I'm on a trip to your town. Which record store should I hit?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mr. faded glory, Jul 6, 2021.

1. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

Music Millenium is my go-to in Portland, but when they closed Classical Millenium it really eliminated a big part of their clientele.

steelydanguy likes this.
  2. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

It used to be so much more amazing, believe me. When I lived in Japan from 1994-2005, I lived in the country but went to Tokyo every 6 weeks. Akihabara, Ochanomizu, Shinjuku, and Shibuya were my stops where I'd spend the whole day at a few select music shops and equipment dens. Those were the days. Akihabara is mostly Otaku shops now.

mr. faded glory likes this.
  3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

EM went down the drain in Seattle a couple months ago.

4. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

If you go to Salem, MA for Halloween in October, the Record Exchange is the place to go. Plenty of vinyl, CDs & DVDs and great staff, including Barrence Whitfield. The next town over, Beverly, there's a new vinyl place called Soundtracks. Finally, if you go north to Gloucester, there's Mystery Train Records, another great place.

uzn007 likes this.
  5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

St. Louis has several good to great record stores. Vintage Vinyl and Euclid are the top two I'd recommend to visitors. If you have extra time, you can hit up the good, smaller shops, like Dead Wax and Planet Score.

6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Focusing on used records... Raleigh doesn't have a lot of stores that are worth going out of your way for, but if you're in town anyway, check out:

Nice Price Books & Records - Not a huge stock, but I usually find something good for short money in the New Arrivals bin. They also have some unexpected gems in their dollar bin and they sell CDs, books, comics and movies as well.

Sorry State Records - Focused on punk, indie, metal, but their used stock covers all genres. As with Nice Price, it's worth digging through the New Arrivals and the cheap bins on the floor.

troggy likes this.
  7. Montréal

My top 5
    Beatnick
    Cheap Thrills
    Fin Du Vinyle
    CD Échange (must be seen to be believed)
    Les Bons Débarras

8. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

In New Orleans, hit up:

Euclid
    Domino Sound Record Shack
    The Mushroom
    Peaches
    Nola Mix

Just make sure to get there after me! :righton:

steelydanguy and uzn007 like this.
  9. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

The only place in town for new and used:

The Next Record Store. If you've been to The Last Record Store, it's the same place. There's more of an emphasis on vinyl than there used to be.

10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

What's happening with Elvis and that record player? It looks like he's either washing dishes in an inconveniently deep sink, or being pulled into Narnia through a wormhole in the tonearm.

zphage and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  11. flubmetal

flubmetal Active Member

in the Norman area, Guestroom is a mainstay. the hidden gem is a place called Monkey Feet in downtown OKC. the store is only open on the weekends, and the selection is mostly classic rock, but he carries great vintage pressings and Japanese imports.

Music Millennium is great, but I'd skip Everyday Music and go to Mississippi Records instead

steelydanguy and mr. faded glory like this.
  12. Jammin' Nuggets Music

Jammin' Nuggets Music New Member

In central Missouri, there is In The Groove in Jefferson City, MO, Hitt Records in Columbia, MO, Jammin' Nuggets Music and Josey's both in Sedalia, MO. There is also Rock N Sports Entertainment in Warrensburg, MO. He carries movies, games, Pokemon cards, and some records and other items.

zphage and mr. faded glory like this.
  13. Mance's Harmony Sovereign

Mance's Harmony Sovereign Well-Known Member

If you are in Worcester, Mass.:

First, you are a student, confused, or got lost on your way to Boston. A couple of good vinyl emporiums: 1. Jelly's Discs on Park Ave., right next door to Jelly's is That's Entertainment, which also has vinyl, other media, new and vintage toys, and vintage collectibles. 2. Joe's Albums on Main St. next to the illustrious Mechanics Hall, which is a great venue for live music. (Tangential anecdote: the city geniuses in Worcester decided to install brass lettering on the sidewalk reading "Mechanics Hall Circa 1857" -- even though historical records are completely unambiguous that Mechanics Hall was, in fact, built in exactly 1857. I mean, it's old, but it's not Rome...).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2021
    zphage, uzn007 and mr. faded glory like this.
  14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Shot in the dark – you know of any stores with a good selection of used CDs in Raleigh or anywhere surrounding it (preferably the east side)? The only places I've ended up returning to are the two Schoolkids locations and, due to their unbeatable prices, Record Krate. The stock doesn't rotate very well at those places.

15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Nice Price Books has some CDs. Not a huge selection but they have a couple/few hundred at any given time.

Pauper's Used Books in Clayton has some CDs, focusing more on mainstream rock/country.

I'm trying to remember if I've seen CDs anywhere else recently and coming up blank.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  16. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Thanks. I tried Nice Price twice (heh) and came up empty both times. Good selection of records, but that's not my thing. Raleigh is really the only town I've tried, though – Backaround in Fayetteville had a great used CD selection and I liked the owner a lot, but the prices were very high and I ended up having to put half of my finds back (although the owner graciously cut me a discount on what I did buy). I've only been there once so I don't know what the stock rotation is like. Hopefully it's better than the Raleigh Schoolkids, which I love but they seem to only shuffle about 50 CDs in between each visit out of the thousands they have for sale (at least for the artists I'm interested in).

uzn007 likes this.
  17. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Wax Trax and Twist and Shout anre still worthwhile stops, but there's an even better place now: Recollect Records, which has a great selection of rare stuff at very fair prices.

18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Wax Trax puts just about everything over $15 collectible cept the overpriced VG commons like Pink Floyd/Fleetwood Mac etc. on eBay.....expect nothing much great. Twist And Shout is okay but again a lot end up online and never in the racks like old jazz unless beat to pulp. The amount of non-returnable new stock of LP and CD is mind boggling that just sits there. Deep pockets to cover it I guess.

19. pressureworld

pressureworld Forum Resident

In Atlanta, these four places are all good.

Wax N Facts
    Fantasyland
    Ella Guru
    Wuxtry

mr. faded glory and uzn007 like this.
  20. Oscar Calero

Oscar Calero Member

Infinity records one of the best record stores in Long Islan New York

21. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Will be in Geneva next week any recommendations for used?

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

glad to hear that store is still there. a couple years ago one of my coworkers took a picture of my "last record store" sticker on my lunchbox and sent it to her friend, who was the daughter of the owner. she told me they were planning on selling.

23. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

None in my town. Closest would probably be about a 25 minute drive East.

24. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

Being 3000+ miles away I have no idea about the quality of these stores, but google maps disagrees with your assessment of the lack of record stores in Sacramento.

Google Maps

25. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

I used to go to That's Entertainment in the early 80's with my father comic shopping. And I went there 3+ days a week in 1990 dating the woman I eventually married. So there are a few other reasons to go there. :)