Van Morrison Album by Album Discussion: Part 1 (1968-1977)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

yes it would be telling!!!! in more ways than one.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm embarassed to admit it, but I've never heard Astral Weeks. Just one of those records that I somehow never got around to buying.

With regard to Moondance, I'm afraid I can't be a contrarian - I think it's as great as everyone else does. Side one of Moondance is up there with side one of Sticky Fingers and side one of Reckoning as the greatest ever rock album side of all time, imho.

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I should clarify my above post by saying that the tracks recorded with the Astral Weeks players were not released. Those songs were re-recorded at A&R studios.

4. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I was hoping you'd see my post, John.:wave:
    My comment was made in kindness, of course.

5. Clarkophile

See if you can find a used copy. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it sometime. As you might've gleaned from other threads, it's a Great Divider of an album that puts folks squarely in the "Love It" or "Hate It" camps.
    I don't think I've ever met anyone from the "Indifferent To It" camp.

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Too many records, too little time.

7. Clarkophile

The loss is entirely mine, then.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I ever see a copy on vinyl, I'll pick it up. Right now, I'm happy with the two Van albums I do own: Moondance and St. Dominic's Preview.

9. Clarkophile

Please join us for St. Dom.

10. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Moondance is the first Van Morrison studio album that I owned. It's a masterpiece to me. In my opinion it's been topped by some albums he did later but it is an excellent effort and an easy album to listen to straight through. I admit I don't play it as much as I used to, it still comes out from time to time and "Into The Mystic" will always be in my top five Van songs.
    One of those classic albums that stands out as a virtual greatest hits collection.

11. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

If you're only going to own two Van albums, it's hard to argue with these two. They'd be two of my top three (with Astral Weeks).

12. DJ WILBUR

Oh I'd argue, you'd need one from each decade; 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and this decade, that'd be bare minimum to me as minor and major masterpieces abound in each decade, but we'll chat about all this in due time and maybe persuade both of you to scratch the surface a little harder. :laugh:

13. Clarkophile

Another argument from me, too!

We wouldn't have bothered to undertake a career-spanning thread like this unless we felt there were many major works in Van's catalogue, not just the acknowledged critical fave (Astral) and the acknowledged commercial success (Moondance).

14. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

Note that I said "If you're only going to own two Van albums"... that's a big "if"!

A very quick look at the list shows no fewer than 14 Van albums I consider must-have's, but that's for my musical taste (the only Van album I don't currently own is You Win Again). If someone's only a casual Van listener (yes, they do exist), I stand by my statement that you couldn't do much better than Moondance and St. Dominic's Preview. Moondance in particular, with it's short and very tightly written and performed songs, seems to appeal to many folks who find much of Van's catalog not to their liking.

And you're a more dedicated Van listener, the "one from each decade" can't possibly be a valid criteria... how could you possibly keep only one of Moondance, Saint Dominic's Preview, It's Too Late To Stop Now, Veedon Fleece, and Into The Music? I'd be looking for a gun to save myself the agony! That was Van's decade for sure.:righton:

15. DJ WILBUR

:hide: duly noted!!!!

16. Clarkophile

By both of us.:hide: :hide: :thumbsup:

17. JayB

JayB Senior Member

EXACTLY why I'm reading this thread! I want to learn where I need to go with the rest of my VM catalog!

I admit my Van knowelge/albums I own basically ends after around 1979..(The album with "Full Force Gale"..jeez I'm drawing a blank with name of the album title!) After that I don't have much..

That being said, his solo output up until then is on par with anyone IMO!

I can't add much that hasn't been said already other then "Astral Weeks" and "Moondance" are near prefect albums IMHO..and there aren't many albums I'll say that about..

I listned to "Tupulo Honey" straight through last night on the ride home for for the first time in years..I'll post comments when we get there! :)

18. Clarkophile

Hey, cool. You may find yourself drawn into the Cult of Van though, where you end up tracking down everything...practically becomes a full-time job.
    The album with "Full Force Gale" is Into the Music from '79.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts.:righton:

19. DJ WILBUR

bump....We're still on Moondance. Weekenders in here, pull it out and post your illuminations on this one. we'll be moving on to Street Choir next week.....

Many of you are still among the missing....:tsk: and we're waiting for you:whistle:

20. Clarkophile

Yeah, I know there's more Vanaddicts out there. I've seen your avatars.

21. Clarkophile

22. DJ WILBUR

23. Moondance is amongst my top 5 Van albums and was my entry into his work, as I guess it was for many. And my entry into Moondance was 'Into the Mystic' .

I'm not telling you anything new if I say that I still can't get over the Side 1/Side 2 issue. It's not that I dislike the tracks on Side 2 - there just doesn't seem to be anything left to say after Into The mystic closes. Five artistic visions that lead from first encounters with a world full of promise and richness (And It Stoned Me), through the awakening of deeper feelings and passions, just being crazy for someone else (Moondance) onto a higher plane of ... who knows what? Just perfect. And I have to say I have never tired of listening to any of those 5 tracks.

One of my greatest pleasures this year was when my 16 year old daughter chose Moondance as the music for the dance she had to choreograph for a Performing Arts Award - still have trouble getting her to listen to 'Cleaning Windows' though - but that's for another day.

I'm also in a position where I can own up to never having owned or even heard 'Astral Weeks' until today. I've listened to it through a couple of times just to familiarise myself. I've decided I'm going to fill in the blanks in my collection as we go along - just seems the best way to do it.

Thanks for getting this thread up and running and keeping it going. Much appreciated.

Best Wishes
    David

24. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

You wouldn't happen to be referring to me, would you? Love the new avatar, BTW. You have excellent taste. ;)

So, Moondance. "Moondance" is one of my all-time favorite songs by anyone, and truthfully the only reason I bought the CD. However, in listening to it a couple times this weekend, I realize there's more to the album than just "Moondance." Well, "Caravan" I also knew (I always think of Johnny Fever playing that song on WKRP).

"Into The Mystic" seems to be a favorite among you all, and I like it, too. One song that hasn't been written about much is "Glad Tidings." Besides "Moondance", that might be my favorite song on the record. It has somewhat of a "Brown Eyed Girl" vibe IMO. Since radio has forever killed dead "Brown Eyed Girl" for me, it's nice to have sort of an alternate "Girl." Before everyone comes after me with torches and pitchforks for saying "Glad Tidings" is my second-favorite track on Moondance, keep in mind I'm just a casual Van fan. :)

25. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Aww..I LOVE "Cleaning Windows!" :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.