The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

In the Redbeard interview I posted Ray talks a fair bit about this song. The opening line was about a guy who frequented the pub Ray hung out at (along with a Monty Python member he was friends with) and the guy would actually sleep in a field and show up the Pub looking well refreshed and great the next day. Ray indicated the Pub and the people who went there were his inspiration for the song. He also (going back to Sleepwalker) confirmed that album started as a concept record. One thing, and we can all agree or disagree with Ray here, he said was that he really didn't write about himself that he would inhabit a character in a song like an actor: "finding my way inside the person or role like an actor would". I found that interesting. He mentions how Rock N Roll Fantasy was inspired by Elvis' death which hit him pretty hard (he was surprised that it did).

Of course Ray has said many different and conflicting things over the yrs too...

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Not really twisted about it, it works, I just think it could have been better sequenced...
    I haven't programmed a cd since about 1986 lol

3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Misfits is a great start to the album - Ray's vocal in particular is really good.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'm four songs into the album, and I'm liking it more on a closer listen.
    Hay Fever is lightweight but fun, and Black Messiah has some careless phrasing, but isn't really that bad, even if it is still an odd choice of song for a band trying to get into the US market.....
    So although I'll stick with believing it could have been sequenced better, perhaps it will get closer to Sleepwalker than my initial feelings felt it could....

5. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Misfits

A nice Spanish guitar intro to a terrific and understated performance by the band to start the album. To me this is clearly Ray sending a message to himself while recognizing he’s not alone, there’s plenty more misfits out there (and I should know). Unfortunately he closes the album with another call to arms, this one to the ‘little men’ of whom Ray, in some lines, considers himself a part of. That Ray. This song, though, has always spoken to me and while I’d refrain from calling it great, I do appreciate it being in my life.

6. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

You two will not stand alone. I join you in your one man wolf pack, making it three.

7. ThereOnceWasANote

Aside from the last two tracks I would agree it's a killer album.

8. pyrrhicvictory

A note on Clive Davis

With all the Clive talkin’ on the thread recently this morsel surfaced up from my brainpan. His amusing and often revealing autobiography ‘The Soundtrack of my Life’, which I read and enjoyed years ago, tells us a tale about Janis Joplin. Joplin’s manager, Albert Grossman, informed Mr. Davis that ‘she thinks it would be only fitting and proper that she ball you to cement the (record) deal.’ This offer Mr. Davis respectfully declines. The only concession by Ray at that rooftop Arista signing party was that he keep his concept albums to himself.

9. pyrrhicvictory

I’d like to make it a foursome, but i would amend it to most solid album since Muswell Hillbillies.

10. ThereOnceWasANote

Misfits

A song I can relate to very much. I don't think Ray wrote another song like this after Misfits. I would've started the album with Live Life but Misfits works fine opening up the album. The bridge is definitely a thing of beauty. The album is off to a nice start and the title track kicks off an album that for the most part contains songs about Misfit people or circumstances. Beautiful melody and guitar work in this one. A simple, but effective arrangement. A highlight of the Arista years. Never tire of listening to it.

11. ThereOnceWasANote

Nice to see Working At The Factory ranked pretty high! Great tune.

Steve62, ARL, Fortuleo and 6 others like this.
  12. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Our little group here has really done a nice job on “Misfits”. It’s a fantastic song that really connects. All I might add is that right from the beginning of the song, and I don’t believe I’ve heard it before, I could imagine Alejandro Escovedo covering it. It reminds me of Mott’s “ I Wish I Was Your Mother”. The only song I imagine I have heard on this album is “Rock N’ Roll Fantasy”, so we are off to a great start on the Misfits album for me.

Steve62, TeddyB, Fortuleo and 14 others like this.
  13. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

[​IMG]

someone photoshop a 4th wolf in here! LOL

14. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Love Misfits. It might not be the pinnacle of the Arista years, but it is right up there for me.

15. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

The Party is barely 4-members strong and dissidence already appears. You bunch of Misfits.

16. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Yukon Cornelius: “How do you like that? Even among misfits you’re a misfit”.
    (Sorry. This may be a US only pop culture reference. I’ve been waiting to use this all day.)

17. ThereOnceWasANote

I think your photo and name is one of my favorites on here!

18. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Me too. I love the show and to know there’s another misfit who likes both The Kinks and The Rockford Files is comforting in a weird misfitting way.

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

It may well be that this thread is nothing if not a tribute by & to glorious misfits!

20. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I ignored the last song for many years, but I will have lots of positive things to say about it. The underdog of the album. It will most likely make my top five from the album. It's hard to say since I like almost every song on here.

21. All Down The Line

OT:
    Just back from a record fair this hour and loads of Kinks vinyl albums on offer, wanted to buy a Preservation Act 1 but it was on Pickwick not RCA, a UK Lola LP but it was a whopping $220, a US You Really Got Me which was Stereo not Mono & less so a Low Budget (amongst others) that i just eyed with suspicion!

22. All Down The Line

You do realise @DISKOJOE that even I resisted going the U2 response to that post!:D

23. All Down The Line

Mark I am glad you qualified what AFL stood for as I was almost going to mention Buddy Franklin's impending 1000th career goal!
    Edit: (And it's glamour!) :hide:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  24. All Down The Line

You knew "Mr" Ed!

25. All Down The Line

Your last sentence is as valuable as any others ever written on this thread!
    I am with you 100% as this is something modern society desperately needs to help the individual and ultimately itself!