilations on Collectibles and Fuel 2000.

How does this Roky comp sound?
    I Have Always Been Here Before: The Roky Erickson Anthology

9. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

The mono mix sounds much better.

10. florette69

Depends how twisted you are. The first two albums were created with the intention of simulating a trip, or at least some effects thereof, and the cavernous stereo mixes do succeed best in that way. It can't be argued, however, that all Elevators mono mixes are tougher, more garage sounding. I have a mono W/L Easter Everywhere which is a totally different experience from the familiar stereo version. The 45s also have considerably more low end.

The Decal represses referred to above were very poor quality. The earlier Radar issues of the first two albums are excellent (better vinyl than the IA originals). As an aside, I've never been too impressed with any Collectables CDs - my copy of the Bubble Puppy album had a really bad tape error which was also present on two replacment copies. The Italian Sunspots CD is far better.

Going back to the original question, if you're looking for a CD of the first album, I really don't think you can go wrong with the Charly box set - all albums, lots of bonus tracks, dirt cheap. No original artwork might be the only negative.

11. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

the only LP version I have is a Greek WEA pressing which seems licensed from Radar (therefore it should be a copy of that master). One thing I have always noticed is that it sounds quite different from all CDs I have heard, in that it has a lot more top end, and maybe less bass. I have now made a needledrop of it, and will compare to the Charly box set version.

anyway, back to topic... yes, the Charly box set seems a good choice (pretty cheap too, at least when I bought it :cool: )

Doc

12. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

i found a used copy of this in vegas a year-and-a-half ago. it sounds good and is an excellent overview of his career.

also, those in scandinavia and the west coast of the US keep an eye open for tour dates:

http://www.rokyerickson.net/tour.html

i've seen him twice so far this year and can't wait to see him again. highly recommended.

later, chris

13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Hello florette69,

Thanks for the info! Was this album intentionally or unintentionally recorded to sound this way ala the dropouts, pops etc. If it was I have no problems with my CD. The Sonics CD I have "The Ultimate Sonics" has a notation in the liner notes that the various sounds were intentional. This CD sounds rough as well. But if this was the artists original intention or error in the studio due to bad recording conditions/equipment etc. or LSD abundant,:laugh: then I have no problems with my CD and won't waste the money to upgrade since I have read IIRC that Roky doesn't get any royalties of his I.A. material. Is this true?

Anthony

14. florette69

No, I think that's just the Collectables way of doing things. I haven't heard their Elevators CDs, but I'm familiar with several other titles from their catalogue and they frequently seem to use poor mastering sources. Quality control is seriously amiss too because that fault on the Bubble Puppy album was so obvious - it sounded like the mech chewed the tape!

The Charly CDs sound very good. They're not hifi, but they contain no additional quirks and reward repeated listening.

With regards to your last point, Roky receives few royalties from any product on any label bearing his name, other than the Shout Factory double CD. Charly pays him songwriting royalties, but retains publishing rights. Bearing in mind the relatively small annual sales of Elevators and solo material divided over a surfeit of labels around the world, and the various legal issues relating to Roky's health, it's a complex issue. I would say if you want complete albums, go for the Charly set (good sound and Roky sees at least some money); if you want a career overview, seek out the Shout Factory set.

Hope that helps.

15. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Hey florette69,

Thanks for the info. Too bad about Roky's money issues!:shake: I had a friend who had an Elevators box on Decal. Is this the same as the Charly box? He traded his in and bought the Collectable's CD's. He thought the Collectable's CD's sounded better, but he only had a boom box for listening. I guess original I.A. vinyl or the UK 1979 Radar reissues are about the best route to go for this stuff. Funny thing is the best sounding I.A. release on CD that I have was never issued on Collectable's. The Golden Dawn - Power Plant CD I have on EVA sounds good to me! Thanks again for your insight! BTW, I like your avatar. Are you a member of the Source family?:laugh: ;)

Anthony

16. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I don't know why Rhino or Hip O Select doesn't try to track down the master tapes and put out the three albums in some kind of reissue program. There's more than enough interest from anyone interested in garage rock or '60s enthusiasts. The current CDs (even the Charley ones) don't sound all that great. Roky's vocals are buried in the mix and the overall murkiness is overwhelming.

By the way: Everyone interested in the band should check out the new book on the Elevators here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240701&pf_rd_i=507846

17. florette69

Yes, but that's how they're supposed to sound! Any attempt at remastering would need to retain that disorientating web of sound otherwise you might as well listen to a Big Brother album. The mono mixes are definitely punchier and clearer, but I have to say I much prefer the confusing, cavernous sound of the stereo versions. Bull Of The Woods sounds really odd after the mixed-up madness of the first two albums.

18. florette69

The Decal issues of International Artists albums all sounded pretty rough to me. Mediocre pressings and poor masters. I only know of the vinyl issues. The Charly stuff sounds considerably better. They did a good job with that box set - thoroughly comprehensive collection and very good sound.

19. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I just ordered the Charly set. Is there any difference between the 2002 Charly and the 2005 Snapper versions listed on the interweb?

I have the first album in its "24 bit" version and it sounds pretty bad--probably not as good as a straight needle drop. However, You're Gonna Miss Me on the High Fidelity soundtrack sounded like it was from a good tape. Are the tapes lost or is the issue legal limbo? Someone told me that John Sinlcair, of all people, has the masters.

20. Feelflows

Feelflows New Member

I was always under the impression that in the case of Psychedelic Sounds of the 13FE mono was the primary mix. I know for EE the stereo mix is considered the primary mix, even though the mono mix is unique (and extremely cool).
    All CD issues are pretty crappy. I think the best way to hear the stereo mix is actually the Psychedelic Sounds of the 13FE 8-track. Mono vinyl after that...avoid all vinyl reissues like the plague. The mono Psychedelic Sounds is nothing short of a revelation.

21. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I Have Always Been Here Before: The Roky Erickson Anthology has the best sounding Elevators tracks released on CD - unfortunately, it's only a small selection of tracks, you still need the complete albums. My dub of the mono vinyl sounds better than the charly IMO.

22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

At one time I had all the Elevator CD releases I could find - like 3 or 4 of each. I finally kept just the Collectibles as they're clearly unfutzed with and the closest to the original vinyl (which I also have, in stereo). I also have the Sunspots and Fuel CD versions of the first album, but note: these are definitely EQ'd. At first, this sounded kind of nice but now it bugs the heck out of me.

The various Charly releases are also all EQ'd. Someone decided they'd give you some low end built into them, and they sound more 'digital' than any other copy IMO. I have the three CD box set with the various live sets and the outtakes. This one is tolerable.

But worst of all - the digipak Charly series that came out a few years ago have some of the worst noise reduction processing I've ever heard on the CD format. I mean, you can actually hear it being turned on & off, its that bad. Avoid like the plague.

I've heard there is a good needledrop CD of the mono first album that was once available through a collector or fan site but can't vouch for it. The mono original vinyl is pretty nice sounding, I prefer it to the stereo a bit.

The original IA vinyl is the way to go on the Elevators if you play vinyl and can find a copy. That IA vinyl tends to have some ticks & pops (it was a budget minded label) but the sound is unmistakable. I've never heard any later pressings that have the same sonics, even though the vinyl is 'cleaner.' FWIW I'd stick with the Collectibles CDs.

23. LFSDoc

here's a comparison between a needledrop of my Greek WEA/Radar LP (first 25 secs) and the Charly box set CD; it's only a 320 mp3 but I think it's enough to give you an idea...
    http://rapidshare.com/files/60049190/elevatorLP-CD.mp3

best
    Doc

24. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Is the Charly box mono or stereo? Does it include The Spades single?
    If not mono, best ceedee source for mono?

Thanks.

25. LFSDoc

the box is stereo, and it does include the Spades single.
    A mono cdr is available in trading circles, not officially though
    Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.