Dutch Record Stores Not In Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Marc Perman, Feb 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam this spring and will of course be visiting the local record shops, including Concerto and Record Friend, where I've had great luck on prior trips. For used rock vinyl, what other cities or even neighborhoods beyond central Amsterdam have a good concentration of stores? I'll be in Rotterdam because I've never been there, and I'll miss the Utrecht record fair, but all suggestions appreciated!

2. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Utrecht has some nice stores with a good selection of second hand stuff: Plato and Dig It, which are also located fairly closed to each other. Leiden has a couple of good second hand stores as does Deventer. Check out this website for more info. Have fun in our fair country!

Buddybud and Marc Perman like this.
  3. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Hi Marc,
    First of all I should say I'm not really aware of the most recent developments in NL, but there's a few places I know of that may be of interest to you.

CAVEAT: Many stores have ceased to exist lately and many websites are not reliable at all these days.

There's a chain called Velvet that has a couple of small stores in several larger cities around NL.

My personal favourites are Waaghals in Arnhem and Nijmegen, as well as Sounds in the southern city of Venlo.
    The latter IMO being the most interesting store for used vinyl, apart from Concerto in A'dam.

In Amsterdam itself the only other stores I know of currently, that may be of interest are Record Mania and City Records.

Cheers and good hunting!
    Sq.

Marc Perman likes this.
  4. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

Some years ago I used to visit Demonfuzz Records and Plaatboef in Rotterdam.
    Close to each other, both at Nieuwe Binnenweg at numbers 86 and 81a.
    I don't know what you're looking for, but it may be interesting for you.
    I still treasure a NM first UK pressing of XTC's English Settlement for €10.

Marc Perman likes this.
  5. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Arguably the greatest hidden Dutch treasure of used vinyl albums and singles is Didi records in Heerlen. It's far away from Amsterdam, but it's worth the trip if you wanna explore the beautiful old city called Maastricht that's fairly nearby too, and the surrounding areas of South Limburg are equally wonderful. Check out the store's website:

DIDI Recordshop, muziek en striphal Heerlen | Vinyl, singles, CD's, DVD's, strips

And facebook for some nice pictures and impressions:

Didi Muziek- en Striphal

I found great stuff here like a true double RL Led Zep II, some rare Springsteen stuff, and often saw multiple copies of practically any popular album of any popular artist (in the Netherlands).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    Marc Perman likes this.
  6. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

7. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Marc Perman likes this.
  8. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Marc Perman likes this.
  9. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I wish Marcel would come back to the Austin Record Show.

10. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Finally went there again today after almost two years of covid madness and I can safely say that it's still an amazing store! I browsed for over two hours and saw a US mono Pet Sounds, a 2014 mono Rubber Soul, a dozen different Sgt. Peppers and Dark Sides of the Moon, and many more amazing records. Actually went home with an album I'd been searching over 5 years for; an original 1962 mono pressing of Roy Orbison's Crying, great stuff!

Marc Perman likes this.
  11. Last time I was in Rotterdam (Nov. 2019), I found some very good stuff in the Velvet Music outlet there. It's 2 stories and is worth a visit. Also strong for Dutch releases if you have interest.

Marc Perman likes this.
  12. itisvinyl

itisvinyl Forum Resident

Far of the beaten tracks in a small village called Wagenberg is a place: Kay's Oddyssey. Great used records, some racks of specials/collectibles (first pressings and what not), some audiophile stuff. Great place to dig. Only the records though, the gear which is stacked up is not my cup of thee.

It is near Breda which is a nice town as well, but nothing like Utrecht, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Maastricht.

13. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

The beautiful city of Leyden (in the middle of Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague) has two great stores:
    - Velvet
    - Plato

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Is that medieval spelling ? All road signs and maps will say Leiden

15. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Ah, thought it was Leyden in English. Ok, Leiden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.