The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Father Christmas"

I'd never heard this track until I checked it on YouTube a couple of months ago. I don't recall ever having heard it played as part of the usual parade of Xmas songs in this country, either on the radio or in a supermarket, or even on compilations. Not that I've particularly gone out seeking this stuff in recent years...

Anyway, it's a cut above the usual suspect Xmas songs - it sounds much more like The Kinks of the next three albums than the previous one. It's fun and playful and easily accessible, and much more in line with the power pop of the time.

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Mark is right that musically this more like power pop than pure punk, but in terms of message this kinda fills the gap where a major punk Christmas single statement should have gone. I remember Joe Strummer saying that the Sex Pistols should have done an Xmas single at the end of 1977 to cap of their classic first 4, and that ‘you can almost imagine it’ (and you can) but they didn’t, and in lieu of any socially relevant subversive punk Xmas song from the young set (initial punk Christmas efforts tended to be sped up versions of standards, eg: The Dickies ‘Silent Night’) The Kinks stepped up to the plate having just recorded the least punk album of their career and hit a home run. It did kinda fail in the short term (I do think an attempted Xmas anthem that mentions Santas non existence in the opening line is kinda shooting itself in the foot in terms of immediate all ages appeal) but it has deservedly matured into a genuine long game hit (a bit like ‘Strangers’) and second tier festive standard.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  3. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

Father Christmas

This isn't really a Christmas song. This is a seasonal version of Ray's piercing social commentary, narrating the experience of the holiday from a working-class perspective. Instead of sleigh rides, grinning snowmen, and blazing yule logs, we get machine guns, unemployment, and a mugging. Dressed up in one of Ray's jolliest melodies and Dave's most searing guitar work since Schoolboys. I know it scans better, but it's interesting how Ray, who was courting the American market at the time, used the British term for the red-suited fat guy with the white beard. Didn't matter; this is actually one of the best-known Kinks records in the US.

The video is fun if you ignore the atrocious lip-syncing. We get one last glimpse at John the Baptist.

To my ears, this is the best non-traditional "rock" Christmas-themed song of all time, just edging out Ray's future paramour's "2000 Miles".

4. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Whenever I think about Father Christmas, I hear the Roy Bittan / Springsteen intro in my mind, and I forget how much of a guitar fest this track is. It’s one of the most riff-driven Kinks in ages, I'll even argue it's grittier in its own unassuming glockenspiel way than the rockier Schoolboys in Disgrace songs. Lyrics-wise, could it be the most biting attack on the whole Christmas consumerist frenzy ever released as a holiday single? I’m not versed enough in holiday culture to assert it but it’s probably not too far off that mark (edit : hmm, just listened to the Kevin Bloody Wilson tune, and ok, it may take the cake). The “my father needs a job, who cares about your stupid toys” message hits hard in terms of bitter irony and social class sharpness. It’s quite close to Volodymyr Zelensky’s “I need ammunition, not a ride” spectacular retort, when offered an extraction from Kiev two weeks ago. Why should I care about the sweet ecumenical “holiday spirit” if it doesn’t fill my real needs and assess the severity of my problems? Probably the reason it wasn't a hit, but fantastic stuff nonetheless.

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Father Christmas:
    Well, Mark’s introductory essay had me snickering and doing my best to suppress early morning laughter (so as not to wake the household). Nicely laid out, Mark.

The song itself is fantastic. I agree with Mark that this is a stand alone single and doesn’t belong on the album. And that’s just because of the subject matter.

The lyrics are clever as hell; biting, poignant, hysterically funny.

And the promotional video is a lot of fun.

The song gets a rave review from me.

6. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

This is another 70s Kinks track Weird Al ‘took inspiration’ from on his 1986 Polka Party LP. Check the intro!

7. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Great song. Great stand alone single.

It's widely known in the US, having grown in awareness over the years thanks to numerous "best Christmas rock song" polls type stuff. Even though in America we don't know the guy as 'Father Christmas'; he's Santa

Yeah. It's not punk. Definitely its the harder edge of power pop.

I wish the "Steve Austin" lyric were something different. It gives the song, in that place, an unnecessary very specific time stamp of a merchandizing thing that was only in vogue for 1 Christmas season. Otherwise the rest of the lyrics are timeless. It's a flaw, but a slight one.

8. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

Father Christmas: I don't know if my local FM radio stations were playing this that Christmas season. They might have. But surely, the remaining years of the 70s and thereafter, this song was played constantly during the holiday season on those rock stations. It felt similar to Springsteen's live version of "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town" that radio played this time of year, too. (I don't recall that being available on record for awhile, although I vaguely recall it coming it on a various artists collection of some sort eventually.) FM radio had that loose collection of classic-rock Christmas songs (like "I Believe in Father Christmas" by Greg Lake and "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John and Yoko ) that hit heavy rotation every November. Hearing all of them takes me straight back to that time, late 70s, driving around in severely used AMC cars in the winter, just driving, while Christmas still had those lingering childhood senses of excitement and wonder. This was, probably still is, my favorite "rock" Christmas song, although I later developed a healthy penchant for all sorts of Christmas songs. Even the kids into heavy metal seemed to like this song!

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Being a non traditionalist as far as Christmas songs go I have 2 rocking favourites, this and a little Chuck Berry cover........

Run Rudolph Run
    Keith Richards

[​IMG]

10. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Just to embellish my own comment here: the "Steve Austin Outfit" referenced is NOT the wrestler 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin, which is probably what most people hearing the song today assume. That guy didn't arrive on the scene until the 1990's.

The 'Steve Austin' Ray is referring to is the main character from the US TV show "The Six Million Dollar Man," which reached its merchandizing peak in the mid-70's, the marketing of which was ramped up during the Christmas season. Given that Ray is pairing this lyric with "...sister('s) cuddly toy" he is possibly intending--though not saying--a Steve Austin Action Figure, as those were very popular among boys. An actual outfit wasn't a thing, except perhaps as a Halloween costume. A Halloween costume would be an unlikely--though not impossible--thing for a kid to want for Christmas.

But I may be wrong, as I wonder if in the British vernacular a toy "outfit" is something different than what we understand it to be in America?

markelis, Smiler, Brian x and 5 others like this.
  11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

No, outfit is the same, I have no idea what a Steve Austin outfit would consist of!

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

13. All Down The Line

I don't recall it down under but I guess the Steve Austin outfit for kids had to be his red running outfit cum tracksuit, anyone recall it?

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

That’s right. Shown in eBay listing above.

15. All Down The Line

Thanks Zeki you beat me to it man!
    So it was not a reference to an outfit for a boy but a replacement one for the action figure!
    I had the doll but never heard of being able to order replacement outfits I mean to need one you would have had to have wear and tear, wet the bed too often or perhaps lost it when nuding up with a Jamie Sommers (biopic woman) doll?

Zeki, mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  16. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Well, based on our discussions, I'd say 99,9% of the thread participants are old enough to be more familiar with the 6 million dollar man than with the "stone cold" wrestler (who probably chose his "stage name" because of the 6 million dollar man himself anyway, being more or less the same age group as most of us here).
    The @Zeki link is the toy (which I had). Below is a picture of the kid outfit (which I wish I'd had !). You'll note it's the french version. I haven't found the english one, but I figured it would be fine in such a french-friendly thread company. And it allows me to share this weirdest piece of trivia with you all: in french, the TV show was called "l'homme qui valait trois milliards". Yep, the "3 billion dollar man". And no, it's not because of the currency exchange rate back then, somebody must've just thought it sounded better… The range of subjects we cover thanks to the Kinks and @mark winstanley threads! Never ceases to amaze me…

[​IMG]

17. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

I grew up in Puerto Rico, and the show there was called "El Hombre Nuclear". Nuclear Man. Could have been a good Kinks song title. Or a sequel to TMBG's "Particle Man".

18. All Down The Line

That sighting is a first for me but it's a bit unsettling somehow like I'd almost prefer to unsee it!

19. Jasper Dailey

Jasper Dailey Forum Resident

@Fortuleo you have nailed it, the half-baked chorus thesis seems to have some holes in it -- maybe @The late man can provide a better unified theory! I 100% agree with you, Father Christmas is an absolute joy. Just everybody in the band doing what only they can do as an ensemble; those riffs, those lyrics, those fills. I am alarmed that Fortuleo (edit: thanks for the clarification below ajsmith!) has mentioned that it's not actually Mick on this track; I guess that doesn't surprise me so much because the drumming is just so high octane. Well, regardless, this track certainly deserves its place in the Christmas pantheon. Next candidate for inclusion: Postcard from London! :D

Thinking about it... was the Father Christmas/Prince of the Punks the last top notch Kinks single (when considering both sides?) I'm really asking, I'm not familiar enough with their discography from the singles perspective (and I'll also acknowledge that plenty of Avids didn't completely share my love for Prince of the Punks, so they may not agree with my assessment of this one as top notch.)

ETA: Off topic, but that Santa Monica '77 setlist Mark posted is NICE. I will definitely have to listen to that later.

20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Hinman lists Avory as being on ‘Father Christmas’ BUT it was mentioned by Dave on Facebook a few years back that it was a session drummer and given 1) the amount Avory was absent during the Misfits sessions and 2) how different the concentrated proto pop-punk attack on the skins is on the record compared to the more sedate way Avory performs it on the live version, I’m inclined to believe him.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It actually sounds pretty good too

22. mark winstanley

I don't know.... I'll only know what's on the singles when we get there lol...
    Some great a-sides, but I have no idea what the b's were

23. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Ah ah, my theories are challenged ! My modest take on Ray's chorusses was only that a certain type of Ray songs have chorusses that are weaker than the verses. It's a theory with a very modest ambition. I'm a great lover of many Ray Davies chorusses, and this one is great !
    I don't have much time these days, I will only say this is one of the only Christmas songs that I can stand. My history is probably quite different from Mark's, but I quite agree with much of his opinion on Christmas and the red guy. My wife insists on lying to the kids about it and it's a big problem for me... I hate lying, especially to my offspring ! But I totally understand Ray when he says he believed in Father Christmas while knowing it was actually Daddy. Many children pass through this phase. I read or heard some experts saying that the lie is not a big problem as long as you leave it in the realm of imagination; problems arise when you invent fake answers to the kid's letter and stage the thing a little too much. I still don't see the point of this collective madness.

But now the real problem is, do I fit it in alt Sleepwalker or alt Misfits ?

24. mark winstanley

I don't know about this track, but Dave's mate Nick Trevisik plays drums on three Misfits tracks, and Clam Cattini does drum overdubs....
    but we'll get to all that tomorrow

25. mark winstanley

Going purely by the sound and mix, it's Misfits all the way.... which is probably why it ended up there on the reissue