The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You can say whatever you like about a 20 year old Ray Davies setting the stage for punk rock but a 30-odd year old Ray Davies was no more capable of writing a convincing punk rock song than any of his contemporaries. Speeding up the tempo, stepping on the fuzz pedals and barking in a Cockney accent is not enough. You can call it new wave or punk rock or whatever it all sounds to me like the equivalent of a dad embarrassing his teenage kids by trying to talk to their friends about, "So what are you guys listening to these days?". Yes, Ray is too much of a balladeer and that's why the ballads, or more reflective numbers, are usually the best songs on these albums.

2. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

Father Christmas is definitely one of my favorite rock era Christmas songs along with others like 2000 Miles, Fairytale of New York, Christmas Wrapping, and I Believe in Father Christmas. I'm pretty sure that WNEW in New York played this when it came out. I am sure that I loved it the first time I heard it, from the socially conscious, cynical lyrics, to the crunchy guitar, and driving beat, alternating with more Christmassy sounds. I probably enjoyed it more than any track on Sleepwalker at the time. By the way if you want a really cynical Christmas song, you can't beat Miles Davis' Blue Xmas (To Whom It May Concern).

Thanks @Ex-Fed for reminding me that Ray did this at the Brooklyn College show, I was at that show as well. I can't really remember specific Kinks shows after the three concept album shows, but I saw them at least six times in total. Sure wish I had saved ticket stubs.

3. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Father Christmas

I find it fascinating that some folks here haven't heard this song until this week! This has been a longtime favorite of mine on the Kristmas playlist, and I think I discovered it either late in high school or early in college. It's been on my Christmas party playlist for many years. Until this year, it was my only Kinks song on my Christmas playlist. But, I have since added Holiday and Holiday Romance because its my Christmas playlist and I'm an adult who can put whatever he wants on his Christmas playlist.

This song is so fun to listen to and sing along to. The lyrics can be downright depressing, or angsty coming from the point of view of one of those "kids who got nothing". Although I am sad it's not Mick on the recording, I love the snare going crazy in those sections. Dave's ripping his riffs. Just an incredible song, which also happens to be a Christmas song. Not much more to add.

4. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

That’s a mighty fine Xmas playlist you got there, partner.

5. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Father Christmas
    I have listened to this song though it violates my rules of NO XMAS SONGS before Thanksgiving rule. :laugh: Thank goodness it's a good one.

Up until this past year, I was sort of "meh" about this song. Maybe because it sounded too aggressive for Xmas. Even as an atheist, I had traditional Xmas songs that I liked and this was not one of them. LOL

So with my bias, this past year I decided to give it a careful listen and I LOVED it. I would expect nothing less than Ray to deliver an unexpected song. Thank you, Ray! you did it again.

I read some of the reviews of this song...and is this is a "punk" song? no. There are about 6 bands that you can say are punk and then quickly it turned into poppunk or whatever you want to call it. I liken this song to a song by the Buzzcocks, who I adore. Has a lovely edge to it...a wall noise...with melody. I'm very bad at the musical descriptions. So many of you on here write so beautifully. I wish I could do the same. But my ears love this song and so wish this wasn't a Christmas song. I want a little more of THIS.

But I have accepted that Ray can deliver in nearly every category of "popular music" (whatever that is). It's quite remarkable.

6. Wondergirl

Good take. Yes, the drums are incredible. Sounds like a machine gun going off. And Dave just going off. They had FUN on this recording which comes through. I don't know if I want a whole album of "fun" but it is refreshing. Not so self-conscious.

and yes, you are an adult. Take control of that playlist, dude.

7. Wondergirl

eeek! HARSH.

8. Wondergirl

:D:laugh: A fangirl's gotta fangirl. I did not mind the official video and warmed up to it quite readily. Up until the end of 2021, I'm not sure I saw the video. It seems the Kinks social media really promoted it this past holiday season and it worked...for me.

the video matches the song quite well. Crazy angles in every way.

9. Wondergirl

"Totally"
    I so loved that show. I wanted to succeed but it had a short life. I'll never understand it.
    "Devo is my 9th favorite group"

10. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Apparently the demise of Square Pegs was due to a very party hardy cast of teens out of control and not ratings per se. Personally, I'm not sure why that was a bad thing! Being around that age at the time.

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  11. Wondergirl

I hadn't heard that. Interesting.

12. Wondergirl

Having said that...I believe that the actor who played Johnny Slash died of an overdose.

13. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Father Christmas:

Its not often I chip in this late, but i’ve had a long day running around in New York City in the rain, sleet and snow (right now I am missing Miami Beach terribly). …but I gotta put my two cents in, because I LOVE this song. I’m not sure if it’s my favorite Xmas song, Kermit the Frog’s Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer also rank pretty high for me, But it’s twisted sense of humor puts it in my top five Christmas songs of all time for certain. I also happen to think it’s a darn great Kinks song, Ray has his twisted view as always, and Dave and the boys are bashing away in a fashion that always gets my feet tapping.

PS, Wondergirl, I so agree with you. Nothing annoys me more than anything to do with Christmas prior to Thanksgiving. But once I’ve had my turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and bourbon pecan pie, then all bets are off!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  14. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I picked up the complete series on DVD a few years ago for $2.99. I never saw it when it was originally on because I was preoccupied w/college back then. My favorite episode was the one that had Devo on it. Frankly, I would have told those girls just to hang out w/Johnny & his comic buddy & the heck w/the "popular" kids. Anyway, here's something I found in the net about Square Pegs and why it got cancelled:

No One Remembers 'Square Pegs', But The Drama Behind The Scenes Is Unforgettable

15. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Now, now, Avid Markelis, it was merely a couple of inches of fluffy white snow that we had here today. You shoulda been here several weeks ago when we had 6 inches of snow a couple of days after a 60 degree day! :D

16. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

But not Holiday In Waikiki? :mad:

And Australia makes a reference to "sunny Christmas day"...

17. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Father Christmas. Love it. That is all.

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Well it is really odd singing about snow and snuggling next to a fire when it's 120 degrees lol

19. ThereOnceWasANote

"Father Christmas" is a great song period. It's the Kinks making a racket. A sound I love. Biting, humorous social commentary lyrics that tell a story of a sympathetic character. Tull's Christmas Song tackles similar subject matter regarding the haves and have nots of the holiday season. It's a well-deserved and earned Kristmas Klassic. Too bad the Kinks never made an album cut from the same cloth musicwise.

Misfits coming after this led by the laconic, slightly morose teetering on Yacht-Rock "Rock N Roll Fantasy", must've been somewhat letdown after the direction this song hinted that the Kinks could've went.

Father Christmas does not feature the buzzsaw guitars of the Ramones or the turned inside-out classic rock guitar riffola like the Sex Pistols (exhibit A: Submission main riff progression and Skynyrd's Gimme Back My Bullets) or early Clash's deconstruction of classic rock guitar but Father Christmas musically sounds pretty punk to these ears.

It's certainly as punk as anything the Clash did post-1977/78 or much of Never Mind The Bullocks or a song like "Havana Affair" on the Ramones debut. Also "Clash City Rockers" is based on the Hardway riff from a couple of years before. Are the Kinks on Father Christmas really that far removed from "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker"? If anything the Ramones sound worlds tighter and slicker on Sheena than the borderline shambolic Kinks on Father Christmas, for example.

There sure aren't that many Christmas songs that you could pogo or slam dance too. In the right circumstances this one of them.

Maybe Mick Avory's best drumming. He really owns this song in an almost Keith Moon sort of way. The interplay between his drums and Dave's guitar sorties reflects the combativeness of their fractious relationship. They are having a fight using guitar and drums.

The bells add that Phil Spector Christmas vibe and Ray sings, growls, shouts, and uses his voice as an instrument while beautifully especially on the poignant "have yourself a merry christmas but remember the kids who got nothing..." verses.

Another character for Ray the actor to add his acting arsenal: Dept Store Santa.

Full disclosure: I love all the bands, songs and albums I mention here. Well, I like, not love, Skynyrd.

20. ThereOnceWasANote

That's the article I read too. The Bill Murray story is classic.

21. ThereOnceWasANote

I think that's another reason I like Word of Mouth so much.

22. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

:winkgrin: I actually considered those! Holiday is a throwback sound and standard style song that could fit in with other “classic” Christmas songs that lack sleigh bells. Holiday Romance has a bouncy hop to it that works as social party music.

But Holiday in Waikiki sounds too tropical themed to me, and technically Australia’s use of Christmas is so brief and not central to the song, plus the long jam isn’t suited for a Christmas party. I think about these things way more than I should!

23. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

There is debate as to whether Avory is the drummer here as discussed in earlier posts today. Hinman lists Mick, but Dave says Mick was absent from this session. No other info has come out on this, but it doesn’t sound like Avory in my opinion so I’ll go with Dave here. It’s a great drum track and song regardless.
    Disclosure: I like “A Rock ‘N’ Roll Fantasy” too.

Brettlowden, Wondergirl, Zeki and 8 others like this.
  24. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Who's the bass player in the video ?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Andy Pyle, bassist from late ‘76 to early ‘78.