Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

This is where I read that. Not sure if this was accurate reporting or not. Maybe they meant the new version of the anime is 7 minutes total?

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair Premieres March 27 (Updated)

Tarantino had said in 2009 that while he would not be modifying the existing footage for the longer cut, he is adding "a whole new section" to Kill Bill Chapter 3: The Origin of O-Ren, the chapter which the anime studio Production I.G had already animated for the film's original theatrical release in 2003.

For the extended edition, Production I.G produced a new seven-minute sequence. Tarantino described the sequence in 2009: "I actually wrote a much longer script for the anime section during O-Ren's revenge chapter. Remember the guy with the long hair that kills her father? It's like, what happened to that dude? Well, I wrote it and it was the biggest, most elaborate thing I wrote — her taking him down."

And this is QT's full quote on it:

Hope we can believe in - Tarantino talks Kill Bill redux - The Quentin Tarantino Archives

“We’ve actually added some things to it. We did a whole little chapter that I wrote and designed for the animated sequence, that we never did, because we figured, back when it was gonna be one big movie, it was going to be too long, so we didn’t do it. So when we were talking about re-releasing it, they asked is there anything you can put in, and I said no I put everything in there, but… there’s one sequence that we wouldn’t even have to shoot! So we got together with Production IG and did it, and it’s really cool. So it’s this little seven minute sequence, it’s really cool, it’s in the O-Ren chapter.” – Quentin Tarantino

budwhite and Carl80 like this.
  2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Wow that’s really interesting, cheers, so sounds like there is a lot more anime scenes to be found ! So it’s confirmed from that last paragraph that there’s a longer anime story in the whole bloody affair, would love it to see the light of day, maybe when he retires extended cuts of everything might come out hopefully.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I poked around for info online before I posted and felt confused about whether or not "Whole Bloody" had received exhibition. It sounded like it had but it wasn't especially clear.

So I'll make my desire clear: I'd like for "WBA" to be made readily available on Blu-ray in all markets!

SunSon and Carl80 like this.
  4. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

That link was taking me too the UK site and the normal release, it’s this one if it works-

https://www.amazon.com/Kill-Bill-Vo...s=kill+bill+vol+1+japan&qid=1626735932&sr=8-1

Well back of the sleeve says region 2 so maybe not but I thought USA/Japan where the same region code ?

Looks like the run time on the back of the sleeve says 113 mins.

6. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I think Japan is region A for Blu-ray, but region B for DVD (U.S.A. is A).

A 2011 post says the Japanese Blu-ray went back to the censored version, and that no Blu-ray of the uncensored one exists anywhere.

Carl80 likes this.
  7. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Not only were those old cars the size of a studio apartment but noisy too. It's crucial that Rick is annoyed by the lack of a muffler while three strangers creep up Celio Dr. I also noticed that when Cliff arrives at the ranch Squeaky is watching TV and annouces "That's a car." followed by "That's a strange car". I'm guessing QT drives something very quiet, the kind of thing one could use to sneak up.

rodrigosanche55 likes this.
  8. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I never quite liked/bought that line of dialogue considering Spahn Ranch at that point was almost solely a tourist destination (Horsey Rides) with different/strange cars arriving daily.

rodrigosanche55 likes this.
  9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

DVD region codes are numbers , 1 is USA, Japan and 2 European.

Yeah that’s right there’s no blu ray of the censored version, I remember looking everywhere for it and reading up years ago, just the DVD.

10. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Yeah, they're numbers. Japan is 2 though, not 1.

And you meant there's no Blu-ray of the UNcensored version.

These are the DVD region codes:
    • Region 1 - Canada, the United States and U.S. territories.
    • Region 2 - Japan, Europe, South Africa, the Middle East (including Egypt) and Greenland.
    • Region 3 - Southeast Asia, and East Asia (including Hong Kong).
    • Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean.
    • Region 5 - Eastern Europe, Russia, the Indian Subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia.
    • Region 6 - China.
    • Region 7 - reserved for unspecified special use.
    • Region 8 - Special international venues for air and oceanic travel.

Carl80 likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Just saw this again after buying the 4k UHD. Even better this time around. I would have toned down the ending some but that's not Tarantino's style.

Jrr, Nightfly68, Greenalishi and 3 others like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, just when you think you know everything about the film. Some of the shots of the Van Nuys drive-in theater were miniatures built by John Dykstra! Photos below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just assumed it was a set or something! Shows what I know. I'm sure @Steve Hoffman will remember how cool the Van Nuys Drive-In was, back in the day...

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I just borrowed the audiobook from my library via the Libby app. It's nice that I qualify for two different libraries - Kansas City Public Library, and another one called Mid-Continent Public Library. If one doesn't have it, the other one might.

[​IMG]

If you don't have one, you really should get a public library card. You don't actually have to go to the library to get physical books - all of them use different apps to borrow books electronically, both for reading on phones or tablets and audiobook downloads.

You might as well - your local taxes already pay for it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    ssmith3046, SunSon, jdrueke and 2 others like this.
  15. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

You can also stream movies for free on the Kanopy channel on Roku. You just need a library card for access to a huge library of fantastic films!

Kanopy - Stream Classic Cinema, Indie Film and Top Documentaries

SandAndGlass, Chris DeVoe and hi_watt like this.
  16. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Amazing this, thanks for the pics, One of my favourite scenes in the film when it pans above the drive through by his trailer, what years was it in operation, 60’s ?

Jrr, Simon A and kouzie like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

It's amazing the number of media sources you can access via your phone for free with the library card. Here are four that I use:

[​IMG]

RB Digital and PressReader get me current magazines and newspapers.

adm62, maui jim, Scopitone and 3 others like this.
  18. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Well said. Also, Libby is the app for Overdrive, an excellent source of e-books and audiobooks from the library.

At my library, if Overdrive does not have something, I can request 1 item per day to be added. I counted once, and they had added something like 30 items I requested.

Plus with Overdrive, I like that you can import your borrowed Kindle books right into your Kindle library for easy access on Kindle or Kindle app.

19. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Just out of the blue (and apropos of nothing), I decided to put on OUATIH before Instagram reminded me that August 8-10 was the anniversary of the murders.
    I’m choosing not to read too much into it, and merely chalking it up to being reminded of it by “the dog days of summer”.

I love this movie.

DME1061, SunSon, Nightfly68 and 5 others like this.
  20. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Love it. Often, I feel Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is Tarantino’s best.

JohnG, DME1061, Simon A and 4 others like this.
  21. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

The movie was released at the end of July and I get the dog days of summer feeling for it also.
    I thought about watching it a couple of days ago.

Nogoodnik, Simon A and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Just watched it last week (for the 3rd time now) and I think its brilliant. I pick up more each time I view it.

Bowie Fett, Simon A, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Favorite scene;
    The Rick Dalton and Marvin Shwarz meeting in the restaurant bar with all the clips of Rick's movies and TV shows.

Carl80, Bowie Fett, Simon A and 4 others like this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

"I want to send you greetings from my wife, Mary Alice Schwarrrrrrrrrz" cracks me up every time.

BadJack, Carl80, Bowie Fett and 3 others like this.
  25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

and when Rick is sitting down the way he looks at Mr Shwarz's hand as it pats him on his shoulder