Rubber Soul CD - Canadian Pressing Featuring Original UK Mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by button, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My Revolver is a Cinram but it has the full intro of I Want To Tell You so it's likely the same mastering. I couldn't hear any hiss between tracks on it nor on my DA Help! but that may very well be my hearing.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, you can see it here:

The tape hiss (light blue) cuts off right at 2:37.5, while there's some low level "stuff" before the start of the next song at 2:40.7. Solid gray = digital silence (present on the common CD on top) while the low level noises on the Canadian CD (that would be just about impossible to hear unless you were specifically making a point of trying to hear them) show up as small specs of color on the gray background.

As above.

SinnerSaint and Adam9 like this.
  3. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Seeing the visual above makes it easier to understand than trying to explain it all. Perfect!

lukpac likes this.
  4. Just chiming in that there's a Help! Disque Americ on the Marketplace if anyone's interested.

moheganer2 likes this.
  5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Is the original mix Canadian Rubber Soul balance between the channels the same as the 2009 mono box version?

6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

On the original mix Canadian Rubber Soul Nowhere Man has the vocal on the right channel louder and the instruments on the left quieter, like the Parlophone vinyl. The 2009 mono box boosts the instruments and lowers the vocal a bit on the stereo mix.
    I haven't compared the other tracks, but this one was noticeable without comparing.

7. S. P. Honeybunch

Wow, didn't imagine that the mono box would be Dexterized like that... ;)

8. S. P. Honeybunch

Made a CD-R for car listening, using our host's EQ and balance suggestions from this thread OP:
    SH Spotlight - EQ SUGGESTIONS FROM SH to help the sound of Canada Beatles "HELP" - "RUBBER SOUL" CDs

I used Audacity to make the EQ adjustments. Audacity has three types of Graphic EQ styles: cubic, b-spline, and cosine. B- spline gave me the best result, as it isn't too narrow of an EQ adjustment. It made the sound much smoother and balanced.

I found that reducing the left channel by 2 dB on 10 of the 14 tracks gave me good results for balance. For the other four tracks:
    • "Drive My Car", I reduced left channel by 2 dB, but also added 1 dB of gain to the right channel
    • "Norwegian Wood", reduced left channel by 1 dB
    • "Think for Yourself", reduced left channel by 2 dB and added 1 dB of gain to right channel
    • "What Goes On", reduced right channel by 2 dB and added 1 dB of gain to left channel

9. Cuyler

Cuyler Forum Resident

I was able to find a Disque Americ pressing of "Rubber Soul" on eBay and got it (I think) for a decent price. The sound is great; to echo what others have said, the reverb is analog (since I believe it is sourced from the same tapes used for the 1965 UK LP), and the stereo separation, while at first jarring, is definitely an artifact of that era, for better or for worse. The only word I can use to describe the sound is smooth--it sounds very analog to me, and I really enjoy it.

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Just saw Help! Disc Americ at the library, is it still sought after? Should I offer money for it? :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Guess not.

12. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Ha ha.. Don't be so impatient! :)

I think that @lukpac will know the precise details, but (compared to the original stereo mixes in the mono CD box) this should be a direct copy of the master that has not been messed with regards NR, lip smacks, vocal pops etc.

Certainly with RUBBER SOUL, the lip smacks at the beginning of IN MY LIFE have been removed, so there may have been some "tinkering" with HELP!

Drifter and lukpac like this.
  13. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

If Dizzy Ms. Lizzy has none of the fake reverb, then it’s legit!

14. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

That's the one you want, Drifter.

Crimson Witch and Drifter like this.
  15. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

I am puzzled about that Revolver question (canadiense vs worlwide pre-2009 versions). Apart different fades and silences, do they originate from the same mastering? Have they the same sound? Same EAC peak leves?

coolsound likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They are otherwise identical.

17. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Ok, thanks.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The University of Calgary's Digital Collections is moving to a new website, and at the moment, there isn't much there from the EMI Music Canada collection. However, I've been told more is coming online, including Beatles material, possibly by this summer. And they do have U-matic tapes for Help! and Revolver (along with 36 others), which are presumably the ones used for the DA and Cinram CDs.

SinnerSaint, Paul P., jamesc and 5 others like this.
  19. advancecharmander

advancecharmander listening to electric ladyland

I just recently got the Rubber Soul Disque Americ disc (for a relatively low price!), and I really do prefer the sound to the 2009 remaster, though that's still a good alternative. It makes me want to seek out the Help! CD as well, if it's going to sound as good as the Rubber Soul disc.

20. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

The canadian CD has a pretty significant rolloff in the high frequencies. Also it doesn't reach the full 22050hz of a CD just like the other Beatles discs from that time.
    BUT, they didn't tinker with it like they did on the Mono disc in 2009. Lipsmacks and all are still there. So for a more accurate representation it's my prefered version.

Drifter likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No it doesn't.

That's simply the A/D conversion used at the time. Doesn't matter.

Drifter and Dan The Man1 like this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Revisiting the issue of when these Canadian CDs were manufactured:

We already know from the date on the U-matic tape for Rubber Soul that the CDs couldn't have been manufactured prior to April 6, 1990. However, I just noticed something about a possible end date:

Cinram discs had date codes as part of the matrix. #951106E means that Cinram pressing of Help! was glass mastered on November 6, 1995. That's mere weeks prior to the release of Anthology 1 (and almost surely *after* the Anthology 1 discs had been manufactured). It appears that Rubber Soul and Revolver were also glass mastered by Cinram that same week. Whether there was more than one pressing run (and also whether additional glass masters were made, either before or after) is unclear. But presumably the remixes weren't manufactured until some time in 1996, at least.

23. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

From memory, "CDP7" was used for CDs in longboxes, and "C2" were without longboxes.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd be curious if you have further details, but offhand that seems unlikely, as (at least in some cases?) it was "C2" that was on the long box and "CDP" that was on the CD and jewel case inserts. One example:

CD Album: The Beatles - Past Masters Volume Two (1988)

25. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

This is just from memory, I think I might have read it in ICE. I could have it mixed up.

lukpac likes this.